main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Planets in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

It is never stated in the movies or TV shows that all worlds are one evironment planets.

Naboo and Alderaan are meant to be Earth-like, if I recall correctly, and Endor isn't "entirely" a forest as it has lakes (I think) and there are mountains.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Then with any luck Moriband is like a sister planet to Korriban, now that they can just sneak it in there whether Lucas likes it or not. 2 planets in the same system or something. Or Moriband is like a moon or something. Why he would change it in the middle of selling MMO players a product that partially hinges on that particular planet is a little shifty in my opinion.

I'd dig seeing Dathomir. That planet has a cool name.

3. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm hoping for Corellia or Mon Calamari :)

4. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Well if it has to be trashed so be it.

5. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    There are just a few planets described on-screen ( Ep 1-6 ) as having one particular environment:

Coruscant - "[...] the entire planet is one big city"
    Mustafar - "It is a volcanic planet. You will be safe there."
    Endor moon - "[...] for the forest moon of Endor."

There are however many planet descriptions in the scripts themselves. It is interesting that most of these descriptions mostly refer to the color of the planets. So I guess that we can make the connection between that and the environments shown on-screen:

Naboo - "[...] the beautiful green planet of Naboo."
    Kamino - "The huge, ultra-modern city of Tipoca rests on great stilts that keep it above the pounding and ever-present waves that cover the surface of this watery world."
    Geonosis - "Geonosis is a red rock planet, featureless apart from the buttes and mesas, and occasional tall stalagmites that stand out dramatically on the arid plains."
    Utapau - "The BLUE FIGHTER skims over the planet's surface, flat except for a few giant sinkholes."
    Tatooine - "The awesome yellow planet of Tatooine."
    Yavin IV - "[...] into orbit around the planet Yavin and proceeds to one of its tiny green moons."
    Hoth - "One of these probes zooms toward the planet Hoth and lands on its ice- covered surface."
    Dagobah - "The X-wing continues its flight through the twilight above the cloud- covered planet."
    Bespin - "It is down on the gaseous planet."

Maybe I've missed a few descriptions, but the point is that most of the planets in the SW universe have one particular climate or environment. It is possible that Lucas wanted to make each planet unique. There are similarities like Yavin IV - Endor or Geonosis - Tatooine, but even then there are things that set them apart from one another.
    From what I can tell ( and what is shown on-screen ) Naboo is the most diverse planet we see in Episodes 1-6.
    I am not counting planets we see in The Clone Wars or Rebels series ( like Lothal or Moraband ), because making a list would take forever.

6. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Earth from space doesn't look as diverse as it is. And often described as blue, I think.

Yes, the majority of planets in the GFFA that we have seen are single environments, but not all of them - Naboo and Alderaan have land mass and oceans. Endor isn't 100% forest, it has mountain ranges.

Planets in Star Wars can take on any form and aren't restricted to being just trees or forests.

While I'm not discounting the possibility, I'd put money on Mon Cal (or any water world) not appearing in any major way in TFA. In VIII, hopefully, maybe IX.

I hope that we, at very least, get to see* urban environments - not small towns like Mos Eisley, I mean big cities - but I suspect all the action will be on wilderness worlds. * Imperial and Alliance government meetings with their capital city buildings in the background, etc.

I will feel cheated if we, though, if we don't get urban action scenes or a city as the site of a major battle at some point in the trilogy. Star Wars can't be bested by Guardians of the Galaxy ;)

7. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    In my opinion the chase scene on Coruscant in AotC was one of the best scenes of the PT. So yes, I would also like to see some more "urban action".
    Since the EU has gone down the drain, there are however a few urban planets that might make an appearance like Corellia and Nar Shaddaa.
    Corellia is considered canon, although its characteristics are not very well defined, other than the fact that many ships are built there.
    As for Nar Shaddaa there is also hope. Nal Hutta is canon thanks to TCW series, so there is a chance that Nar Shaddaa could also be reintroduced in the new canon.

Andy Wylde and Hoggsquattle like this.
  8. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    the_sinister_hologram

I agree with all of this :)

I've always wanted to see Corellia just based on Han being a Corellian :)

It would be cool if the Alliance or the Empire had established a new capital there and the other capital was Coruscant.

