Pittsburgh Comic Con Update!

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh, PA' started by Noble_Kale, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noble_Kale Jedi Knight

star 2
    Greetings Everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well! I just wanted to up date you all with some things about the Pittsburgh Comic Con. Myself Crimson Knight met with the Promoters of the Pittsburgh Comic Con again today and I have some info to update you all on.

Here are some of the items we discussed:

Extra Rooms

- 'Star Wars Family Feud' and Sal's Collecting Panel - They have no extra rooms available for these activities. They are completely booked up with the all the rooms for panels and other activities. They were interested in Sal doing his panel on Star Wars Collecting for next year. They said they start planning the next Comic Con 2 weeks after the present one is over. So we can / need to get intouch with them then to start planning things for next years Con. They can be more flexible with things like that then. Right now it is too close to the start of this years Con they have almost everything set in stone.

- CCG / Role-playing Room - They were able to give us access to one of the rooms that are being used for the Gaming Tourney's for us to use for a Star Wars CCG game tourney. We will be able to use the 'Somerset Room'. It is located next to or near the bar, added bonus :) :D [face_devil] !

There are something's however we need to do to use this room for the CCG Tourney. We are going to have to run and organize this tourny! They said we need to have instructions / rules of how the games / Tourney will be played, dates for when the tourney will take place (i.e. Fri, Sat and Sun or Just Sat, etc....), set times for the tourney (i.e. registration time, times for when the tourney will take place for example like from 10am until 5pm or such), set the 'Style' of game / decks to be used, and last but not least Fee / Prizes for the tourney. With the Fee for the tourney they asked that we charge a $3 entrance fee for the tourney that money will go back to the Pittsburgh Comic Con to help recoup the cost of the room. We will need to include that in our rules / instructions for the tourney. They said prizes are a big thing and will help attract other people to play that are outside our group.

We will need to get this tourney organized ASAP! They need to know all the above mentioned details of the tourney for us to have it. I for one have no idea how the CCG game is played or what needs to be done to setup a tourney. I have never played this kind of game before Star Wars, Magic or what have you. Hopefully our resident CCG gaming experts (Ben Ethus and Shewski)would be able to take this and run with it to get it organized.

Star Wars Actors

- More Star Wars Actors - They said they are in final negotiations with a Star Wars promoter who organizes these events with the actors Agents. Drum role please!!! They are going to be bringing in Peter Mayhew and up to 3 additional actors with him! Wohoo, Chewy in the House!!! However, Peter and the other actors coming with him will only be at the Con for Saturday only. They could not say who else would be coming with Peter because they are still ironing that part out.

- Star Wars Panel - The Star Wars panel will take place on Saturday, April, 26 from 4:30pm to 5:30pm. It will be with the Femi Taylor (Oola), Amy Allen (Aayla Secura) and Rena Owen (Taun We) and will be called the 'Femmes Of The Force Panel'. They will discuss the role of women in the Star Wars saga.

Hotel

- They were contacted by the Radison the hotel is completely sold out of Hotel Rooms for the weekend of the Comic Con! They suggest that if any one needs a room try the Holiday Inn which is close by.

That's all I have for now. I will update when more info becomes available.

NK
  2. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Great news, thanks guys!
  3. ben_ethus Jedi Master

star 4
    Greetings, blokes.

Just to clarify, it is the Star Wars CCG (made by Decipher), and not the newer TCG (made by Wizards of the Coast) we're supposed to be running a tourney for, right?

Also, were we always in charge of running a tourney? For some reason, it strikes me that this is the first I've heard of it...? I knew we were going to have a table, but thought that was the extent of what we were allowed to do/have at the Con.

I wouldn't have a problem helping set things up, if it really is to be a CCG tourney, assuming I can even make it to the Con with my work schedule being the crappy way it is.

At any rate, I'll talk to Shewski, and maybe we can hash something out.

