main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Pity the fool... The woes of only making $350,000 a year

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Wall Street Journal

Whenever I think we've hit the limit on these stories, another person steps up to complain about their struggles. Don't worry buddy, Mitt is on the way.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Living in NYC is very expensive. Shocking!

3. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    yeah, you can get yourself in pretty deep with that kind of money.

4. Balrog_Paradox

Balrog_Paradox Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2003
    Explain, sir, how I live in the same city as you, on $20,000 a year, and get by with all the same amenities? (less the cars and the kids of course, what do you need two cars for in NYC anyway?

Doing the dishes by hand?! Life is so hard!

5. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Not so much that. I can understand the Brooklyn duplex being expensive....just about everywhere in the northeast costs an arm and a leg.

But when you get to the
    part, I have a bit less sympathy towards his "struggle".

$32k a year for a private school...hell even Boston University isn't that expensive.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He says he struggles to pay rent for their duplex in Brooklyn, as well as the summer rental in Connecticut and the $32,000 a year tuition for his daughter?s private school.

WHAAAAA!!!! :_|

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here's a thought, Sherlock: cheaper private school and no "summer rental" in Connecticut. I'll give him private school because it's NYC but seriously? A summer rental is a necessity that he needs to "struggle" for?

And if he "feels stuck," maybe he could, um, I don't know, move out of Brooklyn into a less expensive suburb? I've never lived in NYC but I do understand that it's really pricey to live right in town.

Reminds me of this article from a few years ago, when a few whiny brats complained that Obama was impoverishing them by limiting their salary to $500K a year when they were running a company that was receiving government bailout money.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    There's plenty of stuff to criticize here, but let's try and be fair to the guy. Children are a huge expenditure. You can't just hand wave that away to make your comparison.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I must also suggest THIS
    [image=http://images.betterworldbooks.com/159/The-Total-Money-Makeover-9781595550781.jpg]
    It's a good book. All the financial advice your grandmother would give you...but Dave Ramsey keeps his teeth in.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have children, and if they were to cost $330K a year (the author's $350K minus the PP's $20K), mine would be *OL.

Still no sympathy.

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    If he's that close to broke, what's he doing making inappropriate choices like having kids?

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I could spend $250,000 of that salary for Lakers courtside season tickets each year, and still have $100,000 to live on. Damn.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No you couldn't, because you lose a fair amount to tax. Or a tax attorney.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Then I would spend the money on season tickets 1-4 rows behind the "Nicholson seats". Those are just as good, anyway.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

15. Balrog_Paradox

Balrog_Paradox Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2003
    Valid point. However, there are still plenty of people here with kids who get by just fine on $20-$30k (albeit not living in Park Slope, which is where I'm going to assume this guy is). I do want to make it clear that I am actually grateful to have a $14/hr job in this craphole city. I realize how much worse it could be.

16. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    This guy makes seven times what the typical U.S. family makes so unless his kids eat a bowl of diamonds every morning before school, I don't think having children explains his problems away.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  18. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Yay!

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    This. Even if you take taxes, the rent/bills, car payments and groceries into account, he still has at least $25,000 a month to live on. I think you can live rather nicely on an income of 25K a month.

20. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    1%ers whining about 0.1%ers

21. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    [image=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-as_Snv4PnCE/TZyYlrzq_vI/AAAAAAAAC1s/YDAYs6hooWo/s1600/Mr_Burns_evil.gif]

Dammit! I wanted to buy that ivory backscratcher!

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, I'm sure you're happy you made this thread now, Kiki.

So taxes, rent, car payments, and groceries only amount to 18k a year? 350k - 25k X 12 - 32k = 18k. You do realize that 25k a month amounts to 300k a year? Also pretty sure that his kid's tuition is not twice as much as his tax burden plus rent, car payments for two cars, and living expenses.

23. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Depends what kind of cars they are. If he's got two Veyrons the payments have gotta be pretty stiff.

24. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Can someone tell me how this moron can't afford a dishwasher?

A financial exec who makes $350k/year has to wash his dishes by hand? And we wonder how the banking crisis happened...

25. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Sadly, yes it is.

edit: I know its not that important, I was just struck that you chose BU for your example so I commented.