Resource Planets

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by jedi1952, Apr 23, 2014.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. jedi1952 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Hi, I have been looking around for information regarding planets in the GFFA.

What I am looking for is a planet (or moon) in the Outer Rim or beyond that has fertile farm land butting up against desert.

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I don't know any off the top of my head that match that description, but I'm not good at remembering such things either. I find the SW RPG core rule book or the Essential Guide to Planets to be excellent for such things but then copies I used belonged to an ex so I don't have access to them any more. Now I use Wookieepedia many a times to find planets, which I don't think is as easy but it gets the job done.

HERE is a list of the Outer Rim Planets, but if that doesn't work for you or you can't find what you want, you can always do the old fanfic special.... make it up! :)
  3. jedi1952 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Thanks Mav, I did see that on Wookieepedia and do have it book marked. I have copies of some of the Essential Guides, but not that one. And Geek that I am I also own The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia. It is just so much to plow through. I think for now I will take your suggestion and just make up a planet since I already have in mind many of its characteristics and governing structure. Maybe I will get lucky and stumble across one. [face_whistling]
  4. Sokolniki Jedi Master

star 1
    If you need any help with details for a planet, I can imagine up some things for you to form a rough basis on. I've got plenty of practice on it through other ventures along with work I've been doing for my own fanfic here on the boards.
  5. jedi1952 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Thanks Sokolniki, I appreciate the offer. If I run into a block I sure will contact you. :)
  6. Sokolniki Jedi Master

star 1
    To change the topic a little, is there any catalogue of fan created planets that the creators have okay'd for use by other fanfic writers?
  7. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    If you read something and want to use something that another fanfic author created, you should PM them and ask, but there isn't a database for such things that I'm aware of, there isn't on here for sure.
  8. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 5
    Maybe we should create a database, or at least a thread, for planets and other things that are fan created and their creators don't have any problem other using. A bit like Lovecraft's literary/letter circle.
  9. Findswoman Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'd be game for that. Just for entire fan-created planets, or also for fan-established details about existing (!) planets?

EDIT: Actually, wait, doesn't the SW Fanon Wiki have aspects of that already? @Goodwood, @TrakNar, do either of you know?
    Last edited by Findswoman, May 9, 2014
  10. Goodwood Force Ghost

star 4
    @Findswoman: The Fanon Wiki has many fan-created planets within its database, and anyone can go there to put up their own planet article. Here's an example of my own creation in this regard: Bad Alshir. You'll also find that I went and made articles for the solar system itself, the star, and other planets.
  11. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 5
    Were can you find Fanon Wiki?
  12. Goodwood Force Ghost

star 4
  13. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 5
  14. Findswoman Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    @Goodwood, that is one extremely impressively detailed article. You never cease to amaze me! :)

The planet's name reminds me of all those places in Germany prefixed "Bad" because of their natural mineral baths (Bad Bevensen, Bad Harzburg, Bad Langensalza, etc.). Any inspiration there? (I see that "a few bodies of salty surface water" are among the planet's features...)
  15. Goodwood Force Ghost

star 4
    Not in that sense, no. There are mentions of other planets in that system but the source eludes me at the moment; I know that the third world was dubbed Crass Alshir. Basically each planet carried the star's name as a sort of surname, with the given name being synonyms for "poor" since the system has little to recommend it. As for being able to write detailed articles, that's become pretty much second-nature to me. I spent four years as a Wookieepedian, with at least twenty Featured Articles and about as many Good Articles to my credit, though that was before the standards became much more stringent (for good or for ill). I've got many, many of my own articles on the Fanon Wiki, most of them having to do with the Republic Marines and its units in addition to those based on the fan continuity I've crafted. :)
    Findswoman likes this.
  16. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 5
    To my understanding there are many planets in SW who are just a name and nothing more and I was wondering if there existed a list over those?
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade