main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Pittsburgh Comicon Planning Thread (Updated 4/05/2006)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Fluke_Groundrunner, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Pittsburgh Comicon
    April 21-23
    Pittsburgh ExpoMart

SWAP will run a table and charity raffle, conduct several panels (costuming, props, etc), and host the Fan Force Awards Banquet.

SWAP Table
    Prefered method of contact: email, vlattimo@gmail.com
    Info:
    There will be a volunteer schedule. I need someone that can commit to a friday for sure. I will be there friday but I'd like to have someone there with me to give breaks or whatever. I will post a sign up sheet at the February meeting. If you do choose to sign up for a period of time please show up for it. If you can't make it please make arrangements with me in advance so I can find a replacement.

I'm working on a 4 page brochure focusing on us for the con. I have limited space available if anyone would like to contribute. Other things I need for the table: a banner, photo albums, ???you guys tell me???

Check in point for other Fan Forces...If you are coming from out of state please stop on by and say hi. This is also where you can stop and check in for the banquet. More details to come from greencat on that.

Charity Raffle
    Info:
    If at all possible I would like to have two baskets for the raffle. A grand prize and a first runner up. I have commitments from two vendors for donations but that won't cover it. If you would like to donate something (no matter how small) for the baskets please let me know. The baskets themsleves will be donated from a local basket making company I have a contact for. The proceeds from the raffle will go to the Sago Mine Fund to help the families of the mine tragedy.

Fan Force Awards Banquet
    Info: Fan Force Awards Banquet Thread.

Panels
    Info:
    The Tragedy of Star Wars
    The original trilogy has long been accepted as an example of the classic heros' journey of Mythology. Explore the idea of the prequel trilogy as a greek tragedy with it's hero doomed to fall because of his fatal flaws. Sponsored by the Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh.
    (Saturday 11:00-12:00PM, in Radisson Monroe II)

Star Wars Collecting
    The basics of Star Wars collecting, including advice on buying, selling, condition, grading and displaying. Sponsored by the Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh.
    (Saturday 2:00-3:00PM, in Radisson Monroe II)

Building Your Own Lightsaber
    Learn techniques of building a custom lightsaber hilt using a varity of approaches, materials and skill levels. Sponsored by the Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh.
    (Saturday 4:00-5:00PM, in Radisson Monroe II)

Star Wars Costuming
    A presentation on costuming from developing a pattern to the finished product, including a question and answer peroid. Sposored by the Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh.
    (Sunday 11:00-12:00PM, in Radisson Monroe II)

Inviting other Fan Forces/Spreading the word
    Info: So far members form the following fan forces plan to attend:
    Pittsburgh (duh!)
    Boston, MA
    Buffalo, NY
    Rochester, NY
    Shenandoah, VA
    Foxboro, MA
    Cleveland, OH
    Clarksburg, WV
    Detroit (maybe)
    Syracuse, NY

Inviting Star Wars guests to banquet dinner
    Info:

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    SWAP Table
    Info: There will be a volunteer schedule. I need someone that can commit to a friday for sure. I will be there friday but I'd like to have someone there with me to give breaks or whatever. I will post a sign up sheet at the February meeting. If you do choose to sign up for a period of time please show up for it. If you can't make it please make arrangements with me in advance so I can find a replacement.

I'm working on a 4 page brochure focusing on us for the con. I have limited space available if anyone would like to contribute. Other things I need for the table: a banner, photo albums, ???you guys tell me???

Check in point for other Fan Forces...If you are coming from out of state please stop on by and say hi. This is also where you can stop and check in for the banquet. More details to come from greencat on that.

Charity Raffle
    Info: If at all possible I would like to have two baskets for the raffle. A grand prize and a first runner up. I have commitments from two vendors for donations but that won't cover it. If you would like to donate something (no matter how small) for the baskets please let me know. The baskets themsleves will be donated from a local basket making company I have a contact for. The proceeds from the raffle will go to the Sago Mine Fund to help the families of the mine tragedy.

On a side note, if you are with a FanForce from out of the area and would like to place some promotional items on our table I need them sent to me by April 4th.

3. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    We got mentioned in the Comicon newsletter last night:

Hello Comiconiacs,

It's Sunday morning and I've been working on the Comicon Newspaper and waiting for the Steeler Game and I thought it would be a good time to update you guys on the goings on at the Pittsburgh Comicon Office.

For those of you who have not been checking the website (and why haven't you???!!),

Over the last couple weeks we've added a slew of guests including some superstar comic book guests, such as:

? Marvel Zombies Cover Artist: Arthur Suydam
    ? Comic book artist and co-creator of the New Mutants: Bob McLeod and just added,
    ? Artist and co-creator of Powers and writer of Red Sonja, Mike Oeming just to name a few of the most recent updates.

Also our Star Wars guests for 2006 are starting to shape up, fans of the films can look forward to:

? Young Boba Fett from Attack of the Clones: Daniel Logan
    ? Young Beru Whitesun Lars from Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith: Bonnie Piesse
    and.....
    ? Darth Maul from Phantom Menace (and Toad from the X-Men movie): Ray Park

Also Star Wars fans can look forward to a series of Star Wars related panels hosted by the Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh, including: Collecting Star Wars, Building Your Own Lightsaber, Costuming and more! You can check out their website at www.pittsburghfanforce.com

The Comicon is also happy to present 3 WWE Hall of Famers in 2006:
    Captain Lou Albano Former WWE Heavyweight Champion: The Iron Sheik and Luscious Johnny Valiant

And our Dawn of the Dead fans flying in from all over the world can look forward to first time guest:
    David Crawford (Dr. Foster) to add new insight into the film.

