main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Pivoting Back To Luke and the Revitalization of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JaimePrater, Jan 27, 2013.

1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I cannot deal with this anymore. I tired of people demanding that Episode VII recapture the style or characters of the OT. And I'm sick and tired of people claiming that the PT had nearly ruined the franchise. I'm tired of fans living in the past and demanding that the movies be exactly or similar to the OT. I realize that people have difficulty in dealing with changes or a complex and morally ambiguous story with this kind of setting or background, but this is getting ridiculous.

I don't need the new trilogy to recapture the "magic" of the OT. Yes, the OT has its own magic. But I also believe that the PT also had its own kind of magic. I only hope that the next three movies will have a story with its own kind of style. I really hope this will happen. But hearing that the stories of Luke, Leia and Han will continue in the new trilogy, I fear that Kennedy, Abrams and Disney will try to "recapture" the style of the 1977-83 movies. In other words, they'll try to recapture the past. And honestly? This is a BIG mistake.

So . . . what? I don't care what MOST people thought about the PT. I know how I feel about it. But I still believe that an attempt to recapture the style of the OT or the PT is a big mistake. And it lacks originality. But let's face it. For the past three or four years, the movie industry and movie goers on both sides of the Atlantic have seemed willing to embrace the familiar and conventional lately, and reject something that is entirely new . . . with the exception of a few movies.

Chels likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What matters is what you personally thought and no one else

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I agree with you. I was lucky enough to see the originals in the theater, and they were indeed "magical". However in 1999, when I was 23, I felt a new type of magic with the PT. The world was a different place in 1999 then it was in 1977, so the worlds take on the PT was different. Just like 2015 will be different then 1999. Even my life has changed: I'm different now then I was when 4 years old and when I was 23. Not to make this another PT hater debate, but I think that is another reason for the hate, people are trying to recapture that feeling of when they were a child or teen in the 70s and 80s. Personally you are in a different place in life, the magic will never be the same.

IMO, I think they (Abrams, Arndt, etc) should try and capture both the OT and the PT and almost try to blend them together. With that mix they will come up with something new, but yet familiar, for BOTH fans: OT and PT. Neither the OT and PT are going away (as much as some people want them to), so they should try and embrace both.

I wouldn't put a lot of energy in the "most" comment. The PT jump started (or at least gave a boost to SW). More books, games, and even a TV series has been spun off from the PT. There was billions of dollars of merchandising sold during the PT era (1999-2005). As far as books and games go, a majority of them took place outside the OT (before and after). So to say "most" people hat the PT seems to be opposite of what society is showing in "sales". If most people "hate" them so much, why are they buying so much of it?

4. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    If Abrams decides to rehash the old iconography instead of making new iiconography then what is even the point of a new movie?

If Episode 7 turns out to be one of those fanservicy movies that are all about how other 30 year old movies are awesome that would probably be the worst thing that can happen to the ST.

Chels and Count Yubnub like this.
  5. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    So . . . what? I don't care what MOST people thought about the PT. I know how I feel about it. But I still believe that an attempt to recapture the style of the OT or the PT is a big mistake. And it lacks originality. But let's face it. For the past three or four years, the movie industry and movie goers on both sides of the Atlantic have seemed willing to embrace the familiar and conventional lately, and reject something that is entirely new . . . with the exception of a few movies.

Disney will care what most people think. If it is seen as much as a downer as the PT, people will stop paying to see the franchise. That won't happen though, fortunately JJ knows how to keep an audience interested. I suspect you would like it to be down to people not excepting change, rather than feeling the PT may in fact just be an inferior product in certain ways.

6. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    He wont, however he will take note of what worked and what did not. In that regards that's why Miss Kennedy has hired a writer from the OT (Lawrence Kasdan)

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    What are you trying to say?:confused:

Exactly what are you saying here? By choosing Kasdan as the writer, the OT worked and the PT didn't? Do you honestly believe this is a fact? Does Kennedy and Disney honestly believe this is fact?

And if this is not what you were trying to say, what exactly did you mean?

8. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I posted this in the thread about the postponement of the 3D releases, but given the tenor of the conversation here it probably bears repeating:

I'm sure Disney is just wringing their hands with all sorts of angst over the shadow of the Prequels... the same Prequels which introduced a whole new generation of kids to Star Wars. A whole new generation of kids who watch Clone Wars, buy toys and dress up in cute little Ahsoka Tano, Padme and Anakin costumes at Star Wars Weekends at Disneyworld.

Some of us older fans really need to take the blinders off or the OT rose tinted glasses and realize their is a legion of Star Wars fans ready to descend on theaters BECAUSE of the Prequels... a legion of fans in the late teen/twenty something demographic that's ready to spend money on Star Wars merchandise.

