main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Please Cast Appropriately Aged Actors!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LunarMoth, Jan 1, 2013.

1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Being as specualtion isthat the ST will/could center around the children of either Luke or Leia, I hope they cast actors who are the right age for those parts.

Let me explain what I mean:

I'm a 70's-80's kid. I grew up on Star Wars, Grease, Back to the Future, and so on..... Back then, unless it was just me, actors who played high school kids didn't look like kids. Most of the time they were actors in there 20's or even 30's. When you look back at those movies, they work WAY better than using 16 year olds to play 16 year olds.

Case at point: Grease vs. High School Musical.

If you watch Grease now, it holds up way better, even though the "kids" dont look like "kids". If you watch HSM now, the kids look like babies, and their performances reflect that.

Not sure if I'm making my point clearly, but I hope you get the drift.......

What do you think?

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I tend to agree. Hamill was what, 25 when he was filming ANH? Fisher was only 19 or 20, but her own wit and intelligence made up for her youth. And Ford, of course, was in his mid-30s

When you cast older, you don't have to hunt for "the mature 18 year old" (a big challenge) because instead you're looking for "a mature 25 year old who can play an 18 year old", say, which is much, much easier to find.

3. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Even without the movies, look at TV shows. Happy Days and Welcome Back, Kotter immediately spring to mind. Always better to "cast older, play younger" imo.

4. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    They probably will cast 20s since they can be worked longer.

HSM was a rarity, if you look at most modern "teenagers" from 'Smallville' to 'Glee', the actors are anywhere from 6 to 10 years older than their characters. Tom Welling was 24 playing 14 yr old Clark Kent. Cory Monteith was 26 playing 16 Finn. And for the new Spider-Man movie Andrew Garfield was 26 when he was cast as Peter Parker and will be 30 when the second film comes out.

The women tend to be younger, as I recall Lea Michele was 22ish and Emma stone 21 when cast. Kristen Kreuk was I think 19ish.

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I dont care about age as much as I do ability to act, a good director, and a good story line

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Lost in Translation style. Johansson was still a teenager playing an early 20s character who kind of had the demeanor of a 35 year old.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed. If they can just, for the love of god, not screw these elements, (plus good writing,)up this time out, everything else can be forgivable.

8. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Seconded. The characters age probably isn't going to be addressed in the film, so It's not an essential detail to have the actor be the characters age.

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I prefer an all infant cast, I don't want to see some old, fat wrinkled lady playing Princess Leia.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I do tend to agree. I think casting older to play younger is a much safer bet than casting an eighteen year to play an eighteen year old. Still, you don’t want it to look ridiculous. You can’t get a bunch of thirty year olds to play eighteen or nineteen year olds. I think that is a bit too much.

11. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    The children of the big three could easily be in their 30s by now, so it's a moot point anyway.

Of course, being in my 30s myself - I wouldn't mind an audition. ;)

12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    People are just younger now, so to speak, with that whole "40 is the new 30" crap.
    Look at Top Gun and Beverly Hills Cop. Tom Cruise and Eddie Murphy were 23 in those movies. Try finding a 23 year old to play those roles, even though those characters were young and impetuous, they still had a certain maturity to them. If those movies were made now, they'd be played by 30+ year olds.

13. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I don't think it will be much of a problem, because the Solo kids will probably be in their 30's. That will be an issue however if they decide to use Ben. As long as they can act, young actors are okay by me.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like this post because the first shot of Johansson in Lost in Translation is her in her underwear!