main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Play-by-Post: d20 Saga Edition: New Republic AU

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Yuul is suddenly glad he had been to tired to take off his armour before sleeping and as he looks at Brom he is calculating...

He will likely be able to get off a shot before I can bring my carbine to bear but I should be able to take a hit and hopefully it will hit the vest. Even if it doesnt I've been hit with blaster bolts before, I can deal and this way I get a shot at that jerky excuse for an officer and even if he turns his blaster fully towards me the private should manage to get off a shot. Either way he is going down.

Yuul unexpectedly rolls to one side readying his carbine as he does so and brings it up fireing off a shot.

OOC: Roll my attack roll for this one but for future reference how do attack rolls work in this one?

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    OoC: You can find a dice-roller here. For future reference, making an ranged* attack roll is:

1d20 + (base attack bonus) +/- (Dexterity modifier) + (weapon focus, if applicable) +/- (range mod.)

But before you do that, you'll need to make an Initiative skill check. For future reference, skill checks are:

1d20 + (1/2 heroic level) + 5 (if trained in the skill) +5 (if focused in the skill) + (ability modifier)

You rolls are: Initiative: 10 + 5 + 3 (your Dex. mod., IIRC) = 18. Ranged attack: 18 + 1 + 3 (Dex, again) + 1 (weapon focus) = 23. A blaster carbine does 3d8, in this case, you do 23 points. Now in SW d20, a "hit" isn't necessarily weapon impacting the target; it's a combination of physical toughness and turning a solid hit into a near-miss or minor hit that leaves you a little worn out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BROM: *scoffs* I was hoping you'd do that.

He gets the jump on you and fires a shot from his blaster pistol. Fortunately for you, your juke in combination with your own shot make him fire wide of the mark (OoC: he beat you on Initiative, but missed with his blaster)

You singe his uniform as he dives out of the way of your shot, and he rolls to a standing position. Unfortunately for you, you see the shuttle bay door open, disgorging a squad of stormtroopers.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OoC: I'm offline for the day; we'll resume tomorrow :D

*or Strength mod. if making a melee attack (unless you have Weapon Finesse with the weapon)

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Lah-sur would also like to participate in the blaster-fight, as being abandoned on an inhospitable planet by a blackmailing IMP who may have access to TIE Bombers is not likely to promote survival.

My Initiative roll was 12 (plus modifiers)
    Attack roll 15

If he has a grenade, Pvt Fah-dour will use that. Otherwise he will stick to his trusty std issue New Republic Blaster Carbine.

4. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    OOC: I just wasn't sure what was different with iniative and attack rolls. On a side not I'm not sure I had weapon focus, I thought I had point blank shot and precise shot, either way I'm sure I get the point blank bonus so even without the +1 from focus i still have the same total.

5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Lahsur: Your shot is a clean miss. Your hands are sweaty, and your grip slipped a bit.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From what you both recall, a Lambda-class shuttle's compliment can include up to 20 troopers, and the hardest cover you have is your tents, unless you count the ruins, which are about 50 meters or so away. Looks like a half-dozen stormies have already debarked and opened fire. Commander Brom is making his way behind the cover of the troopers themselves.

Lahsur: You're able to bob & weave out of the way of their first volley. However, Yuul ducks away from one shot but comes too close to one of the furnaces just as it gets fragged by a stray bolt. Take 9 points of damage.

6. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    OoC- Online "flavor text" and the rules:

Occasionally I'll describe minor bits of movement for "flavor." In game terms, this would be moving within your square (SW-Saga uses grid-based tactical movement). Any sort of substantial movement (ex: Soleria charges to attack the Dark Jedi) has "in-game" effects.

I'm still working on a way to properly tackle the grid-based aspects of the game while playing on a medium that doesn't use grids :p

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Pvt. Fah-dour curses his fate as he watches the IMP run off toward what is likely to be the only ship to land anywhere near here in the near future. Hmmm... What happened to the civilian... He seemed to be very pro IMP. Lah'sur pauses in dodging blasterfire (at last, something he's been trained to deal with) to look arround for the civi. He fires at the stormtroopers reflexively. (Hey, it's just a habit you get into...)

Attack roll: 16 + whatever (sorry, don't know what the bonuses are)

8. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    OOC: How does the new health system work?
    -----------

Yuul grimaces at the burn but stays focused and in return sends a pair of shots screaming back at the stormies. "We need to find some cover! We may have to use the ruins!"

