main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Planets in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Aug 20, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    plus nobody has any desire to see Endor again

2. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Well 30 years of lore just got swept under the table. A lot of stuff needs to be explained so I'm sure VII won't be a nice and simple movie.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  3. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

How much OT time was spent explaining the 20 years between Episodes III and IV?

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  4. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

There was no Episode 3 at that time.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How much time have we spent exploring the OT time period itself aside from Episodes 4-6?

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014

It doesn't matter. The backstory we received in the OT was enough to serve its story. In the same way, I don't want to go into all kinds of details on what happened between VI and VII when we should mostly be focused on the ST. Save that stuff for standalones, cartoons, novels, etc.

7. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

The actual prequels turned out way different to my interpretation from the OT's description of the events. So, yeah. I don't want to believe in a lie. They need to show us more than the OT did.

8. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014

I wholeheartedly agree with you on how the prequels turned out, but don't blame that on the OT. Lucas should've made them more compatible by watching the OT movies repeatedly, taking notes and insisting on remaining true to what came before instead of largely doing them the way he wanted.

That said, we don't need to be bogged down with all this information in VII catching us up to the present. People don't do this in real life. They mostly focus on the present while occasionally referencing the past when necessary.

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Lothal and Kessel are going to be a huge part of Rebels. I'll hazard a guess both will be in the ST.

10. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Bogged down? It's not like a third of the movie needs to be dedicated to explaining things. Even a short 3 minute scene would be enough.

11. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I'm not terribly interested in the movie stopping everything and explaining what happened in the last 30 years. Any backstory we need to know will be gradually revealed over the course of the film, naturally (If they do their job right, that is, and I believe they will). I would be absolutely shocked if Ep VII doesn't start by JJ throwing us into the middle of some action, where familiar characters are in the midst of some crazy situations we didn't expect, and we'll have to piece together what happened based on what happens next.

12. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I say that we will see four planets in Episode 7

13. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    If that's the case, they better be four NEW planets. I'm not too keen on locations we've seen before. I don't want to see Endor again, or Bespin, or Hoth, or Naboo, or Geonosis, and heaven forbid- Tattooine.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I hope that before every scene that visits a new planet they show us a five part documentary on it's geological background. The appearance of this planet's first creature should be immediately followed by a sixteen episode documentary on the evolution of this planet's species, followed by a lecture, a short break and a discussion. I would also expect to have them hand me a five tome unabridged history of the said planet's civilization, written in it's native language. Of course, this weekend I will enroll in a lengthy course to teach me this language, along with all the intricacies of it's long lingusitic development.

I hope they do a similar thing for every planet.

If they do not, I will be confused and unable to follow the plot.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    that's probably exactly what the EU would do

The Hellhammer likes this.
  16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    And in the EU context, I'll enjoy every single tidbit of information ;)

But the movie will flow quite easily without any more explanation than can be given in a sentence or visually.

Redimet, Rabs and darklordoftech like this.
  17. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I don't think we'll get any planets at all until the end. And that will be one planet. The rest of the movie will be everyone flying around screaming where's Luke!

18. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014
    We'll likely get bits and pieces of backstory scattered across three movies, with standalones and other such things coming down the pipeline.

19. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I think it is a given that we will see Tattooine again but no other planets from the past maybe Corusant.

20. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Agreed. I may have miscommunicated a little but I didn't intend to say that the movie will be a convoluted mess of exposition I just didn't like the argument saying that the ST will have 2 planets maximum cause it will be simple like the OT.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  21. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It will just be Tatooine for the first 1hr 45mins, a scene like this one, with your a fore-mentioned "where's Luke" being screamed by Daisy Ridley.

[​IMG]

The fans who spot Luke first, get a free popcorn/soda at their next viewing.

Redimet and Rabs like this.
  22. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    30 years of lore did not just get swept under the table. You are talking about the EU which was never, ever canon. The 30 years of lore between Episode 6 and 7 has yet to be presented to us.

23. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    He's in the land speeder! Woohoo! Free popcorn, free popcorn, free popcorn! :)

EviL_eLF likes this.
  24. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    It seems like there's a very good chance we'll see Tattoine in the ST, which I think is ridiculous. The desert planet has played a significant role in 4 of the 6 films so far (ANH, ROTJ, TPM, & AOTC), and was even seen at the end of ROTS. Though I understand the need to show the planet from a plot perspetive in these earlier films, I don't see why they need to come back to this in the ST.

The SW universe is vast, and there are a plethora of other planets I'm sure we would rather see than Tattoine.

I wouldn't mind seeing a planet entirely covered in water, and a battle between Jedi & Stormtroopers (in special aquatic outfits) - that would be interesting. Or another arctic planet (the only one we've seen so far is Hoth). The sky is the limit...just no more desert planets...

25. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Coincidence? The will of the Force? Nostalgia? All three?

Iron_lord likes this.