main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Planetary security forces.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AussieRebel, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AussieRebel

AussieRebel Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 2, 2005
    In the duration of the Star Wars films, many of the planets and organisations we come across maintain state armies or defence forces. From Naboo's Royal Security Forces to Lobot's men on Cloud City, to the Utapauns and Wookies in Ep. III, there are many. Corellia and Coruscant we know also maintain powerful defenses. But what roles did these organisation play in the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War?

Any thoughts?

2. Jawas_Poodoo

Jawas_Poodoo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    my guess is that planetary security forces within the republic served mainly as "homeland security". they sealed off borders and monitored the movements of potential separtist sympathizers.

the clone army had a finite number of troops. therefore, they were mainly used for offensive campaigns and the protection of the core worlds, especially coruscant. if a planet were under seige from the separtists in a surprise attack, the planetary defense would have to hold them off until the republic army arrived.

the planetary security forces of the largest separtist groups, however, would devote a significant amount of manpower and materiale to the war effort. neimodians, for example, used their trade federation fleets in battle and enlisted their people to operate these vessls.

the separtist planets were gambling with alot more then the republic worlds.

EDIT: during the galactic civil war the empire would have kept a close eye on any security force. on corellia, for example the CorSec was allowed some degree of autonomy, but was overseen by an imperial garrison. if any planet amassed too much weaponry or agents then it would be destroyed and re-established under imperial leadership.

3. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    What did Planetary Security Forces do in the wars? Anything the regulars couldn't or wouldn't. Insystem fast response; border patrol and security; counterterror; emergency relief/search & rescue; customs detail; intelligence; hold-out-until-the-regulars-show-up duties; you name it.

4. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I imagine that a lot of planets had to fend for themselves. In the begining of the war, the clone army was roughly the size of the US millitary. That's not enought to fight a intergalactic war.

5. CDFT

CDFT Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    Yeah. 200,000 troops, with another million ready soon. I don't see how you can fight a galactic war spanning thousands of systems with that. Am I missing something? Does a novel say they raised a non-clone army, and/or got a billion more clones? Crazy...

6. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    1.2 million clones. According to LoE, that's all there ever was. They remained a sort of response force to any Separatist advances with planetary security holding out until then, as someone said earlier.

Also, I guess it wasn't easy for them, because circa LoE there were just under 600,000 clones left.

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Hmm... what the planetary security/defence people do depends on the planet, basically.

Major Core worlds like Kuat and Corellia have full-scale army/navy military forces, while the old RPG material provides a lot of Outer Rim examples of locally-organized 'sector fleets' with ships up to cruiser scale, surviving from the Old Republic under the Empire.

There's also some sort of pan-planetary "Outland Regions Defence Force" with serious firepower... and I think there are some vague hints in Coruscant and the Core Worlds that some 'member states' are primarily military organizations - possibly old federal commands turned into devolved 'member states' at the Ruusan Reformation...

When the Republic says they have no military, what they really mean is that they have no federally-organized military with a central command structure on Coruscant...

Everything beyond that is propaganda. :p

- The Imperial Ewok

8. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Anaxes seemed to be primarily a military state more than anything else.

9. DARTH_VRUC

DARTH_VRUC Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2004
    Well, I'd guess that each planet had it's own military forces, just like Earth (though in SW the planets are unified).Though there size is unknown...
    Corellia has pretty large military, for example.
    I'd say that most planets have several starfighter squadrons, maybe a frigate or a small destoyer class vessel and (possibly) some orbital defence platforms.

10. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    The Empire took control of all militaries, except for maybe a few Core worlds like Kuat. But even the bulk of the military became Imperial authority.

In a sense, it was a very good thing. Keeps dangerous toys out of silly politicians. In TIE Fighter, I believe the Empire enforced a peace upon two warring races, by virtue of the sword and disarmnament.

11. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Pelranius: that was precisely what I was thinking of... [face_mischief]

Fingolfin: um, not quite... here's a partial list of some surviving planetary/system/sector forces under the Imperial era...

The Corellian Defence Force: includes CorSec, and also the Corelian Defence Force Space Service ("Corellian Sector Fleet"). CorSec includes beat cops, but also intelligence officers and X-wing pilots, while we see a Kaloth-class battlecruiser and some Corellian gunships masquerading convincingly as a Sector Fleet attack-group in Specter of the Past - all old designs likely to have been in service during the Imperial period. By the NJO, the Sector Fleet has at least two Strident-class Star Defenders, probably the most powerful warships launched since the last Super Star Destroyers...

Kuat: Kuat has at least two Imperial-class Star Destroyers in its own defence force during Iron Fist. Curtis Saxton also gave us the Prequel-era Mandator-class Star Dreadnaughts...

The Tapani Common Navy - the Tapani Freeworlds, which include the major shipyard world of Tallaan, have their own navy, including the 750m Tapani-class cruiser (image here), the 375m Tapani-class carrier, which deploys Manta starfighters (image here) by the score...

On the Outer Rim, Elrood Sector has Star Destroyers like the Thunderflare assigned to its Sector Fleet, but the local shipyards, Elrood StarYards, builds 300m Prosperity-class light cruisers (image here)...

In the Tion Hegemony, Sienar Fleet Systems' 150m Lianna-class corvettes have a defence/police role...

The Corporate Sector Authority, of course, operates a fleet of largely second-hand ships, including old 2km Invincible-class Dreadnaughts, the 250 Victory Star Destroyers decommissioned out of the 27th Denarian Fleet, and 195m Sienar Marauder-class pocket cruisers. Now 250 VicStars is an awful lot of modern capital ships, and apparently, their standard planetary-pacification squadron is an Invincible, a VicStar, and two Marauders...

Rodia has the Chattza Protectors, primarily the city guard of the new post-Endor capital, Iskaayuma - but the planetary Home Fleet is also part of the organization.

We also know that Etan A'baht commanded the small Dornean Navy which held off the Empire...

I'm pretty sure there are others... :)

- The Imperial Ewok

12. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    There's the Thyferran Aerospace Defence Force mentioned at the end of tBW, which sounded like it was just starfighters (headed by Bror Jace). The TADF also probably has some ground forces liberated from the THDC, thougyh quite what they'd do with them I don't know...

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Abath commanded the apparently small force of eighty warships. Which is pretty big.

Despite the Empire nationalising the fleets, each individual planet seems to have kept or created new fleets.

We know 20 million ships existed in the republics borders. Assumedly including freighters and destroyers....so if anyone can guess the ratio between freighters or tramp ships and warhips, then we could at least stab in the dark at the size of warfleets for normal worlds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.