-----------

Attack Roll(multishot)

1: 10 + 1 + 3 + 1(point blank shot) - 2(multishot penalty) = 12
    2: 18 + 1 + 3 + 1 - 2 = 20

OOC: If I remember right multishot lets you get an extra shot but both shots take a negative 2 penalty, if its four then just subtract another 2.

9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Dignitarum is following Commander Brom to the shuttle. From the cover of the troopers and the shuttle itself, he briefly glances back with a look that seems...apologetic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "OOC: How does the new health system work? "

Each character gets a certain die type per level (d10, in the case of soldiers like yourselves) + Constitution modifier every level to dietermine hit points (hps). At 1st lvl, they get (max hps x 3) + (Con modifier). So each of you at this point has 30 + (Con mod) starting hps.

Yuul, I did a "character audit" awhile back, and while we discussed your equipment, background, and a bit of "career planning," I don't find your actual stats. Could you please re-send via PM? Thanks :cool:

Regarding multishot, that has been replaced by a game mechanic called autofire. Certain weapons (like your carbine) can switch between single fire and autofire, while some weapons (like an E-web) function in autofire only.

Autofire is treated as an area attack. You target a 2-square-by-2-square area (approx. 3 square meters) and make a single attack at -5 vs. the Reflex Defense of every creature in the area. Targets hit take full damage, and targets missed take 1/2 damage. Autofire is consumes 10 shots from the firing weapon.

A target with cover (say by hiding around a corner or behind stormtroopers) takes no damage from autofire (or any area attack, for that matter) if it fails to hit the target's Reflex Defense. Similarly, a Jedi with the Deflect talent is considered to have cover vs. autofire if they have an ignited lightsaber.

Yuul: this go-round I'll let you take the better of the two rolls. You'll be able to hit two troopers, because of the way they're spaced out. Lahsur, your attack hits also. I'll assume at this point you were simply in single fire mode. Roll damage, 3d8 (+2 if you have weapon specialization) in both your cases.

Next game mechanic lesson: What can I do in a round?
    Every character gets 3 types of actions each round: standard action, move action, and swift action. Standard actions usually consists of some sort of attack like firing a blaster. Move actions are self-explanatory, and also covers things like drawing or holstering a weapon. Swift actions, I'll cover in more detail in a moment. Essentially:

standard action + move action + swift action = full round action.

You can substitute a standard action for a move action, but not visa versa. Likewise, you can substitute a standard or move action for a swift action, but not visa versa. So for example, you can move "twice" but not attack, but you can't attack twice and not move.

Here's some more detail on what you can do with different types of actions:

Standard Action
    *Make an attack with a melee or ranged weapon.
    *Aid another on a skill check or ranged attack: DC 10 check or Ref. Def 10 attck = +2 bonus to ally.
    *Suppression fire: Ref. Def. 10 attack = opponent attacks at -2.
    *Charge: Move minimum of 2 squares** & attack with melee weapon at +2, but yuo suffer -2 to your Ref. Def.
    *Disarm with a melee weapon.
    *Fight Defensively: -5 to hit = +2 Ref. Def. If you make no attacks, it's +5 to Re. Def. If you're trained in Acrobatics, it's +5 to Ref. Def., or +10 if you make no attacks.
    *Grab or Grapple

**You cannot charge through obstructed terrain, low objects, or enemies.

Move Action
    *Move.
    *Draw or holster a weapon. Quick Draw allows you to do so as a swift action.
    *Manipulate an item, like opening a door or loading a weapon.
    *Stand up from a prone position: If you're trained in Acrobatics, you can "kip up" with a DC 15 Acrobatics check.
    *Withdraw from combat: Move up to 1/2 your speed and your 1st square of movement doesn't provoke an Attack of Opportunity (AoO)

Swift Action
    *Activate an item.
    *Aim (costs 2 swift actions in the same round): Taking careful aim negates target's cover bonus.

10. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    OOC: Ouch, I like the new autofire rules but eliminating multifire? In the Revised edition they had both though autofire was not counted as an area attack. Multifire alowed you to take one extra shot for a fairly low penalty, very good for low and mid level heroes and those with just pistols. If i get the book I'd probally be making some house rules.
    -----------------

Damage(sorry I usually roll damage with the attack, I forgot): 8 + 6 + 5 = 19

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Hmmm... is that area-effect available to everyone?

