main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Plane Crash in New York

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Arun Dale, Sep 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumping Jedi Flash

Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 1999
    American World Policy
    This sort of thing was going to happen at some time, americas world policy has never been great.

The americas will see this as an attack on them, but in truth the people that did this(whoever) see this as reaction to american policy.

Airline security
    Aircraft security across america is bad, ie nothing. It was increased during the 70's when a lot of hijacks happened, the FIAA (American Regulation body on aircraft travel around/over america air space) started to put agents on flights to protect the pilots and the like, I know this type of protection was still going on during the 90s.
    Also getting anything on to an internal flight in america is easy. Its like walking on a bus, cause americans dont like the hassle of security checks. If britain was as big people would also probably not see the point of internal flights that require bags checked etc.

Type of action that we can now expect
    Well there will be a lot of death now as america will attack who they think will be responsible. The problem with this is that the other side will take action, and it will go on. Also it has been proved that bombing is not always the way to go about things, when a factory that was producing penicillin was hit.
    Also the wording of Bushs statement is enough to make people scared,

"will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbour them"

aimed squarely at the countries that aid and hide this people. Alot of people are pointing at Afganhastan but when that FBI building got bombed everybody pointed that way. But it was an american, not saying that this was an american.
    But it proves that blaming people straight away is wrong and does not always point to the people who did it.
    Also if america does damage to the wrong "targets" this might lead other countries to get involved

how this will change the world
    Well i think that there will be increased checks on americans internal flights and all people will all have to be searched before getting on board.
    Also this might help Russia and America work more together, as Russian President said

Russia are also use to terrorist action

this is good for a more stable world with respect to nuclear weapons. Also it might help groups and coalition such as NATO and the EU work together and stop fighting about what they do about certain things. This will let them have a chance to work together.

Buildings, this might prove that have a huge building is not a good idea, the more people you can squeeze upwards means that more people can get injured if it comes down.

other

a list of businesses that were in the Trade Centre.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/21615.html

May we never forget

2. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    I second that, Dan

3. Izzi

Izzi Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Excuse me, I take offense to that.

I've flown in and out of the majority of major airports in this country and I've flown in and out of your two main airports and the security involved in accessing gates in all of them is the same.

No one is gunning for anyone until we know who did this. During the gulf war, there were little to no civilian casualties so if you want to make us look like the brutal parent, get your facts straight.

4. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    I seconded the "May We Never Forget" bit.

5. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    I am not trying to offend anybody, if so sorry.

But

I've flown in and out

there is different procedures for internal and across border flights.

Also I was not talking about the Gulf, I was making reference to when an american cruise missile hit afganhstan, during the time when Clinton was at the hit of his monaca trial.

I can agree that you want to take action, hell i do, but there is a difference between a knee jerk and calculated action. (SIC)

6. Izzi

Mar 22, 2001
    If it was going to be "knee jerk" it would have already happened.

And I'm telling you that security is the same regardless of where the planes are bound for.

7. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    Hate to say this, but that's bollocks Beth...

I was metal searched and my bags X-rayed and hand searched when I left the UK and when I arrived in the US last October. I then caught a connecting flight within to Florida. No check, no search, no nothing. I just rechecked my luggage in and walked straight onto the plane...

8. Izzi

Mar 22, 2001
    Because you didn't leave the airport, you nit wit! ;)

Security gates are at entrances.

9. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    I am also talking about the flight back from Florida to Pennsylvania. Did I get checked over? Yes. Did my bag? Bugger if it did. It got checked when I got to Penn and was going back to Heathrow though...

ED: Having said that, things weren't any better on the Eurostar I took a few weeks ago. Going there and back, my bag wasn't searched either...

10. Izzi

Mar 22, 2001
    Bags are x-rayed after you check them. There's a ton of security procautions you never see.

11. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    I'm talking about carry-on here Beth. Yes I know all hold luggage gets X-rayed throughly now. Eurostar didn't even check me over either, let alone my carry bag. Bit worrying...

