main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Play It By Ear (Jaina/Zekk YJK fic.) Fait Accomplit February 28th 2005!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jade_Max, Nov 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Post 500! Whoot!

Let's honor it with a story post!

Yay!

Thanks for reading guys, I hope this is worth the wait! You guys are swesome to be so patient with me too. I can't thank you enough for that.

Jaina settled into her quarters after locking the door behind her. Force Bonded. The words echoed in her mind ominously even as they sent an anticipatory shiver down her spine.

The image of herself and Zekk in Luke and Aunt Mara's shoes many years from now appeared in her mind and she examined it closely. It was tempting, to reach out and touch it, but she held herself back, banishing it to the recesses of her mind. What would a Force Bond mean to her and Zekk?

What would it mean to her family and Peckhum? Her lips kicked into a lopsided grin. Peckhum would be ecstatic that she and Zekk had finally decided to stay together. Her family on the other hand... She shook her head, her smile dying. Jacen and Zekk had been good friends before Zekk had started to see her as a woman.

Her father had been accepting, even as her mother had been, but recently she got the feeling they didn't want to let her go. Not yet anyway. Would they ever? Probably not. Jaina had a feeling no matter how old she got, her parents would always be parents and unwilling to release her to any man.

How about share? she wondered idly, her gaze unfocused on the room around her.

She shook her head to clear it, her gaze falling on her work bench. She was supposed to meditate and reflect on the implications of what forming an unbreakable bond would be. Was it possible to form a bond that couldn't be broken at all, even in death?

Jaina walked to her work bench and stared across it at the only window in her room. It had to be. Uncle Luke had talked about being able to contact Obi-Wan Kenobi even after the man's death.

Why was she thinking about death anyway? Surely if something were to happen to either herself or Zekk, the other would still be there in the Force. It was a comforting thought, but terrifying at the same time.

What would it be like, she wondered, to lose Zekk's touch, his smile and kiss, his understanding, and just know that he was there. She wouldn't be able to speak with him and expect a response. She couldn't hold him or feel the warmth of his hand in hers. Could she live like that if something were to happen to him?

Jaina wasn't sure.

A knock sounded on her door. "Come in."

The door opened silently and she looked back over her shoulder. "Kyp!"

"Hey squirt, you look like you've been given a sour piece of candy."

Jaina made a face. "Not quite. I've been given a lot to think about."

Kyp leaned against the wall, letting the door close behind him. "Want to talk it out? I might be able to help."

She kicked an extra chair towards him. "Have a seat - it might help."

Kyp straddled the chair, crossing his arms over the back. "So what's on your mind, kiddo? I could feel your stress across the yard?

She smiled faintly. "Sorry, I was trying not to project. Uncle Luke met me and Zekk today to explain some things. To make a long story short, it appears we're forming what's called a ?Force Bond?. That's what he and Aunt Mara have, and it's kind of neat to watch it, but I don't know if I can handle being a part of one."

Kyp listened attentively, his face almost impassive. "So what's the problem?"

She blushed. "I have a couple of them, but the biggest would be if one of us dies, and how will it affect the other."

Kyp waved it away with a hand gesture. "A long time in coming, Jaya."

"That's the way it's supposed to happen, I know, but one of us could die next week at the hands of a space worm or something and then where would the other one be?"

Kyp smiled and shook his head. "Well, if he died, you'd be with me."

She felt her jaw drop before he winked at her with a mischievous grin.

"Kidding, kidding!" He held his hands up as if to deflect a blow. "Don't hurt me, I promise it was in jest."

She loo

2. hollynkesten

hollynkesten Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    and its good to know that they are going to stay together... RIGHT?!?!? i certainly hope so, and i hope they decide to stand all the problems!

3. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Great! I liked Kyp and Jaina's talk, especially the 'you'd be with me.' Priceless.

4. Jedi_Bubbles

Jedi_Bubbles Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    This is great! I hope they do bond. The soul searching is going to be quite interesting. Kyp gave good advice without teasing Jaina, too much. I hope they figure it out soon.

5. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    LOL, thanks hollynkesten, and yes this is a Jaina/Zekk fic so I?m going to keep them together *chuckle* but what?s romance without a little bit of trial? Trust me, I?m going to work pretty hard on the next part so it doesn?t disappoint.

Suziki_Akira *snicker* Glad you liked it! I figured I had to throw something in for K/Jers I know are reading this. I wanted to show that even Kyp could have a semi-serious side when it comes to her. Lol, listed to me, I?m the one who wrote a K/J fic and now an including references in my J/Z fic. I?m an awful person.

Thank you Jedi_Bubbles I?m glad you enjoyed it, I only hope I?m keeping them partly true to character!

6. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Now, TJF's e-mail isn't working for some reason, so she hasn't betaed this one... but I did promise once a month, so here it is!

Jaina and Zekk didn't see each other for the better part of that week and were left alone, by unspoken agreement, by the other students and their Masters.

Kyp visited Jaina several times to act as a sounding board and to offer his insight into the matter.