Lah-sur's damage Roll: 7+1+3(+2)=13

For next round:
    Lah'sur looks to see if he can catch 3 or more stormies in close enough together (he'll count the commander as a stormie), switches to automatic, and then opens up with auto-fire
    If he can't autofire, he'll dive to the dirt to present a smaller target and take a shot at the nearest standing stormie (even if it's the same one he just hit).
    "You take right, I'll take left. No! YOUR right."

Hmmm... Pvt Fah-dour doesn't care too much about the imps getting away. But them leaving him behind is just bad manners. Besides, this is a chance to shoot stormtroopers. What more could he want. Maybe they'll land another shuttle somewhere so that he can pick off more... Nothing personal... but they're only stormtroopers.

12. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    For next round...

Yuul can't just stand here shooting stormies, although it is fun, he needs to find cover from which to hold out and seeing none he will move to the right out of the light generated by the furnace and drop prone before sending another shot at the stormtroopers.

------

Attack Roll: 12+1+3+1=17
    Damage if hit: 7+1+5=13

13. Corporate_Jedi

Corporate_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    "Master Shan was a considered a bit of a prodigy. She possessed an aptitude for Battle Meditation, which is an extreme rarity. She was involved in the redemption of the fallen Jedi turned Sith, Revan. And possibly fell herself, though some accounts speak of her being forced to learn the Dark Side rather than accepting the teaching willingly. She wielded a lightsaber like my own...is this what you meant Master?"

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Soleria: Master Darksun nods approvingly during your recounting. "I wasn't referring strictly to your choice in blades, no. More I was considering both your interest in history and how your perspectives color your interpretation of the past. In particular, I'm interested in hearing from you about how one can be forced to learn the dark side..."

Your reply is cut short by the sound of a ship landing, followe by the sound of blaster fire.

GAVIN: I suppose we'll have to save this for later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yuul: You're able to drop a couple of stormies in a hail of fire. Similarly, another trooper falls to Lahsur's fire.

The troopers return fire. Yuul, take 9 points of damage as you wrench out of the way of a shot. Lahsur takes 21 points of damage, which is enough to send you -1 step on the Condition Track as a shot scorches your helmet, rattling you a bit. Until you Recover, you're at -1 on your attack rolls, ability checks, and all skill checks.

You both see that Fons and Commander Brom have boarded the shuttle. Meanwhile, the 3 remaining troopers fan out to make room for another squad of 6 troopers to debark.

Do the two of you wish to continue with your stated actions?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OoC: Well, this sounds like as good a time as any to talk about the Condition Track, eh? :p

All characters have 3 Defense scores: Reflex, which is how hard you are to hit in combat; Fortitude, which represents your ability to resist poison, disease, massive damage, radiation, etc.; and Will, which represents your willpower and your ability to resist certain Force powers or other mind-affecting effects. Defenses are determined as follows:

Reflex Defense (Ref.) = 10 + heroic level OR armor bonus + Dex mod + class bonus + nat. armor bonus + size mod (armor bonus always replaces heroic level bonus)

Fortitude Defense (Fort.) = 10 + heroic level + Con mod + class bonus + equipment bonus

Will Defense (Will) = 10 + heroic level + Wis mod + class bonus

Certain species traits, feats, talents and actions may grant additional bonuses to one or more of these defenses. Example 1: Zabraks get a racial bonus to all Defense scores. Example 2: Armored Defense (a soldier talent) allows you to use either your heroic level bonus or armor bonus (whichever is greater) to modify your Ref. Example 3: Improved Armored Defense (another soldier talent) allows you to add your heroic level plus 1/2 your armor bonus to modify Ref.

Attacks that deal massive amounts of damage can impair or incapacitate you regardless of how many hit points you have remaining. Your damage threshold determines how much damage a single attack must deal in order to reduce your combat effectiveness, or even kill you.

Damage Threshold = Fortitude Defense + size mod.

Certain debilitating attacks (like stun grenades, long-term exposure to extreme conditions, or massive damage) can reduce one's combat effectiveness instead of (or in addition to) hit points. For example, an attack that does damage exceeding your damage threshold pushes you 1 step down the condition track. A creature pushed to the last step is considered helpless (either unconscious or disabled) and a droid is considered disabled.