Yancy

Chels, Big Bad Yoda Daddy and LawJedi like this.
  9. Vale Man

Jan 24, 2013
    Weeeelll how many PT writers or producers are on board, for the ST?

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Good thread, and brings up a lot of great points.

First of all, though I'm a child of the OOT, I am still a huge prequel fan, especially TPM. All throughout the mid-late '80's & all of the '90's, I anticipated the prequels & discussed theories with friends as to what they would involve. I remember first discovering the Inernet in 1995, and one of the first websites I went to was Star Wars related; it was nice to see all of the speculation/anticipation for Episode 1. When the PT films finally came out, it was nice to see the beginnings of DV, the Empire, etc. And, in the PT, there was a definite connection to the OT re: the characters of Anakin, Palpatine, Obi-wan, the Clone Troopers (who were the pre-cursors to Stormtroopers), etc. Now, when watching all 6 films, the Saga definitely feels like one long story.

However, re: the forthcoming ST, I just don't have as much interest in seeing this. A lot of this is because I really think the Saga (at least as far as the films are concerned) had a great ending in ROTJ. The final scenes with Luke saying goodbye to his Father, going to the Ewok celebration, greeting his friends, & finally seeing the Force ghosts looking on proudly was a perfect end to the Saga. And, for the record, I do like the added celebration sequences & new music that was seen in the 1997 SE's, since it gives the ending a much more "epic" feel (but, I very much dislike the young Anakin force ghost first seen in the the 2004 DVD's - however, that's another thread).

Additionally, though I'm a big EU fan and like a lot of the post-ROTJ novels & comics (The HTTE Trilogy, the post-ROTJ Marvel comics from the '80's, Dark Empire from DH, etc.), I don't have a lot of interest in seeing films taking place after ROTJ. I'm guessing they will feature the descendents of Han/Leia & maybe Luke - mildly interesting, I guess, but it's just not something I have a lot of anticipation for.

Also, some of this is probably because I'm older & have more responsiblities, etc., and a new SW film just doesn't have as much meaning to me anymore. Sure, I'll see the ST films in the theatre & maybe even buy some of the merchandise, etc., but it just won't be the same because I'm not the same.

So, those who want the ST to re-kindle the feelings you had when watching the OOT will almost certainly be dissapointed. IMHO, the ST is primarily being made for a new generation of kids, and not so much for those of us who grew up with the OOT. Just my .02...

Side-note: IMHO it's a mistake to have Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, etc. in the ST, even as cameos. Seeing all of these characters so much older will just accentuate that so much time has passed since the OT was released, and IMHO may even be somewhat depressing for some older fans...

Gallandro likes this.
  11. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Was it depressing to see Harrison Ford in Indy 4? I mean maybe the plot but none of that was Ford's fault.
    If we get a GREAT plot, a call back to the elder stars so long as they don't look like death warmed over.

12. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    No, it wasn't - and, actually, I'm probably one of the few IJ fans who liked KOTCS (Indy 4).

However, that film came out in 2008 - and, if the first film in the ST comes out in 2015/2016, that will be 7-8 years later.

I guess I just don't see a need to have the original OT cast in the ST, since I think these films should be focused on a new generation of Jedi. My preference would be for the ST to take place a hundred (or more) years after ROTJ. That being said, I guess it may be interesting to see Luke as a force ghost, etc.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly I want Luke to be ObiWan's age. He is the only one NEEDED, the rest would be fan service. Luke could play head of the order and it would be amazing.

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't know about depressing, but if I hear fanboy chortles of glee after a 70 year old Han brags about shooting first I just might hop over into the next theater and catch the rest of Desert Kickboxer 3 instead.

15. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Again, I believe people are being to literal. I don't want a rehash of anything. I'm excited about pivoting back to what made Star Wars, well, STAR WARS. It's about character. There were a couple of moments here and there in the PT that were great, but generally, for me, I can't stand to watch them. Unfortunately, none of those moments were character moments.

When I think about the OT, all I think about is character. I was also 23 in 99 when the PT released, I was as excited as anyone else. When I went to the theater, it was with all of my friends who had seen the OT, or episodes of it when they released. We left the theater stunned and devastated with what we saw.

What I'm ultimately talking about is having a good story, relatable, realistic characters, and yet, maintain its own style and grace. I don't give a ***** about effects because they are secondary to story and character. Effects we know Hollywood can do.

16. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I'm just not sure where you go with those characters. Han specifically. Luke's possible role is one I can easily imagine. I'm not opposed to Ford being in the film but I don't want to see a domestic Han Solo. Maybe he broke it off with Leia and runs a bar. That sounds more like Han. Or invests in the podracers or something. Either way I just don't see a happily married 70 year old Han.

17. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Anthony Daniels now plays him camper than ever, almost a parody of the Threepio we see in the OT