main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KC, MO Planet Comic Con 2008

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Tantive4, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tantive4

Tantive4 Jedi Master

Jul 18, 2006
    Hey everyone!

(sorry for the tardiness of this, due to our leadership transition, we kinda got busy planning and working, so this is a "mid-convention update" ;) )

We are currently half-way-thru Kansas Cities Planet ComicCon in Overland Park. Day 1 had a great turn out, and we got a nice front row seat to watch Mr. Bakers line!!!! We had a real nice "panel" session this morning (ok, it was yesterday, but you get the point) in which the 501st, Rebel Legion and I (representing the FF) got to "talk" to some general public... attendance was, well, a little lacking, but I think that was due to being on at 11:30a, just after the Con opened...

We had a great dinner this past week with Kenny Baker, and inducted him into our FF chapter... we are hoping to get a "2nd" public opportunity with him Sunday night, as he indicated he wanted to attend a "Jazz" place in KC before he left, and we have set this up to happen, if they (Kenny & Valerie) feel up to it.

I will get some pics put up here soon ... (once I figure out how to do it...)

Hope I get a chance to see some of you at the HOTA table on Sunday...

T4

2. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    I was there on Sunday. It was lot of fun, but Chekov seemed a little grumpy. Maybe too much SW and not enough ST support for him? Kenny Baker was fun, even though my daughter was being shy when we tried to take the photo. By the way, anyone there on Sunday probably saw us...my daughter was dressed like Wonder Woman the whole day.

Not that I'm a big fan or anything, but out of curiosity, what happened to Tiffany Taylor? She was a big name on the advertisements but I never saw her. I wondered if she was a no-show if I just didn't see her.

3. SouthernSith

SouthernSith Jedi Master star 1

Sep 9, 2007
    Yea, Checkov hardly had any lines at all all weekend. To be honest, I'm pretty much ashamed of the Trekkie in this city for that fact.
    I think Taylor backed out at the last minute. I heard rumors, but I don't know how true any were.
    Here's a link to some of our pictures of the event:
    Planet Comicon photos
    More will be added soon.

4. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    I can't see the link.

5. Tantive4

Tantive4 Jedi Master

Jul 18, 2006
    Hey RebelWookiee, I loved your "blog" story with about your experience with Checkov... Hilarious...
    I will agree with SouthernSith... Where the heck are the Trekkies??? I know we had a TON of folks out to meet Mr. Baker, but wow, talk about no love...he's original cast...not like he's some chop liver ie like someone from Voyager, DSN, or "Old School Scott Bakula Star Trek" (all of which are so not as good as the originals, movies (well not all of 'em) or even the Next Gen...

Anyway, the rumors SouthernSith referred to basically came 2nd hand from "one comic book store owner" from his buddy, "the promoter" to me, shopper of said store owner."

Basically the Playmate in question agent kept "badgering for "more than promised" leading up to the event. Not one to be taken in, the promoter didn't cave, and she simply didn't show. I hope the promoter was able to get the cost of the airline ticket back at least... little known fact, just like the vendors there, the "Celebs" and GOH's get "ALL" of their sales, and the promoter actually covers ALL of their expenses just to get them there... (hence your admission fee...)

All was fun... I hope you got a chance to stop by the HOTA table and say hi... "not sure if I saw you" between RL work and work keeping things "smoothly" running :) I did not spend too much time meeting folks this year...maybe next year I'll take the day off...

I will say this, the IRON MAN suit was quite possible the best costume of the show...

6. SouthernSith

SouthernSith Jedi Master star 1

Sep 9, 2007
    Fixed the link in the above post, and to help save some time as well, here it is again:
    Planet Comicon Photos

7. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    Thanks for the blog comments...that makes a whopping three people that have actually seen my blog! I didn't get a chance to stop by the HoTA booth this time. It's hard to wrangle a 3-year old kid and do what you want at the same time. I miss the days of strapping her in the stroller and letting her sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.