main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Planets in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Aug 20, 2013.

1. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
  2. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    So, since we are returning to the roots of SW, I guess we will not see Coruscant again?

3. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I wouldn't be surprised if we do but perhaps not in TFA. I'd applaud them if they have all original planets seen in TFA with a few mentions or brief projections of pre-established ones. :)

5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That is directly from the roots of Star Wars.

I would think that not only will we see it in the ST at some point but certainly in the anthologies as well.

As the central planet of the galaxy it's kind of important.

6. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Coruscant might show up in some of the Anthology films, but maybe not in the current trilogy.

7. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    No, if anything, it`s one of the biggest symbols of the PT and its´ "overreliance" on CGI. A massive CGI city would not fit into the OT style, and I really don`t believe they would do it, now that they have made such a big deal out of returning to practical effects and the "OT feel".

8. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Actually I thought the SE Mos Eisley expanse scene was really cool for CGI.

Rabs likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They could realize parts of Coruscant in much the same manner as the city that Khan attacked in ST:ID. What percentage of that was practical, I have no idea. But, it certainly met JJ's standards.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  10. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    That's not a good reason to not return to it.

my kind of scum likes this.
  11. mfastx

mfastx Jedi Knight star 1

May 2, 2015
    I'd love to see Coruscant again, hopefully it'll show up in IX at least.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  12. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Coruscant was one of the best CGI shots in the PT. And just because they said that they would return to practical effects doesn't mean they don't use CGI at all. We already saw in the teasers that TFA has CGI shots, and by the way, most of the effects in the Prequels were also practical (the Prequels had much more blue- and green-screen, but most of the backgrounds were miniatures and such, not CGI).
    And I don't think that they would stay away from Coruscant only to satisfy PT/CGI haters. It may not appear in TFA, but with Rian Johnson as director for Episode VIII, who openly admitted that there was indeed beautiful stuff in the Prequels, it is entirely possible that Coruscant appears in his films.

13. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I really hope Coruscant is in Episode VI, even if just slightly. It is a really cool planet to me and looked awesome in the PT. It would be nice to have a mix of an extremely urbanized planet like Coruscant as well as the other, more bare and less settled planets.

So we have Jakku, Yavin, an Earth-like snowy planet. And wasn't there a rumor that Wicket would make an appearance? So maybe Endor too.

Andy Wylde and darklordoftech like this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

All-CG except for some of the rig Spock and Khaaaann were on as well as some of the immediate buildings they were running through.

Other than that, CG CG CG!

Qui-Riv-Brid and thejeditraitor like this.
  15. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Just because the OT didn't have a City Planet, doesn't mean one didn't exist. GL could only fit so many Planets in the 3 movies of the OT. Also, GL was always about pushing technology in movies; he would have used CGI if the technology was available during the OT. Besides, we are talking about a whole Galaxy out there. It doesn't make sense to limit the type of Planets in future Star Wars movies to barren outposts, or copies of the OT planets, just because they did not appear in the OT. That would be boring, and would be like saying that there should not be a Snow Planet in TESB, because there was only a Desert Planet in ANH.

If Coruscant isn't in Episode VII because it doesn't fit J.J.'s desire for an ANH redo, then fine, but I would like to see it in VIII and IX. I bet that we will see Coruscant in future Stand Alone movies at least.

16. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Not all of Coruscant was CG... there was a lot of matte painting work, and even models.

Andy Wylde and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Are matte paintings still a thing in movies?

18. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I bet we see Coruscant in the last episode once the first Order has been defeated. We'll get some sort of shot of the Galactic Senate and Jedi Temple. Might even see the Jedi Temple before that actually. I'm still hoping we get to see Dantooine at some point.

19. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Yes, but they are done digitally, instead of painted by hand. :)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Dang, I prefer hand.

21. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Similar to the ending of ROTJ SE edition. Getting that triumphant victory where our hero's defeat a great evil.

Baron_Papanerd and Rabs like this.
  22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As you point out though with your air quotes the "overreliance" on CGI is total nonsense because for that extremely small group of fans who are a mere fraction of the actual audience everything is "All CGI" to them no matter whether it's CGI or not.

That Coruscant was a mass of practical effects means nothing to them either way because they don't believe it or just deny it.

Besides that the new movies will sooner or later chase those fans away anyway. I don't know what they think JJ did on the Trek movies but that will be nothing compared to what he is going to do on TFA.

23. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    There will be CGI everywhere in the ST.

Baron_Papanerd and Darth_Voider like this.
  24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

They haven't been done by hand since the early to mid 90s, depending on the vfx facility. ILM went all digital in the early 90s.

Andy Wylde and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I thought it was a good idea, too. And at the time (and for some time afterward), I was impressed with the look. But now, if I'm to be honest, that shot with the bickering droids and the landspeeder just looks dated to me.

If Lucasfilm is going to keep GL's blu ray versions as the canonical viewing experience (and by all accounts, it seems they will), I'd almost sooner they redo some of these sequences. But I'm so ambivalent about a lot of those changes. I mean, I'm definitely in favor of a full redo of the OT sabers and blaster shots, as I love the thought of some uniformity across the Saga, there (and God knows I'd like to see Vader exchange his pretty little pink lightsaber for a proper red blade). And I enjoyed some of the other SE changes (the enhanced Battle of Yavin springs immediately to mind).

But then there were things such as the whole Han/Greedo 'controversy' (which just got to a point where it seemed silly and not worth the trouble). And the sacrifice of my beloved sleaze rock of "Lapti Nek" (a perfect 'strip club in space' sequence), in favor of, well, whatever you want to call that "Jedi Rocks" performance. But even if I didn't love all of the changes, I was still with George. It wasn't until Mr. Lucas decided to add Vader's "No. Nooooo!" to what was, for my money, an already absolutely perfect climax to the throne room scene, that he just lost me.

So, in the end -- whether it's the canonical version, or not -- I desperately want to see a fully restored, hi-definition version of the OOT films released in a nice blu ray package. After all of the years and all of the changes (some wonderful, some less so), I think it's the original theatrical versions I grew up with that I'd enjoy watching most of all.

-------------------------

But now I see that I've gone waaay off-topic. Sorry about that. [face_blush]

Um, 'planets in the ST,' right?

- Well, I'd really love to see Corellia, myself.

- And I think a return to Coruscant is absolutely, 100% in order at some point before the end of the trilogy. It seems to make sense.

- Finally, I really, really want to see Episode IX end with Luke Skywalker walking-off into the binary sunsets, so I guess that means I hope to see Tatooine again, as well. :)