Tired from work,
    Yours Truly
  4. jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    huh...wha.....we're gettin' Chewbacca? We're GETTIN" Chewie!!WHAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOO!
  5. DarthDahc Jedi Master

star 3
  6. Saberpilot Jedi Master

star 4
    CHEWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *does happy jedi dance*
    (and yes, you will see the happy jedi dance in person many, many times at comicon..)
  7. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Chewie KICK BUTT!

Let the other be Wedge, Let the other be Wedge Let the other be Wedge.
  8. jedi_master_sal Jedi Master

star 4
    My guess, and that's all it is right now, is that it will be Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett/Classic Trilogy) or Porkins.
  9. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh please let it be Boba fett, my son loves him and if I can get his autograph for him I'll be ahero
  10. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Jeremy Bulloch will be at Chiller Theatre Expo in New Jersey April 25th - 27th. My gueses are Warwick Davis and Kenny Baker.
  11. SithTahiri Jedi Knight

star 3
    Chewie is coming! Yeah!. I hope I can go!
  12. Saberpilot Jedi Master

star 4
    KENNY BAKER~!?!!/
    *dies* ^_^
  13. Shewski Jedi Master

star 4
    OK- minor updates and questions on the CCG Tourney front

This room we can use for the tourney, provided that we get it organized, correct?

I've talked to my local Tournament directors- and they mentioned that there already may be a tournment in the works at the Comicon. I don't know who is running it- maybe an official organizer or something. Is this separate from the potential tourney listed above?

If it is, then would there be an "official" tourney and then a SWAP-sponsored one? I know the TDs were going to play in the "official" one, but I'm basically confused on this. An big offical tourney would sap interest in any others run by local folks- hopefully I will be able to get a hold of who is running this mystery tourney.
  14. Noble_Kale Jedi Knight

star 2
    According to the Promoters last week when myself and CK talked to them no one was doing a Star Wars CCG Tourny at the Comic Con. They thought that it was a great idea and if we would get this organized we would then be the 'Offical' Star Wars CCG Tourny for the Comic Con which would then the tourny would be held in the 'Somerset Room'. We would then be listed on the website and in the program as the sponsors of the tourny, that being S.W.A.P. That is also why we would need to charge an entry fee so they could recoup some of the cost for renting the room from the Expo Mart / Radison for us to use it for the tourny. Also that is why they gave me the phone numbers of the Decipher Rep organizing the LOTR Tourny so he might be able ot donate some prizes for the Star Wars Tourny. I hope this helps some. Shewski PM me if you need more info on this or need some more questions answered.
  15. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Friday night will be a "Movie and Munchie" night for Fanforce members. Location: Noble Kale's hotel room at the Radisson (exact location will be announced after he checks in that weekend) Time: 8PM. Cost: Nothing. But please bring some munchies (chips or pop) with you.

Please let me know if you are interested in coming . . .
  16. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'll need to talk it over with the parental units since they'd either have to take me down or gimme the car until sunday
  17. Shewski Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, I'll try to drum up some interest in my SW CCG Group. You answered all my questions!
  18. Saberpilot Jedi Master

star 4
    *raises hand along w/tom*
    I will also have to check with the parental units on this one... :D
  19. Jeffysan Jedi Knight

Sounds like a nice relaxed way to get to meet some of you. Won't know If I can make it until later in April.
  20. DarthDahc Jedi Master

star 3
    I can probably pick you tom, and whitney up and take you back if thats coo
  21. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
    You'd come way up here to pick me up thanks Chad
  22. SithTahiri Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey. I just found out I am able to come to Comic Con!
  23. RebelDawn Jedi Master

star 4
    What is the exact date for the comicon?
  24. DarthDahc Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey, no problem, just make an extra 5 bucks so I can get some gas money
  25. Jeffysan Jedi Knight

RebelDawn, the Con is April 25,26 and 27. Hope to see ya there!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.