main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Playstation 3 Games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lee_, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I am getting a PS3 this week, and am looking for some help on what games to get. The last video gaming system I had was during the OT, and it was Atari 2600 (yeah, way back then). When asked about video games I like, I throw out Pac Man, Galaga, Joust, Zaxxon, Asteroids, etc. (yes, kids laugh).

Obviously, I am WAY outdated, thus I made this thread to get some help. So here it is:

1) First and foremost, please tell me the best Star Wars games on PS3. If I could get a little list, with some descriptions, that would be awesome. Do any of them include flying/battling in spaceships (not the only thing I am looking for, just an interest)?

2) What the best of the best as far as other games go? Again, I am not limited to this by any means, but if there are any cool flying games or spaceship battle games of any kind, please let me know. Any time you could put into giving descriptions would be much appreciated.

3) I hear there are discs that have multiple old school games on them like the ones I mentioned from the 80's, is that true?

4) Any other helpful hints or tips you would give a noob about the PS3? I like the idea that it plays Blu-ray, DVD, and CD. Also, isn't it a good way to play your MP3's with a digital connection to your receiver? Playing them through an IPod or MP3 player on a home stereo is merely an analog connection, which I always thought was lame.

2. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    1) All console Star Wars games are published by LucasArts, as far as I'm aware, so have a look at the list on their site. For some reason the first The Force Unleashed game isn't listed for PS3, even though there was a PS3 version released.

If you would like to play through a whimsical and funny take on the saga, you should try Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. There hasn't been any flight action Star Wars games released in a long time. If you think you would be a fan of a flight game with deeper simulator style controls, you should look into the old X-Wing and TIE Fighter games of the early 90s for PC. If you think you would appreciate a more arcade-ish action oriented game that is easier to control, you should try Rogue Squadron, which is a little more recent and also on PC. As to how to get a hold of these old gems, that you will have to ask someone else for advice for, because I have no idea. I would only have proposed something illegal anyway. :p

2) This depends on the genres you like. Having been away from gaming for such a long time, you may not even know what you like. :p But as far as flying and spaceship battle games go, there are some regulars here who could recommend some good titles. It's not a particularly favoured genre for me, so I don't know.

3) This is true. There is, for instance, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. But most of the classic compilations are only released online for download. Check the PlayStation Store. Namco Museum Essentials and Metal Slug Anthology are some of the ones available.

Lee_ likes this.
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Thanks a lot for the advice/info.

Yes, since I am a finder of MP3's, programs and movies online; I do believe I know what you would propose at the end of #1.

Life likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Online TV services feature gets a lot of use by me and my wife!

As to games, if you want a great, cheap retro fun with great graphics download After Burner Climax.

For a unique experience in gaming, Flower is recommended, another download title.

For some really smart future racing, Wipeout HD is excellent. For more traditional fare, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit will likely cover it.

For action, oh so many, few recommendations:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves: An interactive action movie with excellent characterisation and set-pieces, the train levels remain unequalled. Heard good things about its sequel but not yet played.

Assassin's Creed II / Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: Wonderful period adventure in Rennaisance Italy, with very well-realised environments.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma II: Think you're hard-core gamer? Play this. It'll kick your arse if you ain't as good as you think you are.

(If you find this easy go to Demon's Souls / Dark Souls - those WILL whup you!)

Yakuza 3 / 4: If you like old-style beat 'em ups, then this is the new version with some incredibly brutal moves - plus smashing somebody with a bike never gets old. Quirky but worth a look.

Batman: Arkham Asylum / Arkham City: If you've ever wanted to be Batrman, get these! They truly deserve their rep.

Bayonetta: Want to play an action game that's insanely creative and fun? Go here. You'll end up doing stuff you can't believe and loving it.

Shooting stuff:

Killzone 2 / 3: Stunning first person shooters that drop you into a warzone that actually feels like one!

Bulletstorm: Very fun, very creative due to the skillshot system which rewards creative killing! e.g. Shoot a guy in the nuts, then, as he's screaming, head shot him - that's Mercy.

Roleplays:

Final Fantasy XIII: An acquired, love-it-or-loathe-it game - I liked it, but not the sequel.

Elder Scrolls IV / V: Both are truly massive, quite open-world games where a large part of the fun is exploring the sheer size of the world. Fallout 3 is similar, but is post-apocalyptic and has guns.

Think this list will do you for now.

5. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    If you like a good Space RPG, the Mass Effect trilogy should be released soon on PS3. It uncludes all 3 games, with over 75 hours of story content, you should definitely chech out Mass Effect if you havent' it has a pretty interesting universe, and i find it personally almost as good as the SW universe :)

The Ratchet and Clank games, are also a fun scifi, platformer. It has a more cartoony and funny style, but they are quite interesting and relaxing. Just recently they released a HD trilogy of the older PS2 Ratchet and Clank games, for the PS3. So you can play those before playing the newer PS3 ones.

The Force Unleased are the only good PS3 star wars games that comes to mind, the first was pretty good imo, the other was also good but way too short. Still the games are good, and interesting especially for SW fans as us :D

6. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    If you like point-and-click adventure games, definitely get the Monkey Island special edition collection. I hear the Back to the Future game is supposed to be good.

For artsy relaxing games, download Flower, Journey and The Unfinished Swan. Have a look at Sound Shapes as well. Also consider Prince of Persia (2008). It fits better in this category than the action adventure category.

For artsy, but not as relaxing games, definitely pick up the ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD collection re-release, as well as Okami HD. Perhaps consider El Shaddai, although I didn't find it as compelling.

For action adventure games, as mentioned, the Uncharted series is essential on PS3. The God of War series is acclaimed and popular. Infamous is a lot of fun. As is Just Cause 2. While you're at it, download Hydrophobia: Prophecy. It's pretty good, and last time I checked it was a dollar on PlayStation Store, so even if you didn't like it, it's inconsequential.

For more emphasis on story, but still in the action category, consider L.A. Noire, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the Mass Effect trilogy, the Assassin's Creed series, Red Dead Redemption and perhaps Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. The final one I mentioned doesn't have a that strong story, but its presentation is very strong for a platform brawler. The voice acting is top notch.

In first person shooters, Call of Duty: Black Ops, I'm told has a compelling narrative. Vanquish is an absolute blast. Crysis is fun. Duke Nukem Forever is a funny title with an ironic look at action movie heroes, but not exactly on the cutting edge as far as gameplay goes. These three are all quite different from one another, however, so do some research into them first. Additionally, The Orange Box is a bargain in this category. Definitely look that up.

Driving games-wise, Burnout Paradise is a good title. As is Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, as already mentioned. The new Need for Speed: Most Wanted is reminiscent of Burnout in a lot of ways, with the addition of police chasing you, so you might want to opt for that instead. If you want a more grounded simulator experience, then as far as PlayStation goes, Gran Turismo is the best you can go with. Driver: San Francisco is arcadey driving mixed with a crime story, basically inspired by action flick car chase scenes.

And that concludes my suggestions. For other genres, I leave it to the rest of the Games regulars to fill you in. ;)

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Thanks a million dudes, this will get me going, I'm going to have to start downloading and renting some of these; a lot of cool stuff to check out.

Looks like they have come a long way since Pac Man, LOL.

Any more suggestions, please post.