main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Planets/Worlds Of The ST Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth JarJar, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What about such a planet?
    They could name it Gulag
    [​IMG]

Wildcatbarry and Mostly Handless like this.
  2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Star Wars Gulag is not a bad idea. Minus Soviet architecture of course. But the idea is interesting.

Wildcatbarry and Mostly Handless like this.
  3. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    We had no ugly depressing planet yet. (Where people are living -> Dagobah excluded)

4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Dagobah was ugly and depressing? I suppose, if one finds prehistoric swampy rainforests depressing.

Anyway, we got Wobani (the Imperian prison from RO) which was essentially a gulag. And the Ring of Kafrene seemed like a pretty depressing city.

5. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    There are not a lot of places in the GFFA (so far) that I would consider moving to. Most of the Cities are too crowded and cramped and all the rest are desert watering holes.

Except Theed, Theed is OK.

6. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    I meant a depressing planet with a city like Coruscant but ugly with poor people.

7. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Yep, those frozen waste-lands suggest a certain degree of hopelessness.

The ruggedness of Ach-to has really grown on me, it feels isolated, yet very spiritual at the same time.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Moor city of Ronda, Spain. The plateau location reminds me of the Holy City of Jedha, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of these types of environments in Star Wars.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm curious to see what Canto Bight will look like once Dubrovnik has been CG'd into an appropriate State of Star Warsiness. When the first images of the city leaked I saw a lot of people saying it reminded them of Naboo, so I'm curious to compare the two.

Crait looks awesome though.[face_dancing] Defiantly one of the trippier, more alien environments we've had.
    [​IMG]

BenYodaDagobah and Satipo like this.
  8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    The Ring of Kafrene seems to match that description. Though we spent very little time there, of course.

Darth Smurf and Mostly Handless like this.
  9. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Wouldn't mind seeing some more Moorish or Middle Eastern architecture in the GFFA either. Perhaps it would be suitable for a wealthy planet in the inner-mid rim?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Darth Smurf

Dec 22, 2015
    Good point.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  11. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    So, what planets do we know of so far in Episode 8? Ach-To and Crait...What planet is the space battle over at the end of the trailer? Looks an awful lot like D'Qar.

12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Ahch-to
    Crait
    Canto Bight
    Likely D'Qar (I also think that's where the space battle is taking place - as the Resistance tries to flee)

13. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Better get Godzilla insurance.

[​IMG]

14. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Mostly Handless That's my favorite architecture. They filmed Naboo in Spain, Plaza de Espania in Seville, but, yeah, Spain has way better.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  15. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Do you think Dern's fleet arrives that early in the movie?

16. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Right now, I'm on board with the idea that those are resistance transports trying to leave D'Qar. Perhaps, unlike the Hoth escape, the battle will mostly be in space.

The color of the planet is a perfect march for D'Qar, and as visual effects are probably still being worked on, it wouldn't be a stretch to suggest that the ring hasn't been added yet (or it was removed to keep things ambiguous as to location).

I'd guess what's left of these ships will meet up with Dern's fleet sometime later?

Edit: It was odd that the ring never appeared in the sky at the resistance base. Would have been a relatively simple thing to do to enhance the otherworldly feel of D'Qar.

17. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    The ships seen above the green planet in the teaser match the MSW description of the ones under the control of Laura Dern's character, who is apparently named Admiral Holdo in the movie. I think you might be correct about the planet in that shot being D'Qar, the only other location I can think of that could appear to be green from space is Canto Bight.

18. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    based on all that,I think that some time jump is required. The movie picks up right where it left off, Luke/Rey stare-off, but there's going to be significant passage of time after that, at any point, not just all events compressed in 2 days like TFA. They are coving grounds that require longer time span to make sense.

19. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Except they are not transports but some type of Gunship/Bomber. They also match the description of the 'Honey Droppers' which face off against Snoke's Megadestroyer. Additionally we are led to believe (through the new EU, etc.) that apart from a couple of dozen X-Wings the Resistance only has a few Transports. I would hazard a guess that this is not the Evacuation of D'Qar but the final space battle given the presence of A-Wings and these new Republic ships. The planet they are above would then be an unknown at this point.

TK327 likes this.
  20. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    My thoughts are based entirely on the color palette of the planet matching D'Qar. Agree that other rumors don't fit with this interpretation.

21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I just got home from seeing GOTG2...and whilst I am not a fan of their over the top cgi planets there was 1 that I thought looked amazing, and I hope the ST gets something similar. It is a Hoth style snow planet but with neon lights everywhere. Looked like Hoth if it were set in the world of Blade Runner! :cool: Best non SW planet I've seen in a film in years... The Dubrovnik street set looked similar minus the snow.

Edit - It was called Contraxia

22. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    So far we've only heard of 3 planets: Crait, Ahch-To and Canto Bight. Is it possible RJ chose a minimalist approach and decided to go back to the OT and TPM's use of few planets? Since AOTC there's at least 5 or 6 worlds in each movie. Last year Rogue One was a real galactic tour. Mabye RJ wanted his film to be more focused and only features those 3 planets. And it seems a lot of screentime will be spent in space, aboard big spaceships, which might explain that too.

What do you guys think? Should we have heard rumour of other locations by now, new worlds? Or is it just that there's no leak about them yet. Would you mind if the 4 locations of TLJ are exclusively the 3 planets and lots of space? (not counting force visions and/or short scenes a la hosnian prime)

23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah I don't mind...infact I actually prefer the 3 planets a film scenario. Also - They will run out of ideas as there are only so many different environments available (without resorting to creating them in a CPU ugh) if they keep up the TFA & RO level of locations.

I loved RO but besides Scarif and Jedha I never felt we got time to really settle in and enjoy the great planets/locations (Tatooine and Endor were probably pushing it in the OT)

24. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Avnar i loved how R1 was making us dizzy with all these new worlds, even if we didnt spend much time on them they felt like real worlds to me. But for TLJ it could be intresting to have something more focused indeed. A 4th planet would be nice maybe...but in the end if the story is great it doesnt matter how many new planets we have. Im just very curious :)

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  25. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

Then there's the Iceland planet. Though I don't know if the Iceland locations are part of Ahch-To or Crait, or a new planet.

Also, I thought somebody said there was a forest planet in the shareholders' footage?