main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Plagueis: The Muun behind Damask

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Your mileage may vary, and all that. Still, one notes he only appears menacing with a canon-contradicting nose, and I think he looks somewhat ridiculous (or as much as any Muun) without it.

2. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    He's a Sith. If you want to make him look menacing, have his face rot and fall due to the Dark Side and leave him with a skull for face.

Also, Plagueis was supposed to have his face badly wounded, so he had a scarred face and had to use a breathing mask at all times. A skilled artist could make a scary face out of that concept.

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Not as Canon contradicting as you thought:

[​IMG]

I guess San Hill just had a Nose-job which went bad.

Saga Explorer and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    That is to say, it contradicts Plagueis' previous canonical appearances, and incidentally the vast majority of Muun depictions.

That was one of the concepts used for The Force Unleashed, before the idea of including him was scrapped. Suitably frightening, agreed.
    I always thought one route they could have taken is have him so badly deformed by the dark side he has no apparent facial features, with empty sockets for eyes and thin stretching skin covering a horrific rictus mouth. Looking like something of a cross between Voldemort mid-resurrection ritual and Slenderman.
    [​IMG]

5. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015

But Master Dreadwar if you think about it - by DEFAULT - ANY MATERIAL IMBUED WITH THE FORCE can be used as a Weapon and it is able to withstand a Lightsaber at the very least - so surely it may have been imbued with The Force perhaps? Or indeed it may have had other surprises hidden in it ... OR can you imagine him channeling Sith Lightning through it? >:D

BTW do you have the Black Series Darth Plagueis figure? I reckon he's fairly rare ...

But as with Darth Plagueis returning - wasn't he dismissive of Essence Transfer or returning as a FORCE GHOST for the matter? And I want to ask - both Canon and EU - IF Darth Plagueis DID NOT help Palpatine or even find him - could Palpatine have rose to the level of Power he was destined to be? Or odds are he would never have had as much chance or success - he may still rise to a level of Power BUT nowhere near politics at best?

Darth_Dreadwar ah but Master Dreadwar - I meant suppose NO ONE helped him and suppose IF Darth Plagueis ignored him and such - suppose Palpatine ALONE - with NO HELP could he have still achieved a high level of Power or what he was destined to be? Or most likely not without any help or resources? Sure he may have already been interested in the Sith and Dark Side at a young age BUT given then why else was it he was 'desperate' when Cosinga Palpatine threatened to remove him from Darth Plaguies or even when young Palpatine then was still in anguish after murdering House Palpatine...

6. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    Well, I assumed by default that any lightsaber pike would be resistant to lightsaber blades, whether it be through Sith alchemy, temporary suffusion of the Force or of course phrik, bes'kar or the like, otherwise they'd make fairly useless weapons. I'd find it a little dull if that was its only hidden power. Perhaps it worked like the oracle stone, bolstering or even outright providing Plagueis' precognitive abilities? I was always a little annoyed at the contradiction between Tenebrous' possession sapping Plagueis' foresight and his blatant use of precognition afterward, and it'd be thematically appropriate for a wizardly staff.

I don't, no. And yes, dismissing essence transfer was one of Plagueis' greatest follies, but it might not be one that carries over into the new canon. I think Palpatine would have likely sought out Sith knowledge anyway, given his awareness of them, and given that the Ketos achieved a whole lot with a mere stolen spellbook, I suspect Palpatine would have ended up a self-proclaimed Sith anyway, which definitely would have caught Plagueis' attention eventually regardless. It could make an interesting divergence point for an AU fanfic, though, if Palpatine got lucky and found a holocron or spirit willing to train him in the ancient ways of the Sith.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think Palpatine still could have become Senator of Naboo without The Force. He was a shrewd politician from a respected family. Chancellor I'm not sure about. Emperor I doubt because of the Jedi.

Darth_Dreadwar Even if Plagueis was a Muun when he was Sheev's master, that doesn't mean that he's still a Muun when episodes 7-9 occur.

Sudooku and Darth_Dreadwar like this.
  8. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi Darth Dreadwear,

thank you for your detailed answer about Plagueis' marvellous staff and else.:)

Hi Darklordoftech,

When ep. 7-9 really would contain Plagueis, that could mean that we could also expect a Pre-Prequel-trilogy to happen. Like the prequel followed the OT before. Wasn't Star Wars compiled in twelve parts originally?:D

Pre-Prequel trilogy could be chaptered in three parts like this:

I: The rift in the Force is produced by Tenebrous' Twi'lek-Master, who finally gets a name and a face. Jedi are worried a bit. A new human couple in love arises in the Jedi-Order to catch the attendance of the fangirls.

