main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Pittsburgh Regatta

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by TRADMIC, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    We should just come up with a way to make 10 cheap jedi costumes.

2. killdeer19

killdeer19 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2006
    well, I guess this means I need to start thinking of designs... any suggestions? and what exactly are the rules for this? are we allowed to use any materials? fill me in...

3. SuperChill

SuperChill Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 8, 2005
    Go to page one of this thread. Tradmic posted a link.

4. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    BTW, if it isn't truly seaworthy, count me out because I don't swim.

5. killdeer19

Apr 24, 2006
    hm... the 10 member team all have to be on the boat? is that correct? if not, I've got a great death star design to use...

6. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I'm hoping the plan is that we don't sink, since I have no desire to go into the nasty river water. And Bonnie, we will all be wearing life jackets, so it will be all good.

7. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    I believe 10 members do have to be on board. I'll re-read the rules. Looking at some Regatta pics, it looks that way. Why won't the death star design hold 10 people? Can the design be extended to appear to have fighter ships after it, as I wanted to do? Even towing some fighter-style rafts wouldn't be bad as long as people in rafts rowed to keep up and didn't hold the main ship back by being pulled along...

8. SuperChill

Dec 8, 2005
    The first step in this whole process is we need to have a place to build it. I don't think my place can accomidate. Any volunteers?

9. killdeer19

Apr 24, 2006
    good point... you guys find a place to build it... AND 10 members... LOL

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I asked my dad if we could use the second half of his garage but he shot me down.

11. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I sent an email to the Regatta people asking if we needed ten people on the floatie thing. Their rep said no, but also noted that having ten people made paddling fast easier.

Hi!
    You may or may not have 10 people on your boat. I have seen many teams
    compete successfully with 7 or 8 members. Often times, the teams need
    the strength of 10+ people to paddle the boat. But, this is certainly
    up to you.

Thanks!

Molly Klaich
    U.S. Events & Marketing, Inc.

12. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    It would be so much easier if we could use the Force.

13. SuperChill

Dec 8, 2005
    Nice attempt Rox. Anyone else? [face_worried]

14. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, we could use our deck. At first we thought we were going to fix it up this summer, but I'd rather go to C4....then if we have money left, we'll fix the deck. You know...priorities

:D

15. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh noes! double post! [face_dancing]

Some info from an email I sent to the Regatta people; here are their answers to my questions:

The team must have a minimum of 10 participants. Typically, most teams have 8-10 people on their vessel when it is in the river; however, you may have more or less if you wish. As you can imagine, each team member can get pretty tired during the race. The more ?rowers? or ?paddlers? you have could determine whether or not you have the strength to paddle to the finish line. But, some teams choose to limit the number of people on their boat to minimize the weight of the boat.

Currently, our route begins from a ramp near the Ft. Duquesne Bridge (Point State Park side) to a ramp located a short distance from the ?Point? of the park (on the Monongahela River Side). They gave me a nice little map, I'll print it and bring it to the next get together.

I have three sponsors lined up. They give you a printout with sponsor sign up and donation amount, and they will mention all sponsors at the race. It's almost set up like when you do a race. Every buck counts. I'm even making my coworkers pitch in. :D

16. TRADMIC

Jul 24, 2005
    Triple post!

*roundhouse kicks to the face for everyone*

I almost signed in as a sock to update this [face_plain]

Anyway, I'm sure you are all very excited to hear all about this at the OT party...but I thought I'd grant you some spoilers...

3 sponsors = almost $300, plus BK, Ross Twp., and [will remain nameless until sure] Beer Distributor pending. Have other ideas for sponsors as well.

The beer distributor will donate as many barrels (full kegs) as we need. These are better than plastic or metal regular barrels; very buoyant. The only catch is that they are full, so we'll have to somehow empty them by July. o_O Just kidding, they'll be empty kegs.

:D

17. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Sweet. This really seems to be coming along nicely. Getting $300 worth of sponsorship contributions if about $299 more than I would be able to get! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.