Pittsburgh, PA Pittsburgh Regatta

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by TRADMIC, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    We should just come up with a way to make 10 cheap jedi costumes.
  2. killdeer19 Jedi Knight

star 1
    well, I guess this means I need to start thinking of designs... any suggestions? and what exactly are the rules for this? are we allowed to use any materials? fill me in...
  3. SuperChill Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Go to page one of this thread. Tradmic posted a link.
  4. BonMothma Jedi Master

star 4
    BTW, if it isn't truly seaworthy, count me out because I don't swim.
  5. killdeer19 Jedi Knight

star 1
    hm... the 10 member team all have to be on the boat? is that correct? if not, I've got a great death star design to use...
  6. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm hoping the plan is that we don't sink, since I have no desire to go into the nasty river water. And Bonnie, we will all be wearing life jackets, so it will be all good.
  7. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I believe 10 members do have to be on board. I'll re-read the rules. Looking at some Regatta pics, it looks that way. Why won't the death star design hold 10 people? Can the design be extended to appear to have fighter ships after it, as I wanted to do? Even towing some fighter-style rafts wouldn't be bad as long as people in rafts rowed to keep up and didn't hold the main ship back by being pulled along...
  8. SuperChill Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    The first step in this whole process is we need to have a place to build it. I don't think my place can accomidate. Any volunteers?
  9. killdeer19 Jedi Knight

star 1
    good point... you guys find a place to build it... AND 10 members... LOL
  10. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I asked my dad if we could use the second half of his garage but he shot me down.
  11. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I sent an email to the Regatta people asking if we needed ten people on the floatie thing. Their rep said no, but also noted that having ten people made paddling fast easier.

Hi!
    You may or may not have 10 people on your boat. I have seen many teams
    compete successfully with 7 or 8 members. Often times, the teams need
    the strength of 10+ people to paddle the boat. But, this is certainly
    up to you.

Thanks!

Molly Klaich
    U.S. Events & Marketing, Inc.
  12. BonMothma Jedi Master

star 4
    It would be so much easier if we could use the Force.
  13. SuperChill Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Nice attempt Rox. Anyone else? [face_worried]
  14. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Well, we could use our deck. At first we thought we were going to fix it up this summer, but I'd rather go to C4....then if we have money left, we'll fix the deck. You know...priorities

:D

15. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Oh noes! double post! [face_dancing]

Some info from an email I sent to the Regatta people; here are their answers to my questions:

The team must have a minimum of 10 participants. Typically, most teams have 8-10 people on their vessel when it is in the river; however, you may have more or less if you wish. As you can imagine, each team member can get pretty tired during the race. The more ?rowers? or ?paddlers? you have could determine whether or not you have the strength to paddle to the finish line. But, some teams choose to limit the number of people on their boat to minimize the weight of the boat.

Currently, our route begins from a ramp near the Ft. Duquesne Bridge (Point State Park side) to a ramp located a short distance from the ?Point? of the park (on the Monongahela River Side). They gave me a nice little map, I'll print it and bring it to the next get together.

I have three sponsors lined up. They give you a printout with sponsor sign up and donation amount, and they will mention all sponsors at the race. It's almost set up like when you do a race. Every buck counts. I'm even making my coworkers pitch in. :D
  16. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Triple post!

*roundhouse kicks to the face for everyone*

I almost signed in as a sock to update this [face_plain]

Anyway, I'm sure you are all very excited to hear all about this at the OT party...but I thought I'd grant you some spoilers...

3 sponsors = almost $300, plus BK, Ross Twp., and [will remain nameless until sure] Beer Distributor pending. Have other ideas for sponsors as well.

The beer distributor will donate as many barrels (full kegs) as we need. These are better than plastic or metal regular barrels; very buoyant. The only catch is that they are full, so we'll have to somehow empty them by July. o_O Just kidding, they'll be empty kegs.

:D

17. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    Sweet. This really seems to be coming along nicely. Getting $300 worth of sponsorship contributions if about $299 more than I would be able to get! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.