main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Planet of Twilight," by Barbara Hambly [Bantam, 1997]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jun 10, 2003.

?

"Planet of Twilight," by Barbara Hambly [Bantam, 1997]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

9.4%
  2. 9

3.8%
  3. 8

1.9%
  4. 7

1.9%
  5. 6 (Average)

3.8%
  6. 5 (Average)

17.0%
  7. 4

9.4%
  8. 3

7.5%
  9. 2

1.9%
  10. 1 (Poor)

43.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/pot_.jpg]

Synopsis:
    "Renat Chorios is a backwater land that serves as a sanctuary for a peaceful religious cult. But peace is threatened with the rise of a sinister warlord who takes Princess Leia hostage by tricking her into attending a diplomatic meeting. Meanwhile Luke continues his search for his lost love, and finds that the force has some uncontrollable and deadly powers in this strange land. At the center of the turmoil lies a once-dormant life form capable of destroying the entire galaxy."

TheForce.net Book Review for Planet of Twilight.

3. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Enjoyed some parts but most of it just didn't feel like Star Wars. And Luke never even meets up with Callista. [face_plain]

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

Same quality as Children of the Jedi.

-Evan

5. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    This takesk the cake for the worst SW book in my opinion. It's about a bunch of little sentient virus things and living crystals.. Stay away from this book, nothing in it has any long term effect on the storyline. They introduce new technology that is way to powerful like needle fighters and they have Human Replica Droids, both of which they decide to disasemble afterwards.

Felt more like reading startrek, plus it's yet another book with Callista and luke being all muchy about her...

6. Jawa_Monkey_Droid

Jawa_Monkey_Droid Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2003
    It's amazing how badly Barbara Hambly writes Star Wars fiction- It's almost as if she's never watched a Star Wars movie. The characters, as in her other Star Wars effort "Children of the Jedi" don't ACT like Star Wars characters. The writing style is more like Buffy fanfic than Star Wars storytelling. The antagonists are strange and comical, more like a Star Trek nemesis, and the protagonists don't seem to ever be in any real danger. All in all, this book is torture for any Star Wars fan.

Personally, I think Barbara Hambly and Vonda N. McIntyre are part of a conspiracy by the Trekkies to discredit and ruin Star Wars. If this book was written with any sort of love for Star Wars, I fail to see it.

As I've said before with some of the Star Wars authors (Hambly and McIntyre included) it looks like a non-Star Wars story that the author had written years ago (perhaps as a Star Trek story?) and the just changed some names and made it into Star Wars now that SW is more profitable.

Pass on this one unless you want to feel very cheated and angry.

7. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I agree with it being a shame Barbara Hambly does write Star Wars fiction. Her books are laborious to read. They don't flow and the only thing that got me thru both Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight was the grim determination to finish the task. I place this book on the same level as The Black Fleet Crisis . . . unnecessary to the Star Wars Universe.

8. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Personally, I think Barbara Hambly and Vonda N. McIntyre are part of a conspiracy by the Trekkies to discredit and ruin Star Wars [face_laugh]

9. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Hambly's books are some of my favourite Star Wars books. I voted 8.

10. LordExar

LordExar Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2003
    I voted 3. The planet of twilight is a stupidity. The other Hambly book is much more better

11. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003

It was SSSSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!

The end which pretty cool. But, the begining was slow.

My sister got board with it 1/4 of the way into it.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999

Pure awful. I read it once for completeness purposes, then never touched it again. I feel so dirty.

13. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003

The best word to describe this book: BIZARRE. I didn't care much for the whole Seti Ashgad/Dzym/Droch/Death Seed plague storyline at all, or the fact that Nam Chorios was supposed to be "alive". Way too weird for my taste; it probably would have fit better with a Star Trek novel.

But the things I did like: Leia, Leia, and Leia! I loved how she came into her own as a Jedi in this story, and I loved her fight with Beldorion. I liked her scenes with Callista (wished there had been more, though). Threepio and Artoo's little adventure was also good, and for once, I actually enjoyed Daala's presence. She wasn't the incompetent dolt that KJA portrayed her in his books. And the final, brief goodbye between Luke and Callista was touching and handled very nicely.

14. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I only read it because I was new to the EU at the time. I have spent the time after that regretting my decision.

The only redeeming feature was the droids' jaunt through the Meridian Sector.

15. Darthmcm

Darthmcm Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I would have voted in the negatives if I could. I remember it was painfully boring to read. Doesn?t feel like SW. Least favorite SW book to date, Ruins of Dantooine is my second least favorite but at least that was mildly entertaining.

16. Jbrewster1012

Jbrewster1012 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2003
    I gave POT a 5/10. I thought some parts were okay. I thought the beginning was normal stuff but then the whole "vampire" thing and Hutt jedi threw me for a loop. My friend advised me that this book would be strange, and I have to say that he was right. The only parts that I can say I liked were when the story switched to the droids, but even that part seemed long and drawn out. I had to force myself to finish it - not good.

17. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003

Nothing short of horrible. Another one of Hambly's snoozers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.