main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Placing copy guard on your DVDs

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WormieSaber, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    First, I know what everyone is going to say, that usually it's the other way around. You want to know how to get around copy guard. But I've been reading a lot about this and wondering if it were possible to place copy guard on my own DVD projects via my home computer. So far I've read there are several ways to do this; like Vegas Video's DVD Architect program (which I don't have) and it supposedly has the appropriate output settings to make it possible. And I know there are ways around copy guard, so to most people, putting copy guard on a DVD is pointless. But it is just a means of stopping those few; and because my clients are starting to ask about it for their own protection. If there is anyone here who has any good ideas, it would be great to get some more info on it. There is another program that is much cheaper than the Vegas Video bundle, like $100, but I hate to waste the money if it really doesn't work. And I tried to download a free program called Copy Protect and it clearly doesn't work. Just wondering, thanks. :)

2. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    I don't have any personal experience with it, but studios tack a lot of 0s on the end of dollar amounts to get good copy guarding on their discs, and people work around those in a heartbeat anyways. I don't think you're going to get anything good with home software without paying out the rear.

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I agree with Darth on this issue.

Look, put whatever protection your DVD-burning software allows, check the little box, so you can tell your client you did so ? but that's as good as you're gonna get.

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    ...How the heck did I log in as DA? That's what I get for accidentally wiping my browser's memory and then logging back in half-asleep.

5. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah I'm thinking to just do whatever I can with the software, then leave it at that. The more I read the more I've discovered that apparently the specific tracks on the DVDs where you place the copy guard information on (what the Studios do) are not actually readable by basic, consumer computer recordable DVD players. So our players don't read those tracks at all. Geez, they got a great business going on.

6. madhorizons

madhorizons Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2006
    I'm thinking that Encore has protection built in...but still comes back to the $$$.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.