12. Izzi

Mar 22, 2001
    They didn't x ray it when you went through the gate? Cause that's just stupid. It's required here. Your carry ons get run through, your checked baggage gets run through and you get run through.

The only difference is that at Heathrow I got patted down. :( Very embarrassing....that wouldn't happen here. Random pat downs...nope, not here.

13. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    Here from the very lips (well fingers anyway, he types) of Michael Moore is evidence if ever you need it.

I would italic it all but its big and you would not like to read it all in italics

Death, Downtown

Dear friends,

I was supposed to fly today on the 4:30 PM American Airlines flight from
    LAX to JFK. But tonight I find myself stuck in L.A. with an incredible
    range of emotions over what has happened on the island where I work and
    live in New York City.

My wife and I spent the first hours of the day -- after being awakened by
    phone calls from our parents at 6:40am PT -- trying to contact our daughter
    at school in New York and our friend JoAnn who works near the World Trade
    Center.

I called JoAnn at her office. As someone picked up, the first tower
    imploded, and the person answering the phone screamed and ran out, leaving
    me no clue as to whether or not she or JoAnn would live.

It was a sick, horrible, frightening day.

On December 27, 1985 I found myself caught in the middle of a terrorist
    incident at the Vienna airport -- which left 30 people dead, both there and
    at the Rome airport. (The machine-gunning of passengers in each city was
    timed to occur at the same moment.)

I do not feel like discussing that event tonight because it still brings up
    too much despair and confusion as to how and why I got to live? a fluke, a
    mistake, a few feet on the tarmac, and I am still here, there but for the
    grace of?

Safe. Secure. I?m an American, living in America. I like my illusions. I
    walk through a metal detector, I put my carry-ons through an x-ray machine,
    and I know all will be well.

Here?s a short list of my experiences lately with airport security:

* At the Newark Airport, the plane is late at boarding everyone. The
    counter can?t find my seat. So I am told to just ?go ahead and get on? --
    without a ticket!

* At Detroit Metro Airport, I don?t want to put the lunch I just bought at
    the deli through the x-ray machine so, as I pass through the metal
    detector, I hand the sack to the guard through the space between the
    detector and the x-ray machine. I tell him ?It?s just a sandwich.? He
    believes me and doesn?t bother to check. The sack has gone through neither
    security device.

* At LaGuardia in New York, I check a piece of luggage, but decide to catch
    a later plane. The first plane leaves without me, but with my bag -- no one
    knowing what is in it.

* Back in Detroit, I take my time getting off the commuter plane. By the
    time I have come down its stairs, the bus that takes the passengers to the
    terminal has left -- without me. I am alone on the tarmac, free to wander
    wherever I want. So I do. Eventually, I flag down a pick-up truck and an
    airplane mechanic gives me a ride the rest of the way to the terminal.

* I have brought knives, razors; and once, my traveling companion brought a
    hammer and chisel. No one stopped us.

Of course, I have gotten away with all of this because the airlines
    consider my safety SO important, they pay rent-a-cops $5.75 an hour to make
    sure the bad guys don?t get on my plane. That is what my life is worth --
    less than the cost of an oil change.

Too harsh, you say? Well, chew on this: a first-year pilot on American
    Eagle (the commuter arm of American Airlines) receives around $15,000 a
    year in annual pay.

That?s right -- $15,000 for the person who has your life in his hands.
    Until recently, Continental Express paid a little over $13,000 a year.
    There was one guy, an American Eagle pilot, who had four kids so he went
    down to the welfare office and applied for food stamps -- and he was eligible!

Someone on welfare is flying my plane? Is this for real? Yes, it is.

So spare me the talk about all the precautions the airlines and the FAA is
    taking. They, like all businesses, are concerned about one thing -- the
    bottom line and the profit margin.

