main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Plagueis or Sidious - who is Anakin's dad?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 10, 2015.

?

Who is Anakin's daddy?

1. Darth Plagueis

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. Darth Sidious

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Well,in a cut scene of TPM Anakin is starting to beat a child for telling him he cheated to win the race:

Look at minute 13:22 in the movie above.
    That does not make Anakin a mild heart person,even when he was 9 years old.
    And why is he calling a woman from Naboo "angel" and most beautiful being he ever seen?
    More exactly,he is calling Padme like that.
    Maybe because Anakin is from his father DNA,Sidious/Palpatine from Naboo?
    Besides,Anakin almost kills his wife,which he says he was loving most,
    at the end of ROTS,from where does he have such inclinations?
    Since Palpatine also killed a lot of his family.
    EDIT:
    Qui Gon tells that he has no doubt that Anakin was conceived by the "midichlorians".
    Which is exactly same with what Darth Sidious is telling,that Darth Plagueis could "influence the midichlorians to create life".
    So I think Anakin was the ultimate weapon the Siths created to destroy the Jedis.
    But the Siths miss to find the boy and train him as a Sith and they neglect the fact that the boy
    will be extremely arrogant.

2. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Or Sidious was lying to Anakin to seduce him.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Obi-wan stated to Padme in the ROTS novelization that they really don't know all their is to know about the Force. That there is more out there that they don't know and could possibly never know. Yoda himself realizes this during his training with the Priestesses and says as much to both Serenity and to Qui-gon.

Which was a compromise on the matter.

Anakin is angry because everyone has anger issues.

YODA: "Much anger in him, like his father."

OBI-WAN: "Was I any different when you taught me?"

That doesn't mean that Anakin was predisposed to the dark side. Just that he had anger issues. He calls Padme an angel because she is like one. A lot of guys have done that with women that they like. As to nearly killing her, he does that when he is already evil. He never does it as a Jedi. Only as a Sith.

4. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Anakin kills women and children to avenge his mother death.
    When he is very young,maybe 16 or 18 or so.
    "I killed them.
    I killed them all.
    They're dead.
    Every single one of them.
    And not just the men...
    but the women...
    and the children too.
    They're like animals,
    and I slaughtered them like animals!
    I hate them!"
    If that is not a Sith Lord - like behavior I do not have what more to say.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Fine, but you want to use that statement as a blanket rationale to downplay what Ben says about the Will of the Force and destiny, despite the fact that Lucas has said the very same things.

What you are attempting to paint as ignorance on the part of the Jedi is simply Lucas' intentional choice to be light on the details in regards to what the Force is and does: George Lucas: "I read a lot of books about mythology and theories behind mythology; one of the books was The Hero of a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, but there were many others, maybe as many as fifty books. I basically worked out a general theory for the Force, and then played with it. The more detail I went into, the more it detracted from the concept I was trying to put forward. I wanted to take all religions, major religions and primitive religions and come up with something they might have in common. It worked better as I got less specific...So the real essence was to try to deal with the Force but not to be too specific about it." - Annotated Screenplays.

The whole point of Ben's and Yoda's characters in ANH and ESB is to teach Luke (and the audience) in the ways of the Force, and now you want us to believe that Lucas wrote those lines to show that Ben and Yoda were wrong? I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head.

Find me a quote where Lucas says the Force doesn't have a will, or that the Force doesn't affect one's destiny, or that Ben or Yoda were wrong when they said these things.

I'll wait....

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not knowing everything doesn't mean they are ignorant about. The Force is an energy field created by life. It has a will and is partially able to control one's actions while also able to be controlled. The Jedi didn't know, for example, that they could retain their identity after death. But that doesn't mean that what they know and believe in is questionable.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

That's the behavior of a man who let his emotions get the better of him and is fueled by the power of the Force. Any Jedi could do that if pushed far enough emotionally.

I'll post to you what Lucas has said about religion and mankind's understanding of it.

MOYERS: Do you have an opinion, or are you looking?

LUCAS: I think there is a God. No question. What that God is or what we know about that God, I'm not sure. The one thing I know about life and about the human race is that we've always tried to construct some kind of context for the unknown. Even the cavemen thought they had it figured out. I would say that cavemen understood on a scale of about 1. Now we've made it up to about 5. The only thing that most people don't realize is the scale goes to 1 million.

--"Of Myth And Men", Time Magazine interview, 1999.

That was the basis by which Stover wrote that segment in the novelization, and it came from Lucas in his own writing for ROTS. Later on, TCW highlighted it.

YODA: "Failed to stop the Sith Lord, I have. Still much to learn, there is…"

SERENITY: "Deep in your core, you felt that we had nothing to teach you, but you must trust in our teachings if you are to succeed."

There is always more to learn about not only ourselves and the world around us, but even when it comes to deities, there is so much that we don't understand. There may or may not be a will to the Force. The Jedi only have a belief system. The great mystery is what lies beyond and it is something that Qui-gon, Yoda and Obi-wan come to understand when they become one with the Force.

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Not one thing you've written says anything in regards to Ben and Yoda being wrong when they explained the Will of the Force and destiny to Luke, and by proxy, exposition to the audience. You are throwing general statements at the wall in the hopes that they will stick.

9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    How this has eluded this thread so far is baffling.

[​IMG]

thejeditraitor and MeBeJedi like this.
  10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

I never said that they were wrong. I said that they don't know everything there is to know about the Force. Being a Jedi doesn't mean that they know everything. That was why they didn't know that they could retain their identity upon their deaths. The Jedi only know what they think they know, but they do not know everything. What Lucas said to Moyers sixteen years ago is a reflection of that.

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Then without specific information to the contrary, the scenes with Ben and Yoda explaining what they do know about the Force to Luke stand as exposition for the audience.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm not saying that it doesn't. But they do not know everything. That's my point. The Jedi have more to learn about the Force, which can only come through time and training. But at present, they only know what they think they know.

13. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    I never really knew what to make of this when I saw episode III the first time. Clearly they were trying to draw a connection between plagueis and Anakin's birth, but I was never able to decide if Sidious is simply lying about the whole thing to confuse Anakin, or if we were meant to take that as the truth behind Anakin's birth....

I probably subconsciously didn't pay attention to the story because he mentioned midichlorians, one of the top 5 dumbest things to grace Star Wars lore. Right up there with Ewoks and Jar Jar.....(or Gungans in general, though admittedly the rest of them were not as annoying as Jar Jar himself).

In any case, I still don't know what to think about this. I always liked the idea that the force himself conceived him rather than a Sith Lord USING the force. In the end I guess it is just up to interpretation since I'm pretty sure Lucas contradicted himself when asked this very question in interviews.

14. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Should have been the guy in the hovel down the street from Shmi, but it was the Force.
    ------------

I've always said this.