Det, MI Places to meet in the tri-county area . . .

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by TheHuntressDiana, Apr 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan

star 4
    SparklerV brought up (in another thread) that we've held the meetings in locations that are too remote for her to attend. So, I'm creating this thread, to give ideas on other potential places to hold meetings for the immediate future*.

I highlighted the cities/areas where some of our current members are from. So, if you don't see anything near you highlighted, it's because I don't know where 'bouts you live (hint, hint) or I haven't updated my map.

So, take a gander at the map and let the ideas fly.

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/751343de/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/SouthEast+Lower+Michigan.jpg?bc1iHE9AC1klDg9v]

*Another thing that's been going through my mind is this:

For now, we're still under twenty people, and I think that's still small enough to have rotating meeting places.

However, as we grow larger, I think a rotating meeting place (for general meetings anyway) will become too difficult. So I think we should (eventually) pick an area and stick to that for "general meetings".

And as we grow, and have more people interested in certain areas (collecting, costuming, etc.) we can hold those gatherings elsewhere as are convenient for those who are interested.

Sound like something that might be feasible? Thoughts? Opinions?
  2. Midnightguard Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm in Belleville, just off of I-94 and half mile from I-275. As long as it's within an hour drive for me, anyplace is fine.

Seeing how the map looks so far... Novi may be a good central location from what I can tell (it kind of puts it sort of in the center... sort of)
  3. DoubleAgent Jedi Youngling

star 1
    If you take M-15 (which runs right through the 'r' in Burton) up to where the image ends...that's about where I am. :D
  4. Jaina11 Jedi Youngling

I know Novi would be perfect for me.

5. Idgie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Novi is good for me as well.
  6. huttese1138 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I could actually care less where it is, but I do think we all agree that a cafe or bookstore is the best place to meet.
  7. Jayna Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well, I do know that there is a Borders bookstore in Novi by the Twelve Oaks Mall. Would something like that work?
  8. Power-of_the-Force Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The Borders in Novi does have a Cafe' and it would work perfect for me. That's the Borders I work at so, I could get everyone a free coffee or tea. :D

-Kris
  9. Jayna Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hey that's cool! I actually thought about working there over the summer.
  10. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It appears to me, also, that the borders in Novi is more centrally located. It matters little to me where the meetings take place, and rotating them around to make them conveniant to others remains a good idea.
  11. Idgie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Free coffee's good too!:)
  12. StealthTrooperSTC019 Jedi Youngling

Looking at the map the "24" for M-24 is right where Great Lakes is at. That SEEMS pretty central located, but Novi is only 40 min from Fenton and Flint by the way of US-23 to I-96, and much easier for "everybody". I "vote" for Borders in Novi (although I will deny free coffee persuaded me in any way :) )
  13. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well, I updated the map and highlighted Novi in green. Are there any other thoughts and input?

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/751343de/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/SEMichigan+-+updated+22APR.jpg?bck3JF9A_u._cYF_]

For those of you who are fairly new, we usually hold our monthly meeting on the 2nd Saturday of the month...around 7pm.

Does any one know if the Borders in Novi has music on Saturday evenings? The next meeting would fall on the 11th of May...if that helps you any. :)

And if anyone knows of a better way, other than local roads, to get to Novi from Clarkston, I'm all ears. ;)
  14. Power-of_the-Force Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hello all,

I'm not sure if Borders will have music on the 11th or not but, I can find out since I work there. I'll be going to Borders later today (before I go to Toys R Us for the midnight madness) so I'll find out ant post it when I get back home.

-Kris
  15. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Thanks. :)

Some of us found out that Fridays at the Borders cafe in Auburn Hills isn't good for meeting & talking after 7:30pm or so. The music is way too loud for any kind of conversation.
  16. MiraxTHorn Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi All,

Novi works great fro me. as far as how to get there from Clarkston, there is no really quick route. Telegraph to 696 to 96 to Novi Road would probably be the same in terms of time as any other way you'd go. The only other choice would be to wind your way through Waterford and Union Lake to M-5 which is a divided boulevard. Once you get on M-5 it's very quick, but getting to it wouldn't be. Hope that helps.

Regards,
    M.
  17. MiraxTHorn Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi All,

Novi works great for me. As far as how to get there from Clarkston, there is no really quick route. Telegraph to 696 to 96 to Novi Road would probably be the same in terms of time as any other way you'd go. The only other choice would be to wind your way through Waterford and Union Lake to M-5 which is a divided boulevard. Once you get on M-5 it's very quick, but getting to it wouldn't be. Hope that helps.

Regards,
    M.
  18. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I usually cut through Waterford & West Bloomfield to get out that way (no freeways). Takes me 'bout 30-45 minutes depending on traffic.

Roughly it's:

M-59 to Williams Lk. Rd.

Williams Lk. Rd. to Richardson Rd.

Richardson to Commerce Rd.

Commerce to 12 Mile

12 Mile to Novi Rd.

I may have forgotten a turn or two, but that's roughly the route I take.
  19. SwordChick Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I think Novi works for me too. But I'll go where ever as long as there's Star Wars!
  20. SparklerV Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Novi would work out great for me. :) I'm out that way all the time.

--Catherine
  21. Idgie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Could someone give me directions to Border's coming in from I-96?

I'd appreciate it.:)
  22. Midnightguard Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I just noticed that you highlighted the area I'm living at... not to nit-pick but it's Belleville, not Belleview (which sort of sounds like the name of a mental hospital or something...)

Just thought I'd give a little clarification :)
  23. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sorry 'bout that. That particular map didn't have all the cities listed (it's hard to find a nice map that isn't too distorted with junk) so I had to type it in myself.

Sorry 'bout the typo. I'll fix it and repost it. :)

[image=http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/751343de/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/SE+Michigan.jpg?bcoDxF9AWKGABVbj]
  24. SparklerV Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Idgie,

Which way on I-96?! LOL Little details matter in this case. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.