main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pirates of the Carribean. VFX by ILM.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by jp-30, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, there's a new Disney movie in the works, inspired by the Disneyland ride "Pirates of the Carribean", with ILM at the helm. :p

[image=http://bventertainment.go.com/movies/pirates/images/POC_teaser_poster.jpg]

The ride, as some of you may know, also inspired Ron Gilbert's LucasFilm Games / LucasArts classic adventures Monkey Island 1 & 2. It's no co-incidence that MI2 ended in a theme park.

Anyway, back to the movie...

Set in the Caribbean Sea in the 17th century, this is the story of a gentleman rogue of a pirate, Jack Sparrow (Depp), who teams up with the daughter (Knightley) of a governor (Pryce) to stop the evil plan of a ship of dangerous pirates (led by Rush) who are trying to reverse an ancient curse that leaves them stuck between life and death, with the light of the moon revealing their skeletons, like some kind of undead monsters. [hr]
    Starring: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Geoffrey Rush, Jack Davenport, Jonathan Pryce

Directed by: Gore Verbinski

Produced by: Jerry Bruckheimer

Written by: Jay Wolpert, Stuart Beattie, Terry Rossio, Ted Elliott

[hr][/blockquote]

Concept art and teaser trailer here; [link=http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/piratesofthecaribbean.html] movies.yahoo.com [/link]

Official site (with poster and trailer) here;
    [link=http://bventertainment.go.com/movies/pirates/index.html] bventertainment.go.com/movies/pirates/index.html [/link]

Any comments on the ILM effects in the trailer, the concept art etc?

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    A few things to be aware of. Not all the concept art if any was done by ILM. The drawing of Johnny Depp and that one of Geoffrey Rush, might not be, and certainly the one with the arm under the moonlight isn't, since it's signed Crash. I'm guessing it's by "Crash" McCreery, top artist at Stan Winston Studio. If you ever seen his concept art for the Jurassic Park movies you see it's close to those 3 pkictures.

The other 2 pics might be ILM. The one with the skeletons underwater is signed by someone else though I can't make it.

As far as the trailer it might not have any ILM work at all. The skeleton foot seems like a practical (animatronic VFX), but if that's CG, let me just pick up my jaw. The CG ocean and island might have been ILM or someone else. Sometimes I've heard other companies do the first teaser until there is enough material for the actual trailer. I've heard the first Hulk teaser was done by someone else, not ILM.

Anyway, first time I've heard this movie I hated the concept (just remember the Country Bears waste of celuloid). But now that Gore Verbinski is attached I'm really pumped. Seems to have a handle for FX and drama (The Ring) but also has been good with comedies (Mousehunt and The Mexican), and he propably has the right sensibilities for the project.

3. -Edward-

-Edward- Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 28, 2002
    i'm quite looking forward to pirates of the carribean :)

4. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm looking forward too POTC too.
    I think it's about time Disney did a big huge summer movie of this scale. I can't wait for a trialer.

5. Gardulo

Gardulo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Isnt Olando Bloom filming LOTR The Kings Return or something like that?

6. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Nope, Orlando, and the rest of the cast finished filming the LOTR trilogy long ago, they filmed all 3 films continuosly (back to back so to speak).

7. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Return of the King has already been filmed with the other two Lord of the Rings films.
    They were filmed at the same time from 99 to 2000. Although they may film a few pick up shot before the film is released this Christmas 2003.

8. ladyboy

ladyboy Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2003
    It's not just that ILM are doing the fx, but the supervisor is none other than John Knoll, main man on the prequels. I expect a very high standard of work on this movie, with extensive use of cloth simulation for the skeleton pirates, and fluid dynamics, which don't always work so well but ilm have done the best work in this area to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.