main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Playing a Hutt

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Gosai2, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gosai2

Gosai2 Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2006
    Well, i've recently been struck by one of my odd little fancies. Now, i'm actually a pretty big fan of the Hutts as a species, but I can never find any sort of information for using them as player characters (Yes I can go back into the book and look at generic Hutt NPC stats in 'friends and foes' or whatnot)

Anyway, I was wondering what suggestions you guys could make for Hutt characters would be. This could involve stats, opinions for appropriate classes or skills, or even opinions for how to play their personalities. I'm curious what kind of responses i'll get and how I can adapt those for my own needs.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Not sure which, but would recommend checking out one of the Jedi Healer novels, as that had a Hutt different from the usual crimelord, actually working as a quartermaster for a Republic military outfit.

3. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Same as for any rarely played race. Look at its environment. Look at its society. Figure out how yours is gonna be different. Figure out its reasons for breaking those stereotypes. Factor all that into generating your mannerisms as the character.

Hutts, being non-bipedal (non-pedal?) also have the interesting issue of locomotion. How does one describe the movement of a Hutt? What are some synonyms for "slither"? Does it ride a repulsor sled to get around?

Etc.

4. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Corect me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you are refering to the D20 star wars roleplaying game, if so you might want to put that in Games:Rpgs

Edit1: Although the atribute stuff is as follows. +2 Str, -4 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, and +2 Cha.

Their movement is the real downside, 2m an action when moving under there own power. One reason as to which most hutts use repulsor sleds.

They also gain the bonus feat infamy.

5. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Well, if you haven't been to the Wookieepedia, correct that oversight.

As far as d20 goes, you're probably better off with some sort of noble or scoundrel character, or maybe a fringer/scout, Force users and soldiers tend to be rarer (unless you're playing Empire at War, where Petroglyph decided that Hutt battalions somehow make sense...). You'd probably want to favor skills related to deception, persuasion, negotiation and knowledge, since it's not like you're going to be very athletic or acrobatic. Intellect may be more up your alley.

To quote from the Tempest Feud module,

The Nature of Hutts
    Hutts are large gastropods found throughout the galaxy. They have thick, sluglike bodies topped with a wide-mouthed head, catlike eyes, and a slit nose. Two stubby arms jut from just beneath the head. A Hutt's jaw is capable of unhinging, much like a snake's, allowing it to swallow objects of incredible size. In addition, the Hutt mouth has a dexterous, almost prehensile tongue.

As a species, Hutts are crafty, mercenary, calculating, and sly. They have not only worked their way into criminal enterprises throughout the known universe but also have dominated many fields of felonious activity. Criminal empire-building is a major enterprise of the Hutts, and most illegal activities in the galaxy seem to involve Hutts in one way or another.

Hutts are hermaphroditic, possessing both male and female reproductive organs. As a result, gender is more a case of a Hutt's deliberate decision or a viewer's deduction than any definitive gender status.

Hutts can live for up to a thousand years. They have long memories and can typically remember dealings with an individual's ancestor or homeworld of which that person is not even aware. Similarly, Hutts never forget a significant slight or reversal. They see revenge as a slow, carefully calculated pursuit.

Hutts in general believe they are the center of the universe and completely deserving of th galaxy's bounty. Indeed, a common Hutt aphorism is "Someone's got to have it. Why not us?"

Running Hutts
    Hutts, like Humans, have varying personalities. However, most Hutts follow the philosophy of the strong taking from the weak and the smart taking from the strong. Naturally, they consider themselves to be the smart, and they hire the strong to do their dirty work.

When running Hutts, always remember that you are superior to any other being in the room, including the heroes. Allow yourself to be flattered, but pride yourself on never being fooled. Assume that anyone dealing with you, regardless of species, is as in touch with their baser nature as you are. If your Hutt is greedy, then you can assume that every other creature is equally greedy. If the Hutt you are running is corrupt, you can assume that all other species are equally corrupt, even if they don't admit it.

In general, Hutts are selfish, cunning, and proud. They are also slimy, ill-mannered, and slothful. There is nothing more embarrassing than a Hutt in a position of weakness- these are usually slender, emaciated creatures with no say in their own lives, much less in the lives of their fellow creatures.

Hutts have loud, booming voices, usually deep in tone and timber. They punctuate their taunts and demands with hooting laughter and never want to appear surprised. They usually (but not always) speak Huttese, their native language, and expect the listeners to either understand or rely on a translator. This behavior is one more way that the Hutts demonstrate their superiority.

In game play, you might want to favor the players with a few linguistic morsels. If the heroes understand Huttese (or have a translator available), switch to a common language in play (it is time-consuming to force everything to be translated, though it is sometimes worth it in play). All Hutts understand Basic- they just choose not to use it.

Hutts are rarely encountered alone. Supplicants, sycophants and entertainers surround the

6. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    I have the tempest feud module, I altered it into a game where players were from different sides all trying to get a piece of information.

7. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    First of all, Empire at War is so loaded with inaccuracies and common uber-rarities that it should not be canon, fun as it may be. For Christ's sake, Petroglyph decided to oblige Bariss_Coffee by making San Hill apparently survive ROTS, but he and his entire race of Muuns are now humans, and no one will accept my proposed retcon that Muunilist was the victim of an experimental Imperial biological weapon whose side effects include squashing the skulls of the Muuns, turning their skin from gray to pink, and causing them to sprout odd tufts of brown hair in strange places like the tops of their heads and their chins....

Secondly, Light, just out of curiosity, how does the RPG handle the movies' implied immunity to mind tricks for Toydarians and Hutts? Is it something akin to a racial trait making them outright immune or is it more of a bonus to rolls to prevent being mind-tricked?

8. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Just don't do what my brother tried to do and make a force-adept Hutt raised by Wookiees who liked to sing. That turned out rather badly. :oops:

9. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    It's done as a sizable bonus to their save, anywhere from +6 to +10 depending on race

10. Gosai2

Gosai2 Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2006
    *Whistles* Wow, that's one helluva bonus.

And Light and Yuul, thanks for the additionl information. I was talking about the D20 rules for Hutts, and Wookieepedia.

It's a shame there aren't more examples of a Force Sensitive Hutt...all I can really think of is Beldorian. And he was pretty unique as well, being described around nine meters long and keeping his physique snakelike rather than sluglike (Thus being able to fight enemies with surprising speed).

But anyway, this is some pretty fun information so far. Their stats are awesome if you don't mind being slow as all hell, they have a major bonus against the mind trick, they're already infamous, and patient spiteful planners. Also kinda interesting is they can see in the infra-red spectrum...or...I may be getting it wrong...I know they see in some spectrum beyond human eyesight...

11. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    Actually a hutt in the tempest feud module was force sensitive, a hutt namede Mika...

12. Gosai2

Gosai2 Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2006
    Tempes Fued...is that a book or a game or somethine else entrely? It sounds interesting. I may have to look into it.

13. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Tempest Feud is an adventure book for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game.

14. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    designed for level 9 players, and by the end they should be level 12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.