main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Plagueis or Sidious - who is Anakin's dad?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 10, 2015.

?

Who is Anakin's daddy?

1. Darth Plagueis

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. Darth Sidious

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Palps said "infortunaly, Plagueis told everything he knew to his apprentice."

He told you how to create life too?

I think Palpatine did it. Because Plagueis only knew how to create life, but did not use it. Sidious create Anakin and he became his apprentice, which is everything Sidous wanted since the beginning. Also, Palps is human.

What do yu think? (sorry for my english)

mihaitzateo and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    the force...

however much I don't like it personally.

3. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    why not?

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If it's either Plagueis or Sidious, I say Plagueis. I have an extremely hard time beileving that Sheev is Luke's grandpa. Nonetheless, I do think that Sheev was aware of Anakin's existence before TPM.

5. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    because I like my Fantasy to have heroes who are heroic on their own merit...and not because of any prophecy

*shudders as he thinks of Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland*

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    That's the point. Sheev IS Luke's grandfather.

ROTJ last scene is exactly that. A son, a father and a grandfather.

7. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    you both do know that the Sith aren't exactly renowned for telling the truth right? :p

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think they're both his father.

So when we get to ROTJ, it's really just a family feud between the Son and Grandpa Sheev.

9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    One of the most fascinating unanswered questions of SW. Could be Plagueis, could be Sidious, could be none of them... After all, maybe all that was Palpatine lying to Anakin after all.

10. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    neither. the force created anakin.

sidious even says in episode 3 that "the ability to cheat death is a power only one has achieved (plagueis) but together i know we can discover the secret." sidious lied to anakin that he could save people. he doesn't know how to do it. that's why he wants the chose one, so he can figure it out for himself using anakin's power. he couldn't save people from dying so he definitely couldn't create life. so sidious is out.

plagueis could cheat death by stopping his own aging but he couldn't create life. he tried experimenting with midichlorians but never had any success. when anakin came along he and sidious wondered if the experiment had worked but plagueis was scared.

in "tarkin" which is the first new canon book, sidious talked about this.

"Darth Plagueis had once remarked that 'the Force can strike back.'"―Palpatine, musing on an utterance made by Plagueis.

plagueis believed that the force created anakin in retaliation because he was manipulating it.

the last piece of the puzzle is the prophecy. the prophecy says that the chosen one is created "from the force itself".

Chosen One - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

a huge part of the jedi and sith belief systems were revealed in the yoda arc of tcw. it's a must watch. what it reveals about both the jedi and sith is that they believe death is the end. they believe that once you die you lose your identity and become apart of the cosmic force.

the jedi believe that you accept death as a part of life. qui-gon communicates with yoda and tells him that their is life after death in the form of "becoming one with the force". if you figure out how, you die but your identity lives on in the living force.

the sith believe that death is the end and they don't accept it. this is why plagueis and sidious try to manipulate the force. they do not accept death. they want to be immortal. this is the another huge reason palps wants anakin. he wants to use the chosen one's power to learn how to live forever.

this is the final nail in the coffin of the "anakin has a father" theory. the entire reason the sith are experimenting with the force is not because they want to create life but because they want to cheat death.

12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Plagueis or Sidious - who is Anakin's dad?
    This sounds like a job for Maury Povich.

Seriously though, neither of them. The force is Anakin's "father" as it was the will of the force and the prophecy which impregnated Shmi. If not, well, she's got some explaining to do.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Neither.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    I think it was the Force, but brought about by Plagueis' manipulations.

SegNerd, Jo Lucas and thejeditraitor like this.
  16. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    The force, yes.. It was manipulated by Sidious/Plagueis.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't, given that in TPM he doesn't seem to be concerned that Maul's activity could put Anakin in danger.

A Sith may be interested in more than one thing. Specifically, in the process of attempting to ultimately "cheat death", a Sith could end up learning how to influence midichlorians along the way, and this would permit the creation of life.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Should have been the guy in the hovel down the street from Shmi, but it was the Force.

19. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    Of course, the only thing we can say for sure is that Anakin had an unprecedented midiclorian count and Shmi was either unable or unwilling to explain how she came to be pregnant. Everything else is conjecture. Even Qui-Gon only said that "It's possible that he was conceived by the midiclorians."

However, I think that Plagueis was Anakin's creator, for a couple of reasons.

1. Just because there's a prophecy doesn't mean that it's the Will of the Force. I think people come at this from a monotheistic framework, where prophecies come from an omniscient, omnipotent god, and therefore must be absolutely true and represent inescapable destiny. Prophecy in SW is not that. A prophecy in SW just means that a Force user had a vision of the future and then wrote it down. Such prophecies are fallible and always, always, ALWAYS incomplete. The prophet could have "seen" a child conceived by midiclorians but have been blind to another agent manipulating those midiclorians, just as the prophet was blind to the Chosen One's marriage, children, and fall to the dark side. The prophet seems to have missed quite a lot, actually.

Also, while this is subjective, I have a hard time with the idea that the Force itself would do something like create a fatherless child. It's the Force. Why would the Force bend nature like that? The Force is nature. Just to make a powerful Force-user? Powerful Force users can be conceived naturally.

(I'm of the strong opinion that Anakin wasn't strong in the Force because he had a high midiclorian count. I think Anakin had a high midiclorian count because he was strong in the Force. A high count is a symptom of a strong Force connection, not the cause. Midiclorians respond to the Force. If the Force chooses someone to be exceptionally powerful, the midiclorians will respond to that and become fruitful and multiply. That's the whole point of midiclorians: the biological link to the Force is something outside of your own genome. It's symbiosis, not the X-gene.)

Anakin's called "The Chosen One." The Will of the Force didn't make him. The Will of the Force chose him.

On the other hand, it makes perfect sense to me that a Sith Lord obsessed with unlocking the key to immortality would be trying to find a way to twist and manipulate normal biological processes via the midiclorians, and performing all sorts of crazy experiments to see what could and could not be done. Anakin's conception, either by purpose or by accident, seems entirely consistent with something a Sith Lord might do.

It's the Sith who seek to bend the rules of nature, not the Force itself. So, I think Anakin is a Sith creation. But who? Plagueis, or Sidious?

2. I concur with thejeditraitor. I think that when Sidious confesses to Anakin that he actually can't cheat death, and that they would have to work together to achieve this ability, he is being honest. Sidious is a master liar, but this would be a very strange and dangerous lie. If Sidious does have this power and is just trying to string Anakin along, there are easier ways to do it that are less likely to backfire. Look, he's straight-up telling Anakin, whose loyalty may still be quite tenuous, that he was lying before. But that means that if he's lying now, then he was telling the truth before. So, either Sidious was telling the truth and then started lying, or he was lying and then came clean. I think the second option makes more sense. If Sidious does not have this power, and really does need Anakin's help, Anakin must discover this fact eventually, so best to get out in front of the truth early, when Sidious can still spin it. When does a Sith tell the truth? When it benefits him.

If you follow this line of reasoning, you conclude that Plagueis had abilities that Sidious had not mastered. That makes Plagueis more likely to be Anakin's creator than Sidious.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "They continually speak to us, telling us the will of the Force."

It's a Jedi prophecy, so how the Jedi prophet got the vision/message/etc was through the will of the Force.

Saga Explorer and thejeditraitor like this.
  21. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    It's been a long time since I read it, but did the Plaguies book ever clear this up?

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No. In fact, in that book, Plagueis is surprised that Anakin exists.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Lady_Misty like this.
  23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    anakin had no father.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Plagueis knew about Anakin?

25. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I'd say that Plagueis' manipulation of the Force resulted in an imbalance that the midichlorians reacted to in the form of Anakin's high Force abilities. They probably could have reacted in many different ways, but the Force "chose" to manifest this correction as Anakin. So Plag. could be considered is "father" from a certain point of view, but ultimately I think the Will of the Force is responsible.

thejeditraitor likes this.