main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plead your one idea to J.J.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    No Tatooine, please. Or at the very least, no cantina revisit. I want the universe to feel vast and somewhat unknowable, as opposed to a fan pandering nostalgia tour.

2. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004

I agree, but I would bet my house that it is in the PT.

3. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    No EU stuff and please keep the new movies closer in spirit to the OT vice the PT.

RobShanti likes this.
  4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'd be upset if the ST didn't include Tatooine. Say what you want about it being insignificant, but it's really the heart of Star Wars, and every visit in the saga so far has made perfect story sense, so I don't see why it couldn't continue to fit organically into the story. As for the cantina, I could take it or leave it, but the only time it's been revisited so far is in the Holiday Special, so it isn't like it's been overdone.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Dear J.J.

WE NEED TO GO BAAAACK

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Please no unnecessary fan pandering that doesn't fit into the story, but is only there for the pure sake of being there-so that fanboys and kids can point to the screen and say "hey it's ____________!!" apart from the big three, of course, which I would imagine would have some story relevance. and also apart from locations and vehicles, there's no need to shoehorn much else from the past, and

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do not "resurrect" anyone!!

Plagueis doesn't count, having not really needed "resurrecting."

Also please don't basically make a carbon copy of the OT stylistically and tonally, and completely ignore the existence of the PT. please include elements that harken back to both eras...

Darth Raiden and Diggs like this.
  7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    JJ Abrams didn't write the story, and isn't writing the script. Pls keep this in mind, people.

8. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    JJ No Lens Flares! Pleeeeeeeeease! [face_praying]

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    J.J.: Please find a way to shoehorn in the kids' zombie movie from Super 8. Just for the hell of it.

10. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    It was bound to come up sooner or later, so I might as well get in my two cents about it while I can, because it is at least relevant to this topic. Personally (and I would imagine I'm in the majority on this) I think one here and there can be very effective, but he did go way overboard with them in ST (haven't seen his last two movies so I don't know how bad it was in those). Oddly enough, I didn't notice them when I was watching it and engaged in the story, but when I watched it again with the audio commentary on it became painful to look at. But honestly I don't think we have to worry about that on Episode VII... he seems pretty aware of the negative reaction to it and the importance of getting the style of this film right. And I say that even as someone who doesn't have the utmost confidence that he will pull it off.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Two lens flare shots that come to mind are the appearance of the Falcon during the Death Star Battle in ANH, and the opening shot of ROTS. I'm sure there are more.

Jedirush2112 and darthfettus2015 like this.
  12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    The only single thing I plead JJ Abrams is to keep the opening and ending crawl. I could care less about any other creative license ideas. No opening shot before the crawl, no after-credit scene. The opening must 100% be the same as the last six movies: STAR WARS, Episode VII, title, three or four paragraphs of texts. I don't want any "reinvisioned" ideas coming from the producers to make Star Wars seem fresh and new. Star Wars' opening is the most iconic opening to a movie there is because it's the most effective, simple, and epic.

The plot could be absolutely amazing, but if the opening crawl isn't right then this simply isn't a proper Star Wars movie.

13. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I'd like to be a little more militant about it than you, and insist on three paragraphs only. The crawls have always been three paragraphs in length and follow certain general rules: the first paragraph sets up the overall universe of the story (what galaxy we're in, and whether it's a calm galaxy or not); the second sets up the major story points (who's fighting who, what the story conflict is usually about, etc.); the third sets up the story at the level of individual characters (primarily the characters about to be introduced in the opening scenes) so as to segue directly into the film itself.

And by the way, JJ, when you pan away from the opening crawls, PAN DOWNWARD ONLY. None of this panning UP crap that we saw in AOTC for no reason at all when the opening shot could have been just as easily accomplished by panning down. 'Kay?

RobShanti likes this.
  14. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    To the future? :)

purplerain likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No to the Island! Locke was right!

16. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Whatever you do, DO NOT listen to that "Dear JJ Abrams" video.

Dasan, FRAGWAGON, mes520 and 3 others like this.
  17. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Feel free to ignore any of Lucas' more idiotic ideas. Trust me, he'll have them!

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Vote for Hilary 2016 Mr. Abrams!

19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Dear J.J., Please take time out of your busy schedule to come make me lunch. I'm a very picky eater but I'm also lazy and I want my lunch. Pronto.

20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Totally off-topic, but this same argument could be made for the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman...

Which I have decided- for that reason, I will give him a chance.

okay sorry for the interruption... Aaaaannnddd back to Star Wars!

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    All right Mr. Abrams, I'm ready for my close-up.

[​IMG]

22. Nenim Chela

Nenim Chela Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2013

If Arndt's presence is filling me with any misgivings, it'll be because of hsi connection to "Oblivion", a movie that was too implausible even by genre standards (or maybe not implausible, but that it took too many liberties with even genre conventions and movie logic). If we're to take his at his word when he says that he plans to embrace the inherent absurdity and implausibility of SW, then Arndt intends to continue on this fashion with his scripts for the ST. [face_nail_biting]

23. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The article you refer to about Arndt embracing the absurdity & implausibility of SW was an April 1 joke, it's not for real.

24. Nenim Chela

Oct 2, 2013
    Are you serious??? Totally fell for it... -phew- Still, his connection to "Oblivion" was no joke.

25. Nenim Chela

Oct 2, 2013
    Here's my one idea for J. J.: Don't blow anything up in the third act this time! Forget GL's literal minded rhyming scheme, it didn't work in TPM when the Empire didn't exist yet, it won't work in Episode 7 when the Empire will have ceased to exist. Try stopping something from blowing up thus time--like the New Republic or the GFFA or whatever.

Immortiss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.