main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Planning a day of shooting....the checklist.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MKane, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Hi guys.

Well, It's finally happening, I'm coordinating my first shoot, gathering actors, equipment, technicians, etc... I've been racking my brain going over details and making sure I have everything I'll need. My main goal is to get all the raw footage I'll need so I won't have call back anyone for re-shoots.

What I hope will come from this thread is a good guide to plan the day of shooting. Not just for me, but this could give anyone ideas about how to make a day on the set easier and less stressfull.

Here are the basics I think I'll be needing:

The actors: I guess this is kind of obvious. But I'll contact all those involved giving them plenty of notice (1 month notice should be enough I hope). Giving them a start time, address, and directions.

The tech's: Same thing as the actors, give the techs plenty of notice and have them go through a list of the equipment they will be bringing and anything special they will need from me. I'd contact the tech's a few days before to go over the list again.

The site: In my case, the set is a converted garage. So I have easy access to power outlets and lots of roof framework to hang stuff from. I plan on bringing a pack of extension cords, masking tape, and twine to help move power to whereever I need it. It's covered so weather isn't a factor for me.

Other items:

My Camera with all lenses needed, extra DV tapes, lens cleaners, power adapter. Laptop for quick DL of movie files for test shots on the set.

Lights fixtures and extra bulbs. I'm poor so I'm using a 3 homemade shop lamps with a frame of stretched tissue paper to diffuse.

Other odd's and ends
    1) I got a stack of the actor agreements that let me use their images legally. (sites like atomfilms require these things)

2) I got a a family member to greet the actors when they arrive, get names and phone numbers, and get signatures on the agreements.

3) I got enough little plastic chairs for everyone. I got a large folding table for whatever.

4) I got a bathroom available that can double as a changing room for the storm troopers

5) I lucked out because a cousin of mnine does Craft Service for local pro shoots, he said he'd help out with drinks and food for everyone. Very nice of him. It's important to feed the actors and crew.

6) It's Florida, So I got one big ass fan to help keep things a little cool.

7) I got a little chalkboard/chalk/eraser to mark the scenes.

8) I got a few printouts of the script in case anyone needs it.

9) I got my storyboards with me for reference.

10) Effects and voices will be added in post so ,luckily, I don't have to worry about portable sound equipment.

Can anyone come up with any ideas, or suggestions on how to make this day smooth. How about anyone who has done a day of shooting, any insights?

FYI, there will be about 12 people on site that day, some doubling as actors and crew. These folks are all donating their time for the fan film, so I not only want to treat them right, I want to make the day go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Jeremy_West

Jeremy_West Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 16, 2003
    Mike,

There was a good thread about that a while back.

Here tis

Good luck on your shoot!

Jeremy

3. MKane

Apr 11, 2003
    Huh, I did a search for set and shoots and I kept getting Atomfilm threads. :D

Thanks for the link. I'm sure it will go well.

4. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Make sure you have plenty of the most precious substance required for any shoot.

GAFFA TAPE

No kidding it always becomes the single most sought after item and the one that most people never seem to have enough of.

5. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    just remember, if anything goes wrong at all during the shoot, don't worry about it, just fix it in post.

just kidding. heh, those are some famous last words right there my friend.

6. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    The most forgotten thing in MY opinion:

To shoot inserts. Shoot everything. Shoot the sky, the floor, peoples feet. Shoot closeup of the guy who is not talking.

All these are useful when you need to make a cut in mid-take beacuse 1st half of take #1 was great and 2nd half of take #2 was great, but simply cutting makes a glaring jump-cut.

Shoot Everything.

Oh, and remind your actors a month in advance, a week in advance, 3 days in advance, 1 day in advance, 2 hours in advance, and then 5 minutes in advance, and then 30 minutes late.

/Z

7. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Don't forget one thing...

have fun. :)

8. Ishyko

Ishyko Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2000
    Have a second form which is a liability waiver. This states that your crew, actors, anyone who is on the set recognizes that there is a possibility of injury or even death while making this movie. And that they, their family, friends, dog, coworkers...etc. cannot sue you.

In addition, make sure that your image release form states which mediums you can use their image on (print, video, dvd, internet, and anything not yet invented) so long as it relates to this project.

And everyone involved in your movie needs to sign this as well on the off chance you catch them on camera and possibly later decide to make a documentary or just want to post behind the scenes stuff.

Other than that...there's a great free software that's available for managing your movie's production. It has forms you can print down, reminders, a place to store info, etc.
    There was a thread on this a month or so ago.

And get room tone (have everyone hush up and record the background noise). You'll need this for editing.

But most important...have fun :)

9. MKane

Apr 11, 2003
    Software sounds handy, anyone remember the name of it, or the name of the thread where it was discussed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.