main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KC, MO Planet Comicon

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by gandalfbmg, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    Planet Comicon
    Saturday, May 5 (10 AM to 5 PM) and Sunday, May 6 (10 AM to 4 PM)
    Overland Park International Trade Center
    115th & Metcalf, Overland Park, KS

Admission is $15 for a two day pass; $6 for kids 7-14; Free 6 and under. See here for discounted advance tickets.

Among the guests this year is David Prowse, who portrayed Darth Vader in the first three Star Wars films.

HotA will have a table, below is the schedule for volunteers to work the table (times extend before and after show time for setup/tear down) please post any times you can volunteer. You can be there as long as you like to wander the floor, shop, visit, etc, but if you sign up for a time we ask that you spend it at the table (or at least one at all times for breaks and such).

Our table will include the following activities:
    * Presenting David Prowse with honorary HotA membership.
    * handing out flyers, cards, and other items to prospective members
    * a multimedia display of pictures and video of HotA
    * coloring pages and markers/colored pencils/crayons for children
    * Darryl's caricatures (Sunday only)
    * a charity raffle (details coming soon)

Click HERE for more information.

2. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    Hi all! Looks like I will be attending on Saturday with my girls. Hope to catch some of you there! :D It will be nice to see you again.

3. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    yea! We'll be there all day!

4. merrick_stoller

merrick_stoller Jedi Master star 2

May 30, 2006
    there will be 8 or so comming up from springfield the majority of us will be up sometime on friday.

darksaber in the house!! LMAO

5. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    Drop us a line if you need anything Friday. Where are you staying (near the convention? we live NOWHERE near the convention)? We'll probably be making all kinds of last minute preparations, but we can try to be as helpful as we can be given the circumstances...

6. merrick_stoller

May 30, 2006
    we are staying with andy's dad. he lives about a mile from the convention center im told.

7. GsWookie

GsWookie Jedi Master star 1

Feb 4, 2005
    Great! I can't wait to see ya'll! :D

8. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    We will be at the Super 8 in Independence. :D See you all on Saturday. :D

9. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    You're out in KC Jedi's neck of the woods then, he'll have to be your tour guide. I work out that way so if you get in before 5 or 5:30 Friday let me know if you need anything as I'm passing through to go home!

10. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    hehe, we will lucky if we get in before 10pm. (We have to wait for Steve to get off, since he has guard near there). But I will find you guys come Saturday, and maybe if you have something planned for the evening we could join you? See you all then! :D

11. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    Nothing too official planned for Sat. evening. The 501st may, and some of our members may as well, but we have the little padawan plus an early morning appt. Sunday (even before we have to be back at the con) so no partying for us, just Dinner w/ whomever wants to go after the con probably...

12. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    That sounds fine. We wouldn't be able to go party either since Steve is on duty that weekend. LOL But dinner would be great. So I will keep the evening open till then and see what comes about. :D

13. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    I got to thinking about it, and I bet some kind of Spider-Man 3 viewing may break out as well...

14. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    ohhhh I bet you are right! :D

15. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    OK, looks like we're (those that can and want to anyway) are going to try to see Spidey at 7 or 7:40 at the Cinemark Palace on the Plaza (where a couple of our members work).

16. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Hi everybody--I've never posted here before. I'm usually on the collecting board.

I live in NW Missouri and I'm thinking of coming down for this. What is it like? Worth a couple hours of driving? Would a very excited 3 year old enjoy it?

17. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    If you're into collecting, we found some pretty good stuff last time (two years ago now). It's probably the best con your going to find this close...

My son was 4 at the last show and was OK... He was a bit scared of the big mean actors who've played wookies and monsters, but he loved the costumes and such at least.

If you make it, look of our table and stop in to introduce yourself!

18. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    It sounds like fun. Is food available, or can you leave for lunch and come back in?

19. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    Last time they had a small concesion stand, but not much selection. Even so, you get a wrist band or hand stamp instead of a badge and can come and go as you like with that.

20. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to stop by your table and say hello.

21. merrick_stoller

May 30, 2006
    i had a blast! it was great seeing you guys again.

22. rebelwookiee

May 18, 2004
    It was good to meet a couple of you Sunday. I didn't get to talk much because I had to track down my family, then I caught the panel discussions. Hatch and Prowse were great...very friendly. We got there in the morning right as they were settling in, before there was any crowd, and had a chance to talk to both of them. My daughter was excited to meet "Boxey's daddy" (Old school BSG fans know what that means.) I can't wait for the next one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.