main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Planets

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by xoliver, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xoliver

xoliver Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2001
    Does anyone have additions or corrections for this list of George Lucas-created planets? (It's possible that Lucas named more of the species homeworlds, for instance.)

Seen: Alderaan, Bespin, Coruscant, Dagobah, Endor, Geonosis, Hoth, Kamino, Kashyyyk, Naboo, Tatooine, Yavin 4

Dialog and screenplays: Anoat system, Ansion, Bogden, Corellia, Dantooine, Glee Anselm, Hok, Iego, Kessel, Malastare, Neimoidia, Ord Mantell, Rishi Maze, Shadda-Bi-Boran, Subterrel, Sullust, Taanab, Tund system

Backstory: Iseno, Rothana, Sermeria, Uyter

Names from drafts (selected): Aquilae/Aquilea, Chuba, Granicus, Kamar, Ketbrae, New Cov, Ondos, Ophuchi, Ord Padrove, Townowi, Umboo, Utapau

2. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    The Lando System. :p

Seriously, though:

For drafts, Had Abbadon and Ogana Major. Katbrae was Kettlebrae for a while.

For dialog, Moonus Mandel.

"Mon Calamari" as a species name was Lucas-created (according to the OS, actually Phil Tippet-created), but I'm not sure about the decision to make that the planet name as well.

In a similar category, while Toydarians are named, and the logical conclusion is that a Toydarian comes from Toydaria, the latter is never actually mentioned.

3. xoliver

Aug 3, 2001
    Thanks. We could add (mostly from CUSWE) --

Novelizations: Commenor, Darellia, Fornax, Gargon, Makem Te, Norulac, Pesmenben IV, Triton

Radio dramatizations: Allyuen, Bajic, Derra IV, Ralltiir, Tokmia, Toprawa

Wish we could see Episode I and II drafts.

4. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    We never actually see Endor though, only the Forrest Moon of Endor. >p Not to nit pick or anything.

5. xoliver

Aug 3, 2001
    Maybe, but the Episode VI screenplay mentions 'the nearby forest moon of Endor' and then calls it either just 'Endor' or 'the forest moon'. Is it that Endor *is* the forest moon, with Endor being a gas giant an EU rationalization? What does the cartoon series say?

6. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    Do the Clone Wars planets (cartoons and comics) count?
    Then you'd add Ilum, Muunilinst, Rattatak, Hypori (tv)

Jabiim, Raxus Prime, Haruun Kal, Tibri, Brental IV, Mon Calamari, Thustra, Nivek (comics).
    And what about the games' worlds (like Korriban)?
    By the way, maybe try and check OS databank - by category: planets.

And of course there is some new stuff in ROTS. :)

7. xoliver

Aug 3, 2001
    Listing the thousands of EU planets is a task for someone other than me, especially since the Lucas Licensing Holocron and CUSWE have theoretically already done it. What I have here is a little more manageable. The Clone Wars micro-series is its own case: it's EU, but its position is really unique.

What could be added is the planets created by Ben Burtt, who's closer to Lucas than just about anyone: Biitu, Manda, Roon, etc.

8. skywalker591

skywalker591 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2004
    I know somewhere they mention thyferra, not sure if it counts. Its in the Rogue Squadron Books. There are a few others in there too.

9. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Twi-leks are from Ryloth. In the begining of episode two, one of the council members mentions that Obi-wan and Anakin have just gotten back from Ansion, so thats dialogue.

10. xoliver

Aug 3, 2001
    Thyferra is one of the many, many EU worlds. (I'm not demeaning or, alternately, pushing the EU, in case anyone was going to think that.) Ansion is definitely movie-canonical and is in my list.

Ryloth is in an interesting category. As the starwars.com Databank says, 'Though the names "Twi'lek" and "Ryloth" did not appear until well after Return of the Jedi (it was coined for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game in the late 1980s), it was used in Art Department and Production notes in the making of Episodes I and II.', and hence it's named in the Movies section of the Databank. So despite not being GL's coinage, it probably belongs in the 'backstory' list, or maybe a separate category? There are lots of species homeworlds that obviously exist, most of their names are EU but some may be George's or otherwise used in the movie production, and even when they're not they will never get another name than they have now.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the unused draft named given to a planet in Episode III.

11. xoliver

Aug 3, 2001
    From the Databank, it looks like Ando, Ithor, Mon Calamari, Rodia, and Ryloth are all used in production and listed under Movies.

12. xoliver

Aug 3, 2001
    We might (as the EU has) obtain Nubia from the 'Nubian' references in Episode I.

Hey, feel free to discuss other aspects of Star Wars planets on this thread.

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    "What's a Nubian?"

14. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Nubian is the name for someone from Naboo

The Nubian N-1 is the fighter from Episode I as well, I believe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.