Four teams of 3-5 people were all able to penetrate airport security on the
    same morning at 3 different airports and pu

14. Wedges_Wingman

Wedges_Wingman Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 11, 2001
    Probably not random... if you fit the profile they'll pat you down. Example:

A friend of ours had to go to a family funeral in Canada. She got searched both legs of the journey - and she fitted the profile for a drugs mule: Young woman, ticket bought at the last minute with a credit card that was not hers (her husband's) with a short stopover at the other end.

Or maybe the security officer was a perv... ;)

-J

15. Izzi

Mar 22, 2001
    Oh whatever, I was just sooo humiliated. And then when I got to Boston, my bags were searched! I was like, HEY!!!! :(

And I have never experienced security that lazy. I worked for an airline for awhile a couple years ago and trust me when I tell you not even the airline personnel could get on those planes without being searched.

16. anakin_pm

anakin_pm Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    I have just had to post this into the SWAT3 lobbys at Sierras site....

People I would like to annoce that one of my team members has been presumed dead at the scene,
    28A*Cpl.MetroPD was a fine player and will be missed by myself and the rest of the team.
    Mike was a Police officer at the local station near to the scene of destruction and has been to belived to be in the tower when It had collapsed so please people, pay youre depts of graditude to his family and friend on the Forums on our site and they will be forwarded to his family.

Iam a member of the 28A* clan, a Lt. in fact, and this is not one of the things you expect to do as part of the comms officer duties.

Ive just posted this at every place I post. Not a good way to start the day :(

17. AJA

AJA Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1998
    Michael Moore should be beaten to death with a tire iron.

18. Wordy

Wordy Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 6, 2001
    Hello all. I'm just finding some time to post my two-peneth on this terrible state of affairs.

I watched a lot of the coverage yesterday on BBC news 24 with *most* of my fellow Space Deparment people...on a small tv in one of our labs. The images and situation I saw them in will remain with me forever - I couldn't believe how those terrible pictures were effecting me. We just watched the footage with expressions of complete dis-belief.

I have an internet chat pal based in New Jersey. When I chatted to her last night (briefly) she seemed in fragmented pieces - emotionally that is - it was terrible. She had a pal trapped on Manhattan island, out of contact at that time, but thanfully I believe no where near the financial district. I felt so sorry for her, but also for the thousands of people that were killed or injured yesterday in those dreadful crimes. To be honest, at one point last night I felt so emotional I nearly cried. Anyway, I believe she saw from her place the towers actually come down. It was shocking enough to see them on the tv live, let alone in real life. She and her friends went to give blood in a local hospital yesterday evening, for aid to the victims.

I also called my Washington DC based pals as well, and they are both okay but one of them works about 5 miles away from the Pentagon so I was naturally concerned. However, she was only a victim of 'traffic chaos' when she attempted to get home early.

I hope we can all agree that our thoughts go to the victims and their families and friends at this time. Remember, this is not an attack on America alone, those buildings represented much much more. Its an attack on our way of life.

As horrible as this may sound, I believe we can conclude that NOWHERE is safe anymore.
    :(

Derek

19. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Why do you want to do that, AJA?

20. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    In an unprecedented move the US National Anthem will be played during a special changing of the guard ceremony to be held at Buckingham Palace at 1130BST on Thursday.

beeb link

21. Izzi

Mar 22, 2001
    Now that's just weird....

22. MomentOfTriumph

MomentOfTriumph Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    no, im not having that

23. Izzi

Mar 22, 2001
    LOL! So like now that hell has frozen over, will the queen go hatless to church on Sunday?

24. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    just found out the friend I stayed with in NY has lost a friend. I just had a drink with her 3 weeks ago. She was in the WTC and was injured but managed to get out. She rang her family back in the UK from the hospital to say she was OK, just minor injuries, but later she had complications from internal injuries and died. He has gone too pieces and I can't get in touch with him.

25. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    //hugs for Chet and Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.