main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Planets in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Probably not Dagobah. It didn't look like a thick swampland. Based on Weapon of the Jedi I'd say it's Devaron.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Oh okay... Never heard of it. I do wonder though, how many new planets are they introducing in this film??

3. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Well Devaron isn't really new. Sort of. We had Devaronians in ANH. Good question though. It seems we will get at least 4-5 planets and all of them will be new. At least in name if not vegetation.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    Actually thinking about TOR I would also love to see Tython...I loved being there.

[​IMG]

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    devoran was in tcw.

Devaron - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki - Wikia

[​IMG]

GMGalenMarek and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  6. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    I really want to know which among these worlds in the new canon map are held by the First Order, which belong to the Republic, which among them are independent and which among them are in dispute...

[​IMG]

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Wow that's beautiful.

8. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Don't know if it was mentioned or not, but the map we have seen, the one that recanonized Rakata Prime, was made for the TFA visual dictionary.
    Now there is a red outline over the nameplates of planets that will actually appear (like Jakku or Takodana) which Rakata Prime lacks. But still, would the VD place a fan favorite planet on the galaxy map if it is not mentioned at all in the movie, or at the very least doesn't tie into the backstory? (Like how Vjun was mentioned in the AOTC dictionary cause that's where Dooku's boots were made.)
    I don't think so.

9. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Looks like Episode VIII is filming in Mexico.

I wonder what regions they're looking at, terrain-wise. Yet another desert planet would be a bit baffling, but at least they could do more of a cactus-type desert which we haven't really seen in Star Wars before. I'd prefer something more tropical, or better yet, something with caves, especially if the next episode borrows from ESB's monster-in-the-cave motif, which is a great metaphor for facing one's own dark side... Cave planet, please! [face_praying]

10. mfastx

mfastx Jedi Knight star 1

May 2, 2015
    Also says most of it will be at Pinewood, so probably lots of CGI. Maybe Coruscant?

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    That is disappointing news, if accurate. The look of TFA benefits enormously from location shooting, and I hope Ep VIII is going to have much more than a few landscape shots on location. We do, however, know that Rian has shot on Skellig, in Kerry, and now in Mexico, so we at least have some.

I remember the sinking feeling I had when Peter Jackson declared that he would do a lot more studio shooting for the Hobbit films. That decision hurt the looks of those films considerably, IMO. I hope Johnson (and Trevorrow) don't rely too heavily on the soundstage.

12. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    TFA was mostly shot in studio too..they spent about 4 months at pinewood and 1 month outdoor or so. and shooting in the studio doent mean CGI all over. there could be luxurious studio sets being built right now...think dagobah or some " practical city" in the sky...

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Right, but one month of location shooting out of five is quite a bit. Kennedy's comments seem to imply less than that, though who knows at this point.

As for Dagobah, it's the one artistic choice in ESB that I disagreed with.

I loved Bespin, though of course, there are a lot of real clouds that sell it.

In any event, I hope this has to do more with locations being either space-based or non-terrestrial like Bespin, as I've never seen a faux-ecology that looks convincing.

14. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    S
    I rewatched TESB last night with my wife and we fell in love again with all the dagobah scenes, really powerful stuff both visually and narratively. To us it looked gorgeous and dream-like, it has that dark 80s fantasy vibe we love..so as far as im concerned yes more of that please mr johnson! I can understand its not your cup of tea though...we still dont know how much exactly rian johnson will shoot in location and in the studio, but ill be very very surprised if he's going all CGI. whatever he has in store for us im sure it will look great, i dont have any worry about it.

as for the studio sets: as you said it might be more non-terrestrial environments, ships, cities etc...and this would be great because that would set it apart from TFA. episode 7 features a lot of outside locations, wild environments, episode 8 could focus on more claustrophobic stuff and cities..

15. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    After being there last summer, I'm dying to see how they have put Skellig in the Star Wars world. It's going to be a day long remembered.

16. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Mexico, huh? Well could be Dathomir. Or Moraband perhaps.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  17. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    The Old West

THIS!

18. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Okay, thanks to the leaks we know that the Kanjiklub Gang got its name from Nar Kanji a Hutt planet. Odd that it isn't shown on the VD map.

19. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    And we can add Malachor to the mix. JJ reeeealy seem to like Kotor.

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    You mean for the Mexico filming?

21. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

I doubt that. Malachor is a green wasteland with toxic holes. But Kylo's leaked VD entry mentioned that crossguard sabers were popular during the Great Scourge of Malachor.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Thanks for clarifying. That has interesting implications.

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  23. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

It sure does. Regardless of how the movie will turn up, the new background lore is all kinds of awesome.

24. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Yay more deserts awesome.

I hope I'm wrong.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012