main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PixelMagic's NASA Animation....

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by borjis fett, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999
  2. Gardulo

Gardulo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Holy Gwackamoly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Man That is Amazing the detail and all
    the fire
    the textures
    the flubaghazaaaaaa
    ***drools too much to talk right***
    no no just kidding

3. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Ha ha, I knew the fire would be the first question. I really can't take credit for that because I just modified the blow torch tutorial from DVGarage. I didn't use the surface toolkit image though, I made that fire texture with Boris Fire for After Effects. Then I applied those texture maps to 3D cylinders in Max So, that fire is actually two cylinders with fire texture maps applyed to them. And then a displacement map to give them a fire shape. Renders MUCH faster that particles. Looks better too.

4. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    NIFTY!

But by that height, the white boosters would have dropped and the red tank would be soon to follow

5. dark42

dark42 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Wow. *That* is really, really, cool.

6. Gardulo

Apr 21, 2002
    What kind Of Blurs do you have in there
    On the stars and on the vessels and fire???

7. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    WEll, the planet, the stars, and the shuttle are all motion blurred. The fire is not however. I originally render it with motion blur, but it came out looking FUNKY. So I turned motion blur off on the fire.

8. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    awesome job Pixel! love that camera movement!

9. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    BAH! I keep looking at that animation over and over and couldn't figure out what looked wrong. Now I see that the planet's atmosphereic glow is WAAAAY too thick and opaque. Dang it!

10. Gardulo

Apr 21, 2002
    How do you put motion blur on object other that supersprays I wonder

11. Chevalier-mal-Fet

Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    VERY nice job, Pix... just a few nits to pick, sorry. I have absolutely no problem with your graphics, because as always, they're superb. The camera movement is great, the colours are vivid, and the lighting is perfect.

Like someone else mentioned above me, by this time the shuttle will have dropped its boosters, and probably the external fuel tank. I missed it the first time, but after watching it a few more, I noticed that the shuttle isn't one that NASA's currently running, but looks like one of the new prototype 'space planes', which is fine, but is it something you want to do for a demo reel? Also, it seems like yoooou have a fiery glow coming out of the back of the external fuel tank; it shouldn't really have anything on the end, just a plain rounded surface.

I love the video as it is, though, just trying to help make it a bit more authentic, I guess. Hopefully we'll see you do a bit more with this, because it looks absolutely spectacular.

As a side note, I want to see The Softdrink Menace even more than ever now. :p

12. borjis fett

Sep 25, 1999

PixelMagic, if you ever feel the need (hint hint) to make a tutorial on Rocket Engine trails, I'll be the first one lined up to try it :)

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Bleh. Save your movies in .mpg or .mov.

14. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
  15. KC0GRN

KC0GRN Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2001
    Okay, I haveta admit, pixelmagic does nice work on 3D rendering. Ahh if only I had more time, money, and so on and so forth.

But I don't, oh well.

BTW, anyone else notice the shuttle doesn't have an engine at all? what's the point of a main external fuel tank and two SRBs if the shuttle doesn't have an engine :) okay nitpickin done.

16. Mugwump

Mugwump Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2001
    jeeze... you're making the rest of us look bad!! lol
    The irony, is that I've spent about 3-4 months perfected a partical spray/fire sequence involving the milfal re-entering for FOTJ. It's taken forever to render, and doesn't look half as decent as this does!

Way to go!
    I'm noticing that the best part about the fire, is that the boris plug you used emulates combustion sputter very nicely, so it looks like somthing is actualy burning, as opposed to just 'spewing flame'

nicely done. I want to see more of your work.

-mugwump

17. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Two thumbs up.

18. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    well he is making some of us look bad, everyone except for the Electric Image users... ;) J/k

19. borjis fett

Sep 25, 1999

It literally IS "PixelMagic" :D

I saw that tutorial a few minutes ago at dvgarage.com it looks so simple....a child could do it....a child...er uh....move along move along.. :)

20. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Are you trying to down play my abilities foo? ha ha. Just kiddin. Yeah, it's pretty simple.

21. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Cooool.

I think you're right about the atmosphere.

The other thing I thought might be improved is I think the fire looks very good, but drops off a bit abruptly.

22. Chevalier-mal-Fet

Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 2002
    Bumping because I'm curious as to whether or not Pixel has done anything more to the movie...

23. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Actually, I will begin rendering the SRB seperation in a few minutes. I've been working on the animation for the last couple of hours. All these particle systems are a pain though. If anyone would like I to host it, I will be glad to show part to. Complete with SOUND EFFECTS.

24. Gardulo

Apr 21, 2002
    Ill host it for you but its a limited time offer
    maybe a week or something

25. dark42

dark42 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    I can host as long as it's less than 8 megs. And I can keep it for quite some time, if you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.