Planet of Twilight DOES NOT SUCK!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by chissdude10, Oct 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    JUst finished it and I really have to say it was much better than I accpected. Hambly kinda redemed herself with that noval for her horrible work in COJ. Anyways I just wanted to say that.
  2. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Of course it doesn't suck, silly. Barbara Hambley is a top-notch author.
  3. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Some might say she is too good for star wars. Star wars needs that bit of campy and exciting feel. Something barbera hambly stories lack. But beyond that she writes in an old fashioned style, that doesn't lend itself to star wars, but for anything else would be considered most excellent. Quality wise in star wars is very nice.

But even then I still enjoyed them, albeit much slower time reading them then most star wars books.
  4. stevenhunter Jedi Knight

star 1
    She does Leia better than anyone else, except maybe Rusch. Leia actually used a lightsaber and kicked some ass in it. Han was pretty on the mark too.
  5. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    Yes, she's the best Leia writer.

I enjoyed PoT, although it took me about a month to read it.
  6. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I agree with what some others have said. I like Children of the Jedi but thought it was too slow. I didn't like Planet of Twilight. But I've loved Hambly's fantasies, particularly the DragonsBane trio. Fantastic writing, her style just doesn't mess well with Star Wars...
  7. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  8. darthjarjarbinks Jedi Master

star 4
    I too thought planet of twilight was a good book. However I must say that I thought CotJ was terrible. I don't believe that it was just a 'different' writing style which most sw lit. readers don't appreciate. It was just boring. Furthermore the storyline was absolutely atrocious, as were the new characters and concepts introduced... IMHO :D
  9. princess_of_naboo Jedi Master

star 4
    The hole droch thing bothered me.

And IMHO the book did suck.
  10. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Well, I consider it as the worst EU book, esp. because of the plot and things like Force Crystals and Droch... And it was too kriffin' slow... But that's only my opinion...
  11. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    It's slow, and boring because of the style in which she writes, that doesn't mesh with star wars feel too well. It's like trying to insert old victorian writing style onto a universe that was intended to be Pulp Fiction like feel.
  12. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Yup. That's why I really like KJA. He's so close to the fast pace of the movies. And back to Hambly, well, I dunno, she might be a good author, or a bad one. I don't think I have the capability to judge authors, so I usually refrain to judging them.

On the contrary, well, as most people, I 'feel' novels. And it the case of PoT, I did not feel it, at least not in SW terms.
  13. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I liked it. I thought she did a particularly good job on the droids. The only SW books I absolutely dispose are the GODV ones.

TC
  14. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
    Of course POT didn't suck.......at least not as bad as CotJ ;)
  15. dark_jedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    planet of twilight is a terrible sw book, it sucks!
  16. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I didn't like it, it was too slow for a Star Wars book, and I hated the vampire-ish guy and those icky big bugs. :(
  17. EnforcerSG Jedi Master

star 4
    The reason why i do not like POT is the plot. The writting style was hard to understand (i cant remember a darn thing from it). I wanted Luke and Calasta to at least find each other and say good bye, and i wanted Dalla to fight again instead of just running off and retiring (all that talk about love of the Empire was a load of bleep then?). I think CotJ was better written, more fast passed action that we have come to expect of Star Wars (the OT). And just a glimer of commen sense. If something sucks, be a bit brighter to back it up, you are sorta as unclear as the book was.
  18. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    "Well, I consider it as the worst EU book, esp. because of the plot and things like Force Crystals and Droch... And it was too kriffin' slow... But that's only my opinion..."

I totally agree. I could not have said it better. I thought the vampire thing was AWFUL and the drochs were lame. Also something about her writing style is boring and tedious for me to get through.

For more of my feelings on this, see the Barbara Hambly thread.
  19. Galleon Jedi Knight

star 2
    TO me it didn't suck, it just didn't need to be written. She does an incredible job writing Leia but her character was already developed. Also I saw Darksaber as the perfect ending to Luke's relationship, and didn't need a book of Luke Whining for her.
    CotJ was okay compared to some other works in EU, and I read it right after reading the first book in the Lando Adventures so I have a hard time seeing it in such bad terms.
  20. RikAntinney Force Ghost

This is the only mainstream Bantam SW (not including YA novels, etc) book that I don't own. I didn't pick it up because I really didn't like CotJ. I should really pick it up if only to complete the collection.

I'd like to see more of Daala post JA trilogy I guess.
  21. Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling

star 5
    About damn time somebody said it.
    Planet Of Twilight is one of my favorite books.
    COTJ isn't bad either, IMO.

They should have let Hambly write the second book in the 'Calista trilogy', instead of KJA. I have nothing against him, and I enjoyed the JAT, but I just didn't really like Darksaber.
  22. ImperialGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think Hambly's a good author, but she's not a good Star Wars author. Her books have never felt at all like Star Wars to me, and I still have that hangup about her copout ending to CotJ. (If you are going to kill a character, do it. Don't wuss out. Off 'em and keep 'em dead.) However, some of her non-Star Wars stuff is great. (She's a good vampire writer.) I honestly was so bored by PoT that I don't even remember what happened in it.
  23. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Heh, you want boring? Try Jennifer Robert's Jerriko stories in TFTMEC and TFJP. Even Whitman can write him better then she can!

TC
  24. jastermereel Jedi Master

star 4
    i decided to retract my PoT bashing statment not on the message delivered but merely upon the way it was...sort of like Fallwell after the 11th......only mine was actualy true...
  25. _Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Master

star 4
    ARE YOU ON CRACK? okay, i back you up on the Chiss man, but not the PoT!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.