II: Tenebrous kills his master and takes Plagueis and Venamis as apprentices. We see the whole family-drama of Caar Damask with his main wife at Muunilinst and later his Codicil-wife, Hego's mother at Mygeeto. The love-couple in the Jedi-temple may proceed.

III: Plagueis kills his master, discovers Venamis and two years later Palpatine. We see young Palpatine. He may have a lover who is supposed to be killed by Palpatine himself at Plagueis' orders. We see some podraces at Malastare and later on Tatooine. Also how the Clone army will come into existence. The final part culminates with the killing of Plagueis. The love-couple in the Jedi-Temple will be torn apart dramatically (Qui-Gon and Knight Tahl?) Over.

The mask-makers and digital-animators will have a lot to do but it would be worth it.

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    A fully CGI main protagonist would be very interesting.

Even Jar Jar or Gollum weren't the main characters, so having Plagueis realised in 3 films by CGI would be awesome.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  10. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Total off topic, but I just have to say that this is the most clever thread title I've ever seen.

On topic... what if Palpatine takes a role similar to what Anakin did in the prequels? Basically have the pre-prequels be about Sidious' rise to power, and have it be centered around him as a character.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if it should be animated so that McDiarmid can voice it.

12. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I remember in this regard the last words spoken by dying Caar Damask to his son Hego to lead the week and to punish those who stand in his way. He also said to Hego: Do what has to be done.

And I will always wonder if Plagueis' Empire would have been a different kind than that Empire under Palpatine's thumb.

13. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    What bugs me a bit in the novel are two things:

1. Luceno states that the chins of Damask and Larsh Hill do become grey by time. I always thought Muun don't have any hair. So there were beards?

2. The proposed natural inclination of Hego Damask to the Dark Side from his earliest childhood on. Luceno states that young Hego disliked the incoming Jedi on Mygeeto in search of Adegan crystals for their training-lightsabers, because he felt their alien expression of the Force being Ligth Side to be uncomfortable, while he felt drawn towards Tenebrous much more.

I always thought that you become Jedi or Sith by teaching, not by birth. But here Luceno draws a picture of people naturally destined for dark or light-side of the Force. A just can't acquaint to his thoughts like this.

What do you think?

14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

That would be great. McDiarmid is fab.

Saga Explorer and darklordoftech like this.
  15. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Hmm I wonder - who do you reckon would be the ideal voice actor for Darth Plagueis...

16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I always thought Michael Wincott could be cool as Plagueis for some reason.

The Sith Camp likes this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think Benedict Cumberbatch would be a great fit.

Darth_Dreadwar and The Sith Camp like this.
  18. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

Really? Why?

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    He can be intimidating (Smaug), but he can also make his villains very relatable (Khan), which I think is what Luceno did a great job with in the Plagueis book. Plus he is just an all-around great actor. And his voice fits Plagueis for me.

20. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

Hello again! Slightly unrelated BUT BUT IF Godzilla were to ever 'speak' and in the 2018 film w' King Ghidorah in Godzilla 2? I could imagine Cumberbach speaking or voicing King Ghidorah ;)

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    He likes to listen to The Dark Side of the Muun. ;)

22. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe one of the spin-off films will be "Muunilisnt: Muuney Never Sleeps"

24. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    In "Darth Maul: Lockdown" by Joe Schreiber, we see a Plagueis who is frightening Sidious several times. One time he shows up unexpectedly in Sidious' dressing chamber in his apartment in Republica500. Plagueis tells the shocked Sidious that there are few pleasures left for him.
    Seems like Plagueis was a very blue Muun for the last days in his life.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    Could be referring to pigmentation of the skin, not graying of facial hair, just coincidentally visually similar signs of aging.

Psychopathy is a natural inclination IRL (and is surprisingly accurately depicted by Luceno in bored, listless, ambitious and callous young Palpatine). It would make sense for such personality types to be predisposed to the dark side if they were Force-sensitivite. But furthermore, I don't think Plagueis is depicted as being predestined for the dark side in a way Omen-child Vitiate is for instance, but rather he has an instinctive negative response to the aura of the Jedi. This is a reaction to the unfamiliar any child would have, particularly if one already has callous tendencies and is surrounded by and thus acclimated to an aura of greed and selfishness.

As for Plagueis in the ST...
    there's a good thread in the TFA Spoiler forum covering that debate. Good arguments on both sides, I feel.