The steps on the condition track represent progressive penalties to attack rolls, ability checks and skill checks: -1/ -2/ -5/ -10 and move and half speed / helpless.

In order to be killed, an attack has to both exceed the damage threshold AND be enough to drop to 0 hps. If it doesn't do both, you are helpless, not dead. You may also spend a Force Point as a reaction to be rendered helpless instead of killed.

You can use the Recover action, detailed previously, to move 1 step up the condition track. However, hazards and attacks (like losing a limb to

15. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Lah-sur gulps when he sees more troops getting ready to come down the ramp. "Guess I should be grateful it isn't a dropship."

He tries to roll a meter or so to the right before continuing to fire for area effect with his blaster on full auto. "Do you want to stay here and hope they don't strafe us from the shuttle, or cut&run for the temple for cover?" Pvt Fah'dour will reflexively obey whatever orders the mercenary gives him.

16. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    "Personally I'd say lets take the shuttle but by the looks of things that isn't going to happen. Fall back to those ruins, I'll try to give us some covering fire!"

Yuul fires a burst of shots at the stormies trying to make them keep their heads down before backing up towards the temple.

----

I'm not sure if I can hit more than one with coverfire and if i can't ill just choose whoevers in the best position to shoot us to use it on.

Attack Roll(cover fire): 14+1+3=17

17. Corporate_Jedi

Corporate_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    IC: Soleria gathers herself and springs towards the sound of combat, trusting her instincts in the Force to guide her.

OOC: Soleria readies her lightsaber, but keeps it unlit. She will approah the combat as quickly as she can, preparing to follow her master's lead, or defend the New Republic's personnel (or other innocents) if they are in danger.

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yuul: to clarify, by using suppression fire, you'd be sacrificing your own chance to take out any troopers in order to give opponents a penalty to hit yourself & Lahsur.

I'll allow you to use autofire in conjunction with suppression fire, since AFAIK, the rules as written (RAW) have not specifically addressed that topic of using them together.

19. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    ill go ahead and go with that then i just hope he succeeds

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yuul: You succeed in blanketing the area with blaster fire. Several of the troopers duck and cover. Others shoot back, but miss badly. You & Lahsur have a moment's respite to make a run for it.

21. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    Yuul turns to Lahsur saying, "Come on, lets get to those ruins quick!" Yuul takes a last look at the shuttle before cursing and running towards the temple.

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Lahsur follows the mercenaries order, pausing only to fire at the stormies to keep them honest.
    "Standard retreat pattern 20, or RSfM?" (Run 20 meters, turn and fire while the other person runs 20 meters, when the next person turns to fire, run 20 meters, repeat)(Run Screaming for Mama)

Whichever Yuul chooses, Pvt. Fah'dour follows.

23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yuul & Lahsur: You're able to duck and weave in retreat, while throwing a couple of token shots (think Han Solo running from Death Star troopers in ANH)

You get a little nervous upon approach to the temple, because as you get closer you see that it's positively bristling with anti-personnel and anti-vehicle weapons. Fortunately, they don't appear to be active at this point. Regardless, you're in a hurry retreating from the troopers.

You round a stony embankment, and look back to see that the troopers give pursuit fire long enough to cover their retreat back about the shuttle, which then takes off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soleria: The sound of blaster fire abates as you make your way to a plateau large enough to land a Corellian corvette. You see a Lambda-class shuttle taking off. In the center of the plateau, you see a structure reminiscent of the Massassi temples on Yavin IV.

24. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    "Standard retreat pattern 20, or RSfM?"

"Standard retreat pattern 20!" Yuul replies.

After a few return shots they reach the temple and Yuul takes special note of the weapons and as they take cover behind some of the stone, he sees the shuttle take off. "Blast, do you happen to have a portable distress beacon from your pod?" He asks Lahsur.

25. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    "If I did, it's back at the camp site. I wouldn't put it past either the stormies or those Imp officers to have shot or sabotaged it, though. Now that they're gone, we should probablly go back and see if they left anything behind. If nothing else, maybe the blasters of the ones we shot." Pvt Fah'dour looks at the charge on his carbine and winces. "We should definately look at power and ammo options."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.