Zekk spoke, surprisingly, with Jacen when he spoke to anyone at all.

Once such conversation came on the third day when Zekk, having commandeered the bench at the path crossing, was interrupted by the younger Jedi.

"Care for some company?"

Zekk opened his eyes to meet the brandy brown orbs of Jacen Solo. He felt his heart twist as the familiar colors brought Jaina's image swiftly to mind. "I wasn't planning on it, no."

Jacen grinned roguishly. "Then you're lucky. I wasn't planning on it either." His smiled slowly faded. "I hear you and my sister are in some serious trouble."

"I think that depends on your point of view." Zekk hedged, reluctant to speak about bonding with the other man's sister. "We're more at a cross road of sorts."

Jacen's gaze went to the path split nearby. "I take it that's why you're here?"

Zekk eyed Jacen carefully, finally moving over on the bench. "Have a seat."

"You didn't answer my question."

Zekk rolled his eyes. "You're as difficult as your sister sometimes. Sit, I'll explain."

Jacen sat, relaxing a little now that he knew he wouldn't be told to buzz off. "Ok, I'm listening."

Zekk took a deep breath, organizing his thoughts before he spoke. "You're right. The crossroad we're sitting at is symbolic of a choice that she and I have to make. My choice, I think, will be tougher than hers."

"Why?"

Zekk's smile was faint. "I have a vague idea of what we're getting into; I don't think she does."

Jacen's smile was wry in return, "You might be surprised. Ok, so why these crossroads? There's more than just this intersection."

Zekk pointed down the two paths. "They're symbolic yet again. Down one path is light. I imagine that as being Jaina. Ever since you two befriended me, your sister has been special. She's been the one to pull me out of trouble, emotional more than physical, and the one to support me. She's the light, the goodness in my life."

"Sounds like a good thing." Jacen cocked his head to the side. "But if it's so good, what?s the dilemma?"

Zekk chuckled. "Just listen, I'll get to that eventually. Now, the other path is darkness. This, to me, represents everything I've done that doesn't deserve praise. And I've done a lot of bad things Jacen; not just with the Shadow Academy. My life hasn't been a shining example for others to follow. I have my demons, my flaws and weaknesses, more so that other people I think." He paused, collecting his thoughts again before going on. "From what I understand of your aunt and uncle's Force Bond, they know almost everything about each other. What they're feeling, thinking, and what they've done in the past. I don't know if I can burden your sister with the knowledge of my failures."

"Are you sure you'd burden her?" Jacen's question was almost rhetorical in nature. "Seriously, you sound like you're terrified to take the chance. I suppose it didn't occur to you that if she knows all of your faults, you'd know all of hers?"

Zekk stared at the younger man. "Your sister doesn't really have faults. Not like mine."

Jacen laughed. "You're dreaming. Jaina is not the paragon you think she is. Don't you think she's as afraid of what you'll find out about her? You should; Jaina's got some pretty dark memories and urges you'd be sharing."

Zekk considered it. "I hadn't thought of it that way. I?m more concerned about destroying the image she has of me.?

?Don?t be so selfish, Zekk.? Jacen slapped him on the shoulder. ?Jaina?s probably just as scared as you. Think about it though. Don?t the good things outweigh the bad? Your fears, and hers, can be talked out.

7. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Oh, I've missed so much! Excellent work, Jade! I love the idea of Zekk and Jaina forming a Force Bond, and I can't wait to find out what the two of them decide. :)

It's so nice to see Jacen with his YJK characterization. It reminds me why I used to like him. I also liked the way you wrote Kyp. I can see him being wary of bonding with someone so strongly. That was very believable.

Looking forward to more!

8. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    I nearly died with frustration at the end of this chapter - how can that be all!

I love it so much!

You've done a wonderful job at expressing Zekk's feelings in this last chapter and I love that he talked them over with Jacen.

EDIT: I've decided I like Jacen here. He's very Jacen-y.

9. hollynkesten

Mar 29, 2004
    yay!! they are going to talk!!! yay, thats awesome!keep yo the awesome work, cant wait for the next post!

10. Jedi_Bubbles

Jedi_Bubbles Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    This is excellent! I love it! Jacen was giving Zekk a pep talk, which is something he could use right now. I really want them to bond.

11. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Im unbanned and back :D

Sooo, new month....

new post soon ?

And good posts since my last review.

12. Enelya_Sol

Enelya_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2004
    Yay!!! The last two parts were excellent! I'm so glad I found this story again.

Please update soon. I can't wait to find out what their decisions will be.

13. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Are you following me Jenny ? :p

14. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Uppers !

When do we get a post ?

15. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
  16. hollynkesten

Mar 29, 2004
  17. Kazzy

Oct 17, 2002
    Are we likely to see an update anytime soon?

18. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    I haven't heard anything from JM since the last post, but hopefully that'll change soon :)

bump^

~TJF

19. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    computer problems people, but I'm back (even Word-less) and a new post will shortly be going out to Trickster... she'll be needing to correct my horendous spelling once it goes her way - and no I'm not disappearing. My computer was reformatted and Word is being a pain.

