Player of their Generation?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by FatBurt, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Manning is a very good QB, but until he manages to get thru the playoffs, and at least get to a Superbowl, I don't think he should be considered great. He's been surrounded by a very talented team for how many seasons now?
  2. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    It's team thing Buddy.

teams are led by the quarterback. it's a team game, but none of these players were bit parts on their teams. they were leaders, and manning in particular has had ample opportunity to win a big game and has failed to do so.

edit: also, i rarely (if ever) say anything like this, but "buddy", i've been around here a long time. you've got less than 400 posts. quit acting like you're hot stuff and making it seem like i don't have any idea what i'm talking about. i didn't get to this position by my looks.
  3. JOHNNY-B Jedi Knight

star 2
    I do have life.. I can't just sit here, and post my life away... Besides I can care less about how you got where you where. Go tell someone else who give a damn.
  4. heels1785 JCC/PT Manager

Manager
    star 6
    *gives thread quick kick in the sack*

Nobody's mentioned Ali (that I saw), who, while not in a team sport, was certainly a dominating figure in the 60s and 70s.
  5. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    NBA: Jordan was definitely the face of the 90's, but he's tarnished his legend a bit with the continuous retirements-unretirements thing he's pulled.

I don't think he really tarnished his reputation that much, and he will always be the face of the '90s (6 titles, 1 decade? not bad), as well as one of the standards that people are compared to, and very rarely compared to on anything close to equal footing.
  6. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    I think the second comeback tainted his legacy, slightly. The first one was fine, and how he left the second time should have been the perfect ending for him.
  7. Souderwan Chosen One

star 6
    No mention of Pelé? [face_plain]
  8. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    A record that would have belonged to Barry Sanders, had he not mysteriously just up and retired while he still had at least 3 solid years left in him (though i'm pretty sure i understand exactly why he retired.)

Again, Emmit wasn't even the best back of his generation, but he played for "America's" team while Sanders toiled away for the Detroit Lions, so Smith gets alot more kudos.
  9. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    woulda coulda shoulda.

it's not Smith's fault that Barry's a quitter.
  10. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    was jim brown a quitter?
  11. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
  12. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    why?

there's something to be said for going out on top, on your own terms, when you're still at your best (or close to it).
  13. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    And not destroying your body and stuff.
  14. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    well at least Barry had a real reason to quit.

Jim Brown quit because he wanted to be in movies...
  15. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Jim Brown quit because he wanted to be in movies...

what's wrong with that? Ted Williams was a hall of famer at both baseball and fly-fishing, and a legendary pilot. athletes can have multiple interests. obviously, brown was no legend at acting, but it was something he wanted to do. when you conquer everything in your chosen profession, the sense of challenge can be lost.
  16. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Wasn't he John Glenn's wingman?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.