Lastly you all know how important our Charity Auction is to us and there has been some GREAT pieces added to the Auction page. Keep checking it for the piece you want to add to your collection and start saving your pennies now!!!!

That's it for now, I'll update you again once the Comicon Newspaper is in the bag, there is sure to be more exciting news cropping up in the next week or two, including the events schedule, more great guests and much, much more!

Talk to you all again soon, GO STEELERS (I know by the time you get this the game will be over and I'll either be really happy or really depressed, but it can't hurt to spread some good karma.)

Patrick A. Thomas - Marketing Director of the Pittsburgh Comicon

PITTSBURGH COMICON
    APRIL 21,22,23 - 2006
    Monroeville Expomart
    Promoters-Michael & Renee George
    www.pittsburghcomicon.com
    pcomicon@floodcity.net
    814-467-4116
    fax 814-467-4416 (after 4 pm if possible)
    1002 Graham Ave.
    Windber, PA 15963

Visit http://www.pittsburghcomicon.com for more!

4. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Terry, Maybe its just me but I cant seem to find out about ticket info there...... anyone know how much tickets are?
    I finally got a hotel room and Im all set there.
    Would love to have someone who is handy with powerpoint if anyone wants to volunteer for helping with the FF awards presentation :)

Cant wait to see everyone there!!!! :)

PS terry I may have a few items for the charity raffle if u need them..... I'll send u a PM

5. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I'm working on the banquet menu and costs. More info soon to come. I'd like to do some door prizes for the banquet also. I've got some items I can donate, but any help would be hot.

I'll check my work calander and see if I can take a personal day on Friday, to help with the booth on Friday.

6. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    I can't find it on their site either, but I thought it was on the order of $30-ish for a weekend pass when last I went two years ago.

~Doc_Bev

7. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    IF I remember correctly, its $17 a day or $45 for all three days. If you come in costume on Sunday, you get in free.

8. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    The Comicon has redid there website. Check it out.

9. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    Hey Chris, I think I have something that might work for a prize for something (door prize, raffle, etc.) So as not to give it away, as soon as I can get a picture of it, I'll send it to you, but I think that it'll be nice.

As far a volunteering, as soon as I can get work things straightened out, I should be able to better know when I can and can't volunteer. I just got promoted, you see. And, as such, I'm going to be working at a different store now, and that means defferent scheduling hours, requirements, etc. But as soon as I know, I can "sign up", as it were.

10. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Their new website looks good. Now who is this Dark Maul guy they mention?

11. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Zero if you want ot pass that on to me since I am doing th eraffle that would be great.

12. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Arrangements have been made for the menu for the banquet. I'll post all the details on the NE boards. If Fluke will be so kind as to tell all the CRs/fanforces that is where it can be found, that would be hot. Also, did anyone invite the Ohio folks (aren't they in the next region? But they are fun to hang with :) )

13. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I'd be willing to help! that's the weekend before I go back to school, so I may be able to help friday

14. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I will be sending out the invites to other fan forces and the guests this week.

15. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Dan do you want to meetup sometime this week for those letterhead?

16. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    We have a thread already for this, so if you could please post in that one instead of starting a new one - that would be awesome. Although we kinda already invited ourselves since I normally try to get to this con each year. :p
    And, North Ridge (aka Buffalo, NY) has their thread here. I kinda invited them already too. ;)

~Doc_Bev

17. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Heck the sooner the better. I really hope we have a nice turnout for this.

18. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Rox, I'll PM you about the letterhead.

I'll post the fan force invites in the threads already created. I'm sure they all know but I will make it official.

19. Akar

Akar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    Hey for what it's worth, I have something I'd like to donate for the raffle/door prize thingy. I've got a black fake-leather jacket with flames up the sleaves - but on the back, I've hand painted an animated Clone Wars Collage with Anakin in the center. I'll get picks over the weekend and show. If you're interested that is.

20. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    Greencat I am sure I have stuff for doorprizes. I will talk to you about them tonight.

AS far as setting up friday I will be there thursday so I can help on friday with set up if you need help. Just let me know :)

21. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I was thinking that it might be fun to have an informal get together on Friday night for folks that have come in early. Nothing too complex, maybe just telling everyone to meet someplace around 7:30 PM or so for drinks and snacks. With those planning on coming saying so at least a few days in advance, so I could warn . . . I mean, tell, the place we choose.

How does that sound?

There are a couple of places that are near the Radisson but a bit off the main drag that I'm going to check out. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be hot.

22. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    Im always up for hanging out... ;) sounds like fun to me :)

23. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    We'd be up for that!
    There was a real nice diner/restaurant that we ate at last time we were there. I don't recall it's name, but I know that it was right on Mall Blvd (or whatever that main road is called) and for some reason I want to say it was mostly silver on the outide and looked like an old fashioned soda shop. They had awesome shakes!

It would hold a large-ish party, but we would probably be split up over a few tables if the group was really large (15+).

~Doc_Bev

24. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    anyone up for some texas holdem thursday eve after dinner? [face_devil]

25. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    There is a charity tournement the Con is holding. i am going to enter that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.