Ah well, more to come soon

P.S. if anyone's interested From The Ground Up has been started. A Month overdue, but started!

20. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Ive allready grabbed first reply there :D

JM, why couldnt the NJO have been as wellwritten as yer fanfic ?

21. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    +1 and uppers.

22. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Will I be forgiven for not doing personal replies for the moment and simply posting another part of the story? *looks around* I thought so... I'll come back and edit in my replies shortly (in a day or 3)

Thanks so much all of you for continued support!

EDIT! And personal replies :D

Lonewolf89 Thank you, I'm glad you came back to check in - your comments and critics are always very helpful when I need to keep these guys in character. I'm thrilled you think the Kyp-Jaina conversations were believable and you're enjoying Jacen's personality. I think I like him better this way too ;) As far as the Force Bond - that'll be addressed the next post after this one - which is going to be huge, so stay tuned!

Kazzy I apologize for making you wait so long, Kazzy, life's pretty busy right now - and I don't have my writing program *makes a face* but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Their decision doesn't really happen in this chapter, but I hope it was worth the wait! Glad tyo hear you like Jacen - I was hoping I got his character straight.

hollynkesten LOL! Yup, they're going to talk, read on and you'll see just what about!

Jedi_Bubbles You want Jacen and Zekk to bond? lol! Oh, you mean Jaina and Zekk, gotcha! That'll come... eventually!

Wes_Janson Welcome back, missed having you around... and I apologise for no posts in August or September... they're busy, busy months - and my computer was reformatted and in pieces for a lot of them! and the post is now! lol

Enelya_Sol Welcome back, glad you're back and enjoying the story!

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Big thanks to you, TJF, without you my grammar and spelling would be worse than normal... not to mention I get character advise! You rock, girl!

Wes_Janson JM, why couldnt the NJO have been as wellwritten as yer fanfic ? <----- eh? Wow, that's quite the compliment, but I don't have an answer for you... just a question back - was it really not well written, or did it just not take the path you wanted it to? *grin* I'm a stinker. I didn't like NJO either, but I thought the writers were decent for what they did, even if they couldn't keep the characterizations going...

END EDIT

On with the story! :D

Jaina wasn't in her room when Zekk came looking for her the next afternoon.

He frowned, reluctant to search her out in the Force. Where else would she be? Someplace obvious? He headed for the hangar and the Rock Dragon, an ever present hobby of hers.

Several minutes later, he knew he was wrong. The hangar was silent, the ever present sounds of tinkering and cursing absent. A thorough search of the hangar proved him right.

He frowned, leaning against the hull of Tenel Ka's ship. Where else would Jaina be? She mostly tinkered when she needed to think. She wouldn't still be in her room, would she?

He headed in that direction, deciding to take the long pathway around the temple to take the time to gather and order his thoughts.

The sound of clashing lightsabres was loud in the stillness of the jungle, a familiar laugh drawing his head up. Jaina?

He followed the sound towards the practice arena and stopped on the edge of the clearing. There, dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, her hair plastered to her sweaty face, Jaina was sparring with Kyp Durron.

Kyp's violet blade crossed with Jaina's and she rolled with the blow, overplaying the power as she sent herself flying to the side. Kyp mockingly made to follow only to be pushed back by a wave of the Force.

"Not fair! No Force tricks!"

"Sparring require Force tricks," she shot back, rolling to her feet. She hammed having a limp, dragging one leg behind her. "Unless, Master, you want to change the rules."

Kyp chuckled, his familiar smirk in evidence. "You have your own rules, Jaina Solo. You always have."

She threw her lightsaber at him, laughing as he waved his lightsaber wildly only to deflect it harmlessly aside at the last second.

Stepping into the clearing, Zekk caught the lightsaber

23. hollynkesten

Mar 29, 2004
    What kind of consequenses, but any dire consequences means they can't turn back!!!! they will just have to go ahead with it! keep up the awesome work!

24. Kazzy

Oct 17, 2002
    It's an update!! Yeeha! Thank you! :)

Yay! Zekk and Jaina back in the same post together.

What I really liked was that it was Jaina reassuring Zekk. It was sweet and showed a different facet to their relationship. Until now, between them it has mainly been the other way around, as Zekk is older. I think in many ways this post put them on a more equal footing. :)

Little did either know, they'd just jumped ahead a huge step and, to turn back now, would have dire consequences. :eek: That sounds foreboding. I can't wait. ;)

BTW, whatever happened to the box they found. Did that get resloved and I missed it, will it be resolved, or is it unimportant? I'm kinda curious.

25. Enelya_Sol

Enelya_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2004
    My favorite part:

I've loved you since I saw you, Jaina Solo. You're my greatest weakness and my greatest strength. You're the light that's saved me and the light that's burned me.

Awww... <3 Zekk.

Now with the rest of the review: What consequences? That part was so touching, you can't stop soon. Hope you come back SOON with another part! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.