main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Player of their Generation?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by FatBurt, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Patrick Roy is the player that got me interested in the National Hockey League. He seemed to rise to dominance just as Wayne Gretzky was no longer dominant. He's got to have some love in the post-Gretzky dominance era, although it appears we're getting ready for a number of young players to start fighting for the right to be the next dominant player.

2. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Funny coincidence that Gascoigne's nickname is Gazza and Wayne's is Wazza.

3. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    It's not a coincidence.

Man Utd fans call players by their first letter + azza(or something similar).

They say Gazza for Gary Neville also and Gabba for Heinze. Crowd favourites.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Curse! I saw that Kyp had posted and hoped I might've rekindled the debate! :p

5. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm too much of a stats guy to pick Troy Aikman...

the guy played two more years then Favre in the 90's and Favre still had more yards then he did in that decade. favre threw 235 touchdowns in the 90's and Aikman only threw 149...

6. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    As far as QBs in the 90's go, I'd pick Favre and Young over Aikman.

7. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Becca?

The Man U and England players started calling him Wazza. I was joking.

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    By your logic, you'd have to pick Marino ofver Montana for the 80s, then. And I don't think you want to go there. ´

I like Favre, but when push came ot shove, he self-destructed in too many big games.

Emmit Smith was the man. And he can dance![face_dancing]

9. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    No, I wouldn't put Marino over Montana using my logic.

Here's the thing:

Marino=brilliant stats, no rings
    Montana=great stats, buncha rings

Aikman=average stats, buncha rings
    Favre=great stats, ring

in my eyes, if you win a superbowl you've done all you can. repeating after that doesn't matter much in terms of greatness unless you pull a bill russell.

Favre has a ring and the stats, Aikman only has rings.

I mean, Aikman threw for 20+ TD's in a season only once in his career. Brett Favre threw 30+ TD's in 5 season's in a row and 8 overall in his career. The most yards Aikman ever threw for in any given season was 3445.

I'm not saying Aikman wasn't great... just sayin Favre was better.

10. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Interesting y'all are picking QB's for the 00's. What about Tiki Barber?

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    AJ, check the stats from Marino's one super bowl, i guarantee you they blow Favres numbers in his two super bowls away.

12. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    ok... but what's that have to do with anything?

What I said had nothing to do with stats in the superbowl...

13. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Bit soon to say Rooney is the player of his generation if you're saying 16-22. There could be other players still developing. What about Adu, Messi and Ablongahor?

I agree Rooney is immensley talented but we need to give others a chance to prove themselves.

14. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Agreed. Both the 60s and 80s were more defined by the Russel/Wilt and Magic/Bird rivalries than an individual player, like Jordan being the player of the 90s.

I'm not sure who I'd put in the past, but for football I'd probably put Tom Brady as the defining player now- though if Tomilson gets a ring or two, I may have to switch to him.

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Adu: If and when he moves permanently to Man Utd we'll find out more about him. A good prospect, sure, but he may not make the grade when it comes to English football.

Messi: Yes, a brilliant talent. I'd just rather say Rooney is better because Rooney is English and Messi is an Argie.

Ablongahor: Has been great this season, so as good as Rooney? I don't think so.

16. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002

The only way Emmit Smith's name comes up in any sort of discussion like this is possibly as one of the most OVERRATED of the decade.

And winning that stupid dance competition should eliminate him from consideration for ANYTHING. He wasn't even the best RUNNINGBACK of his generation (Hello, Barry Sanders!)

Anywho: some players i figure should be considered as PLAYERS OF THEIR GENERATIONS:

NHL: Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux. I'd say you have the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's taken care of right there.

NBA: Jordan was definitely the face of the 90's, but he's tarnished his legend a bit with the continuous retirements-unretirements thing he's pulled.

The latter stage of the 90's and into the 21st century, i think you have to talk about Shaq on that list. Lebron isn't quite there yet. When he lifts his team to the conference finals (Which could very well happen this year, given how weak the Conference is!) THEN you can start talking about him here.

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

18. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    NFL:

1950's: Otto Graham

1960's: Johhny Unitas

1970's: Terry Bradshaw

1980's: Dan Marino

1990's: Brett Favre

2000's: Peyton Manning

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    2000's: Peyton Manning

strange, i don't see any titles on his resume, except for "choker".

brady will go down as the best quarterback of his generation.

and putting marino above montana is laughable.

20. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    You're nuts if you think Emmit Smith is overrated. Not only does he hold many records(including most rushing yards ever for a rb), but he actually has three rings.

21. JOHNNY-B

Mar 18, 2003
    You again: You just don't quite

Why is Joe Montana better than Marino? There was no "QB" better than Marino in the 80's (that meant more to there team than Marino)... He was the face of the Dolpins, and the reason why they went as far as they did. Let me guess becuase Joe has four rings, that makes him, the greatest...right? Who also played on some of the most dominant 49er teams ever... Becuase of his teams success, he's the greatest -- what ever... Good "QB", but Marino was better. Peyton to is a better "QB" than Brady. And when it's all said and done: Peyton will gets his..it's just a matter of time.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Why is Joe Montana better than Marino?

uh, four rings to zero?

Who also played on some of the most dominant 49er teams ever... Becuase of his teams success, he's the greatest

right, as if all he did was hand off to roger craig or any other running back.

same reason brady is better than manning, only they've faced off with equally talented teams, and brady has won almost all of their games, and all the ones in the playoffs.

three rings to zero.

manning is a choker, and until i see otherwise, always will be. period.

23. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    You have to admit, that's four pretty good reasons.

The Dolphins organization could have opened their wallet and spent some more money, Marino played during a non-salary capped team.

24. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    did you say the same thing about Elway before he won it all in his last two seasons?

25. JOHNNY-B

Mar 18, 2003
    It's team thing Buddy... And Montana played on a team that was built to win. He wouldn't even be a name, if it weren't for, his team. Any other team he'd be nothing. Montana is better becuase of his rings...is that what you base it all on? What a joke...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.