Han living on Corellia, or having to undertake a mission there, could be used to drop little hints at his past without ruining the enigma :)

Or Rey and/or Leia, going on a mission there, after Han dies (IF that does happen and IF Rey is his daughter) could be a nice story.

I want a mix of urbanised and wilderness settings in the Sequels and spinoffs.

If it was up to me I have the trilogies big climactic battle in the streets of, and the sky above, a city. :D

9. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Meant to be. yes. Still, as far as canon goes we only saw one environment on Naboo, Alderaan and Endor.

I know it is a stretch but setting everything on Dathomir would make sense in a way. Why would Rey be hiding? SHe isn't. She may be searching for Luke, who happens to be on the other side of the planet without a facebook account, so finding him proved to be difficult.

Rebel base? Either looking for Geberal Skywalker, or the Empire and the Rebels are at a race to secure the alliance of the Witches.

Bad guys and/or Luke hiding on Dathomir? Who would poke around a planet filled with witches and rancoors?

10. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Nope ;)

In RotJ we see the mountains on Endor.

In the Prequels we see the oceans and landmasses on the approaches to Naboo and Alderaan.

11. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    How about a planet where the entire outside of the planet is volcanic rock or just rock but inhabitable, the aliens that live there live in the center of the planet, and you must fly into the planet until you reach it's core where the aliens live. I know it's kind of far out there, but that would be kind of cool.

Perhaps these aliens even built the first and second Death Star as well.

EDIT: I didn't really think this one through, as they sort of did that with Naboo and the Gungans.
    my bad.

12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    No, there was no one living in the core on Naboo, just that he Jedi has to go that way to get to Theed quicker so your idea still stands ;)

And I wouldn't worry about it being "far out there" - this is Star Wars and anything is possible :D

13. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Another reason why the movies should use dathomir. Quick question: what do Mother Talzin, Savage Opress, Feral, Maul and Asajj Ventress have in common? Answer: All born on Dathomir.

14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Welcome! To Planet Anthrax!

Bennihana likes this.
  15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  16. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    starocean90 likes this.
  17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  18. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Could be interesting to see that if this is Hoth that the same thing might have happened toTatooine.

darklordoftech and starocean90 like this.
  20. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Global warming, or global bombardment after the base fell? Making sure the Alliance wouldn't get any ideas about rebuilding after Vader's fleet left.

21. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    I'll admit it's plausible and would certainly explain the walker but even with the technology available in the GFFA, is it possible to turn Hoth into a desert like planet in 30 to 35 years?

Bennihana and starocean90 like this.
  22. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In the Shadows Of The Empire video game, The Search for Boba Fett chapter was set on one of the moons of Gall, which was a desert environment, just like Tatooine. There was a hidden path that led the player to fight a big bad brown desert wampa [face_hypnotized]

... so for all we know, this TFA planet full of sand and wampa's-made artifacts could be one of the moons of Gall. Maybe it's possible to find white wampas in snow planets and brown wampas in desert planets. Who knows? [face_dunno]

23. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to abilities many consider to be...unnatural."

Maybe? Or perhaps just another super weapon, or an orbital bombardment or some sort of ordnance used to wholly destroy Echo Base just before the fleet fully set off towards the asteroids could've transformed it so drastically... it'd be wacky, whatever caused it, but better Hoth than Tatooine.

Maybe Hoth is on a strange orbit that has it fluctuating between hot & cold edges of the "Goldilocks zone" of the system? So it takes decades to complete a circuit around the sun, giving it seasons akin to Westeros with long summers, long winters... so it'd be a wholly natural, recurring process. The Alliance founded a base there in the heart of winter, but settlements spring up during the summer desert months; different flora & fauna thrive in those years, etc. Some crazy cycle.

24. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    You know i only made a joke about a climate controlling super weapon the other day when in the Hasbro product release they listed "Star Wars 7 Figures Snow Desert" :p

Hoth, Tatooine. I don't care. I want me a cliff wampa!

25. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    I'd forgotten about the "Goldilocks zone", thank you for reminding me.

Toonimator and starocean90 like this.