main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Planets in the Star Wars Universe

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JFuchs77, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFuchs77

JFuchs77 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Which planet do you think is the most important in the whole Star Wars universe?

In my opinion, I would have to say Tatooine.

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Why would you say Tatooine?

3. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    Either Coruscant or Tatooine.

Probably Tatooine because it is where Anakin was found and it is where Luke grew up without the Emperor discovering him.

Sccrman95

4. JFuchs77

Mar 5, 2006
    I say Tatooine because that planet was in most of the movies and Tatooine is where so many of the major events in the Star Wars universe took place.

Where Anakin was discovered.

Where Anakin's mother, Shmi, died.

Where Obi-Wan watched over Luke.

Where Luke lived for 18 years until the year of the Battle of Yavin.

Where Luke and Leia saved Han Solo.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    tatooine has the greatest symbolism in all the films I think. Deserts are places used in mythology as places of spiritual journeys, both Luke and Anakin begin their journeys from Tatooine. Also, though Tatooine is a bright world reflecting the twin suns which symbolize the being of light that is Luke, it also has a darkside we see represented by the Sand People, and the underworld of Mos Eisley, which in turns symbolizes the light and dark aspects of Luke and Anakin.

6. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Mustafar is the most important planet in the GFFA...and it's very strong in the darkside of the force now I'll bet. Best planet ever because of the awesome Anakin/Obi Wan duel.

7. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    The central planet of the Saga is unquestionably Tatooine. However the planet that has the biggest impact for me is Mustafar. The site of good vs. evil, Obi-Wan vs. Anakin, best friend vs. best friend, betrayal, and ultimately the symbolism for the creation of evil.

8. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Coruscant.
    Without it, nothing else matters.

9. JFuchs77

Mar 5, 2006
    One reason that I say Tatooine, other than that was the home of Luke Skywalker who was my favorite character in the original trilogy, is because out of all the other planets in the Star Wars universe, Tatooine has been seen in every movie except for The Empire Strikes Back.

10. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    You raise a good point. Without Coruscant - No senate for Palpatine to take over.

Without Coruscant - No central government area for the Empire to operate out of.

Without Coruscant - The Jedi Temple would be far removed from the bulk of civilization.

Carnage

11. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    While Coruscant in many ways is the most important planet in the SW universe I would say Tatooine. Because Tatooine is where a lot of things happen that later determines the fate of the galaxy:

- The Chosen One is born and discovered there.
    - This is were the Sith reveal themselves for the first time (Maul vs Qui-Gon).
    - Anakin has his first encounter with the Dark side here (Tusken slaughter).
    - Luke Skywalker grows up here.

12. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    I'm gonna have to say Naboo it's the planet that started it all. The blockade the trip to Tatooine. The discovery of the chosen one. The place where Padme falls in love with her Jedi Protector. It's all down hill from there.

13. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    I respect your unique answer and defense of it, but I am still going to have to disagree. If it wasn't Naboo that TF blockaded it would have been somewhere else. Anakin Skywalker would not have been kept a secret forever...he was far too talented for that. If he was found by Sids, he would have taken him and twisted him. If he were found by the Jedi, he would have been trained (Or rejected, at which point Sidious would have gotten ahold of him.) He had such an attachment issue that he eventually would have fallen in love with some woman. Since Padme was not force sensitive, it is likely that Anakin having children with anyone would have resulted in force sensitive kids. Sidious would be sure to find a way to manipulate him no matter what.

Carnage

14. JFuchs77

Mar 5, 2006
    Clearly we can see Tatooine was in most of the movies and Tatooine in my opinion has gotta be the number 1 most important planet.

15. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Coruscant is vital for the prequels. That and Tatooine are obviously locations central to the overall story.
    Does Tatooine seem like a "re-grouping" planet to anyone?
    Naboo is fairly important, but it isn't in AOTC and ROTS much.

16. JFuchs77

Mar 5, 2006
    Coruscant may have been seen a lot in the prequels but my mind is made up. As the starter of this topic, I have to say the most important planet in the whole Saga of Star Wars has to be Tatooine.

17. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Surely The Senate, and other forms of parliament, would've just found another planet to centralize their agenda. If it isn't on Coruscant, it just would've been somewhere else.

18. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree with 506 on this issue. Mustafar was the Exodus of the prequels in many ways.

19. JFuchs77

Mar 5, 2006
    I still say Tatooine

20. TH421

TH421 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 22, 2004
    Tattooine - and that is one of the ironies of the GFFA. in ANH, when Threepio (who was built on Tattooine, remember!) asks where they are, Luke replies, "If there is a bright center to the Galaxy, you are on the planet it is farthest from." It seems like nowhere... but it ends up being the hidden fulcrum on which the saga turns.

21. JFuchs77

Mar 5, 2006
    But Revenge of the Sith explains everything like C-3PO had his memory wiped to keep safe the hiding places of Luke and Leia. That's why when he is on Tatooine in A New Hope he does not remember the planet.

22. durty_mynock

durty_mynock Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2005
    I don't think there is a planet more important than another inthe whole saga. I think we should think of the saga (for this point at last) as two trilogies: I would say Coruscant is the most important planet of the PT, since it's the political center if the Republic. But for the OT, I don't know...maybe the Death Star (I and II)...

23. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    As a prefatory note, I think this question is almost impossible to answer.

That being said, I believe Alderaan is the most important planet in the entire saga. There are several reasons why:

1. It is the home planet of Bail Organa, a central figure in the concealment of the Jedi Masters Kenobi and Yoda. Also, his family exerts extreme influence throughout the galaxy prior to the rise of the Empire and, apparently, this influence continues to exist after the creation of the Empire as well.

2. It is the adopted planet for Leia. It is here that she learns the ins and outs of high society. She learns the tricks of diplomacy and is indoctrinated with sympathetic feelings for freedom akin to her mother's feelings and political beliefs. On Alderaan she is secluded from the scouring eyes of the Emperor and Vader, and her seclusion is accomplished in plain sight. That is a significant accomplishment for all. She is given every chance to become a strong leader as a result of her time on Alderaan and she uses her time well. Without her time on Alderaan, she might not have become the strong leader we know her to be.

3. The destruction of Alderaan played a critical role in getting Leia and Luke together. Had Alderaan not been destroyed when it was, perhaps Obi-Wan and Luke would have been planet side when the Death Star entered the atmosphere. We'd have a starkly different storyline as a result. However, the destruction of the planet allowed Obi-Wan to teach Luke a powerful lesson about the Force. He was greatly affected by its destruction and told Luke what he felt. Luke learned from Obi-Wan's outward example that the Force really can convey thoughts and feelings across time and space. This lesson was employed by Luke as he dangled from a weathervane on Cloud City. The destruction of the planet Alderaan also solidifed Leia's resolve to destroy the Empire. From the point of its destruction onward she became a warrior princess, involved in the fights and not just as passive ruler/observer.

24. JFuchs77

Mar 5, 2006
    But we never saw much of Alderaan. Tatooine is more likely the most important planet because there is really so much more that we know about only Tatooine more than any planet in the whole Star Wars universe and so many major events in the Star Wars universe took place there.

25. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Just because we don't see Alderaan does not mean that its role in the saga is any less important than the planets we do see. Considering the events that transpired on Alderaan and regarding Alderaan, I'd say it has a vital, if not central, role in the development of the characters and their actions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.