main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Playing Online

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by BrandonBa2, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrandonBa2

BrandonBa2 Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Hello,I was just woundering if there is any way to play any of the star wars card games online i know you can play games like dbz,pokemon,harrypoter and magic but i have never seen star wars and im intrested in playing with u guys if there is a way so if anyone knows away please let me know

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Just chat with someone on an instant messaging service and tell him all of your moves.

3. iwjev

iwjev Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    I am a porgrammer and if there are any others out there I would be interested in making an online version of the game.

I thought about doing this a little while ago but only got as far as 2 start working on a design. I do communication programming for a living for a living so i think i can pull it off. I just know i will need some help to do it right.

Let me know if anyone is interested?

John

4. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Depending on which SW game you are reffering to, there are some programs out there already.

For SWCCG online, go to Decktech Downloads section for a program called cardtable and all SWCCG sets up to Tatooine I think. PM me for a guys email address that has the other sets up to the last Decipher released set in .dat format. I do not think anyone kept up the .gif files last itme I checked, but that was a while back. I do not think the PC has made the virtual cards in .dat format either, but I am sure someone has.

For SWTCG online go to SWTCG Apprentice. It is a simply awesome program, and very compatible with SWTCG. It started out as a Magic program but Yodarth made a patch for it and someone else made a theme for it. It takes a little bit of finagling to get it all installed properly, but once done, it is awesome and is easy to use. Cardtable is also available for SWTCG but it seems Apprentice is the program of choice for SWTCG. Yodarth also made YJCCG and JKTCG patches as well.

If your asking about SWTCG, you can also sign up for an online league at Yodarth's Apprentice site.

5. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    If you are looking at making an online program for Star Wars games, check out master craftsman

It is a program that knows the rules and takes away a lot of the guess work.

A program like this for Star Wars CCG would be great.

6. BrandonBa2

BrandonBa2 Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    If I Knew Programing i would love to help u but unfourtently im stuck at qbasic and i did download all those so for ANYONE wanting to play PM me and I'll Play u guys! and if theres enough people i would like to start a leage of thise with weekly meeting and stuff :)

~BB2~

7. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Apparantly there was some problem with Master Craftsman. Decipher has asked it's creator to stop making it. Since D no longer runs the CCG, maybe there won't be a problem. Check Master Craftsman out anyway. IMHO it's a great way to play online.

EDIT:

Before you start on ways to make a program to play SW online, especially when it implements the rules or card info, please note the following email from Decipher sent to the maker of Master Craftsman:

To the operator of the site:
    http://www.danielplaisted.com/mastercraftsman/:

I am writing to you as a representative of the legal department of
    Decipher Inc. As you are well aware, Decipher developed the Lord of the
    Rings Trading Card Game ("LOTR:TCG").

Each individual LOTR:TCG card is a separate copyrightable work and
    together the LOTR:TCG cards represent a collective work which is
    protected from infringement and unfair competition under the U.S.
    Copyright Act ("Act"). Decipher has filed applications with the U.S.
    Copyright Office to federally register the LOTR:TCG cards. Under the Act,
    Decipher is granted the exclusive rights of reproduction, adaptation,
    publication, public performance and public display.

It has recently come to our attention that you are operating a
    website over the internet (at
    http://www.danielplaisted.com/mastercraftsman) that advertises a software
    program. This software program contains several graphic images and card
    information from the LOTR:TCG cards which are Decipher's intellectual
    property. The distribution of such software program is illegal, an
    infringement of Decipher's rights and actionable by Decipher under state,
    federal and international law.

Decipher never allows the use of its graphics or card information in
    creating derivative works. For more details about what you can and cannot
    do with Decipher's intellectual property, please see the legal notice
    section on Decipher's website. For the reasons discussed herein, Decipher
    insisted that you fully and immediately cease and desist the distribution
    of any and all software programs developed from Decipher's CCG cards and
    that you provide assurance to me that you will not violate or infringe
    Decipher's intellectual property rights in the future. I trust that this
    email will serve as sufficient notice to you and that you will comply
    with the above-stated demands. We will be monitoring your site to assure
    compliance.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Sincerely,
    Lisa Brinn

Decipher Inc. -- The Art of Great Games

A pity, but Decipher has their reasons

PS does anyone have a link to apprentice for LotR?

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    That is so stupid. It's not like Decipher or New Line is losing any money from Master Craftsman being in existence, so they should have no problem with it.

9. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    There is a good reason for this.

With SWCCCG, even with Lucas strict license issues, Decipher tended to look the other way with cardtable and other such programs. Lucas would not allow an official online version of SWCCG, so when the fans made it, no one seemed to really crack down much on it. I know it was mentioned plenty of times on Deciphers mailing list, with how to get it, who had it, who was doing the .dats the .gifs, etc. No one ever objected or said "Hey guys, knock it off, that's illegal". They just kinda ignored it.

However Decipher has plans to make an online version of LotR, and this would be in direct competition with them to make a "pirate" online LotR. Decipher also has the digital rights to it.

WotC on the other hand seemed to allow Apprentice for Magic, and I think even encouraged it a bit, at least from what I saw of the original Apprentice site. Then, when WotC made Magic online avaialble (or is it not out yet?), Apprentice seemed to become a moot point as far as competition, since their official online Magic is pretty awesome and hard to compete with (at least the demo I saw).

Now with SWTCG, they seem to not mind it as well. I just hope LFL will let them make an official version as smoking as the Magic one! They might, because we are in the digital age now, and the original SWCCG license was awarded in 1994-1995, befroe the net was mainstream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.