main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Planets in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Aug 20, 2013.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Luckily, one does not exclude the other. An existing basis for weird digital flora and fauna could give us very nice results.

2. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Sure. I'm open to that. I just don't have enough faith in the current state of visual effects to think that it will look as convincing as an actual landscape. There have been some real advances in CGI. But CGI environments continue to look artificial to me.

3. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I also would expect the fauna to be much different on an extraterrestrial planet.

Would expect it to be just as alien as the aliens themselves.

4. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I also expect that, Wildcat. But frankly, Star Wars is not science fiction. IMO, it works best when it echoes the mythologies, the archetypes and the places of Earth. And that means a possibly unrealistic profusion of Earth-like planets. IMO.

And until CGI and studio environments become just as convincing as natural environments, I'd rather keep them to a minimum.

5. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Using a little can go a long way... taking an Earthly environment and altering the colors, and/or adding a bit of alien flora & fauna can work very effectively.

6. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I thought the planet in the opening of STID wasn't bad, in that respect, though it still seems too exotic for Star Wars.

7. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    So Jason's (MakingStarWars) take on the planets we'll see is:

Sand Planet (Abu Dhabi)
    Tree Planet (Puzzlewood; Rose's pub seems to be here)
    Rebel base location (Greenham Common)
    Scandinavian Snow Planet (Shot at (and around?) Pinewood; Evil Castle and Ren duel occurs here)
    Island Planet (Skellig Michael; where Luke seems to be holed up)

So five planets in all, looks like. Source: http://makingstarwars.net/2015/02/t...gh-the-galaxy-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

My question is: where are the X-wings skimming across the water? This location seems similar to Skellig, where the only scene is apparently the final one in the film.

8. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    There was that exotic city MSW mentions that is located near water. Wonder what planet that's on. He also mentions a gigantic freighter the Falcon visits. Which is news to me. I thought the Falcon visits an asteroid or something.

TK327 likes this.
  9. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I'm guessing Rose's pub is in or near the city? Apparently it's attacked. Perhaps the X-wings show up to help fend off the invasion?

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I love the planet Fiddanl from WEG. It has mercury oceans and rapid continental drift.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    So is there anything that definitely rules out the snow planet as Stygeon Prime and the Evil Castle as The Spire?

12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Aside from the Evil Castle being on a lake and the ground station for the superweapon with the Spire being a prison high up in snow covered mountains?

13. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I thought Jason recently said the castle and the snowy forest were near to one another. So I assumed the castle would be in a snowy locale. Also, Roger Moore mentioned mountains and snow after his set visit.

So are we to have a desert planet that's not Tatooine and a snow planet that's neither Hoth nor Stygeon?

14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I get the impression that the snow planet is more 'Bavaria in Winter' than anything else.

15. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I agree that that's certainly the impression one gets from the teaser. Admittedly Stygeon seems more like the high Alps than the Black Forest.

Edit:

I wonder if Neuschwanstein was the inspiration for the evil castle. It was for the Disney castle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Okay, I have been sitting on this news for a while and I finally got the go ahead from my source (who IS a real person, I swear, honest to God) to make it public.

The super weapon,"Uber" and the planet where Luke is in exile are all the same thing.

Meet ...

.... Ego the living planet

[​IMG]

... With exception of Leia's visit to the Hutts and the scenes set in space, this is the only planet in TFA. The desert planet, snowy forest, Skellig, and the lake from the teaser are all on Ego (played by Andy Serkis), who alters his terrain to prevent the heroes from rescuing Luke. The entire plot is the rescue mission, and when Ego uses his psionic to destroy the Alliance fleet, Leia is forced to turn to the Hutts for help as Ego cuts a path of destruction through Imperial space towards the Alliance capital. In the final battle, Luke, Leia and Rey use the Force to tear a hole in space-time and Ego falls through it into the Marvel Cinematc Universe.

This all 100% true. I can prove it.[face_mischief]

17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

here is the catapult [face_dancing]
    [​IMG]

- finally the origin of Galactus is revealed. Now who is playing the 'Silver Surver'? [face_dancing]
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 and Hoggsquattle like this.
  18. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    nightangel

You could be onto something there - I have been hearing whispers that
    Paramount and Disney what to do a crossover between Transformers and Marvel.

Unicron being the love child of Ego and Galactus, and thereby the craters of the Transformers, is sooo obvious it, it is crazy that we missed it before.

Optimus Prime's journey (begun at the end of the last movie) will obviously bring him to both the GFFA and MCU on his quest to find his "grandfathers".

I uspect that Adam Driver's Kylo Ren will become the new Silver Surfer, allowing Fox in on the crossover party too.

I mean, who among us isn't weak at the knees at the thoughts of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine joining not only the Avengers, but the Jedi Knights. Snikt!!!

[​IMG]

nightangel likes this.
  19. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I don't have a frame of reference for this (the thread used to be sticky-ed at the top of the SA forums page) but early on during production for TFA there was a photo that everyone was poring over that showed the Falcon flying relatively high over the landscape of a planet with what appeared to be canyons and water below it (that's how I remember it anyway; could be wrong). The photo had been in the background on like a clipboard or something behind some of the crew who were at a table.

Anyways, my question is was that a real photo that was supposed to be from the film or was that concept art? I just recall it being an official pic is all, and it looked like it was a snippet of CGI-rendering from the graphics, but I haven't spotted rumors pertaining to it since so... yeah, just wondering.

20. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    It was concept art - it was revealed very very early. They wouldn't have had any effects shots finished at that point.

21. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Ah... ok. Like I said it'd been awhile since I'd seen it, but from what I remember it was very naturalistic looking, so I'd assumed it was more than concept art. Thank you for apprising me of that though.

22. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    As a must I expect : Coruscant and Tatooine .
    Maybe :Korriban \ Moraband .
    Definitely NOT : Hoth .

Andy Wylde and darklordoftech like this.
  23. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I don't expect Hoth. But I wouldn't object, either. The scenes on Hoth are some of the most visually impressive across all 6 films, IMO.

24. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

One of the things that will limit reappearances is the state of the world. The Finse glacier is all melty, I hear. And the differences people are noting between Tatooine and Mystery Desert Planet could simply be the result of not being able to film in Tunisia anymore.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm hoping with Celebration they will announce what some of the planets are.
    it would be nice to have a name to the desert planet and to be able to call by it's name.:)

Wildcatbarry likes this.