main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Plans to re-release the soundtracks?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by superxero, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superxero

superxero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    The movies and books would of course come first, but this is the last piece of the 'lets squeeze some cash out of Star Wars' puzzle. Has there been any word on it yet? Any rumors?

DamonD edit : Try the link below.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I'm pretty sure the soundtracks are still in release, so no need to re-release them. Perhaps they could print up more to bolster the supply (would that count as a re-release?), or make some sort of advertising push...

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. gonktacular

gonktacular Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004
    Usually soundtrack releases are tied to theatrical releases. But Lucas has done it before -- I have a boxed set circa early 90s of extended trilogy soundtracks. It was the first time they had actually made an effort to get a lot of the films' music out. The original theatrical soundtracks only contained 50% - 65% of each film's music, and Return of the Jedi had even less. This boxed set added back more, and had a fourth disc with some alternate cuts and some source music (i.e. the Cantina Band and the Ewok drums).

The SE Soundtracks added back even more. Supposedly they contain 90% - 95% of the films' music. There's even a "secret track" on the ANH discs that has a number of consecutive cuts of the Star Wars main theme, each a little different than the one before it.

Anyway, unless they REALLY change the music a lot, I doubt there'll be a soundtrack release. But you never know. :)

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The SE soundtracks are pretty much perfect, though it'd be nice if they released a bonus disc with some of the unincluded alternate tracks and lost tracks (should they ever recover the masters or record them), like the alternate Light of the Force, the two versions of the Ewok celebration music, the two versions Lapti Nek (especially since the movie version has never been released) and the long lost Max Rebo #2/Sail Barge track.

Granted, 4 of those are on the anthology collection, but I don't believe that set is still in print, so it'd be nice to make them available again.

5. Crow_T_Robot

Crow_T_Robot Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2002
    I actually have seen the anthology collection in stores fairly recently. I believe it was at Borders.

6. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Yeah, I think you can find the 1993 4-disc anthology set for cheap if you look hard enough. The O-OT crowd will love that set because you get Lapti Nek and the Yub Yub song on those discs.

On the other hand, the 1997 SE releases are perfect. Everything soundtracks should be, but aren't.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>because you get Lapti Nek ... on those discs.<<

But not the movie version ::(

Just the disco-y version that was used in the music video.

8. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    The lack of the concert suite version of "Han Solo and the Princess" on the SE soundtrack release tortured my soul for a long time, until I found a decent enough version of it on a John Williams tribute CD set. It'd be nice to hear it conducted by Williams himself, though - I'm sure he must have done at some point.

9. RednepSuS

RednepSuS Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I hope they print more copies. I can't find them anywhere.

10. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    I wouldn't be surprised if they were re-released with the extra tracks.

Don't count on it being this year though.

11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Agreed. The soundtracks are still out there and still in very good condition. There's no need to re-release anything like that.

12. MarkyB

MarkyB Jedi Master

Jun 21, 2004
    I just read this over at musictap.net:

Sony Classical will issue 3 Star Wars titles on September 14. The titles are: Star Wars: A New Hope - Volume IV; Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Volume V; and Star Wars: Return of The Jedi - Volume V. These titles are by John Williams.

The previous SE discs were on the RCA Victor/BMG label, so I don't know if these will be the same or not. I'm sure we'll hear more as the release date approaches.

(Sony Classical has also been releasing the prequel soundtracks.)

13. Hammered_Hammerhead

Hammered_Hammerhead Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    The SE soundtracks for Jedi and A New Hope were on iTunes but several months ago they were pulled. When I noticed this I thought "they'll re-release 'em for the DVD release in the fall", but I've thought a lot of stuff that didn't turn out to be true.

14. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Just the disco-y version that was used in the music video.

They made a music video of that song?

[face_sick]

15. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.