main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PLEASE EXPLAIN...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JSimo2, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSimo2

JSimo2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2004
    Hi,
    I was wondering if any willing person here would like to tell me what the OC Eiditon of the trilogy is apposed to the CE Edition (I think it is-Classic Editions?)

What was the difference between the 1997 and 2000 releases of the movies?

Basically, what are ALL the versions available and what are the differences in them?

Also, I hear the emporer in Emporer Strikes Back isn't Ian Mcdirmad... so has this been changed in the upcoming DVD release AND in Return of the Jedi was that Ian Mcdirmad?

I may sound like I have NO idea about Star Wars but I do love it and would LOVE this explained! Thanks!

Josh

2. Darth_Oracle

Darth_Oracle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Welcome to the boards, and try This Thread!

DARTH ORACLE ? DARK LORD OF THE SITH |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

3. JSimo2

JSimo2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2004
    Thanks, I was reading through it before I posted the initial post but it doesn't directly answer my questions. Could you help me out? Anyone?

4. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    What was the difference between the 1997 and 2000 releases of the movies?

One has a blurb about AOTC. The other doesn't.

Basically, what are ALL the versions available and what are the differences in them?

I'm not sure I'm 100% accurate, but here's what I know:

1992 Release: Rerelease of original films. No enhancements whatsoever. Movie boxes contain original poster art.

1995 Release: Rerelease of original films featuring sound and dialogue clean up. Movie boxes contain new artwork with a close face up of a character. (ANH: Vader. ESB: Yoda. Jedi: Trooper)

1997 Release: Release of Special Edition films. Movie boxes containing Special Edition poster artwork.

2000 Release: Rerelease of Special Edition films. Each movie contains a ten minute piece about AOTC.

Also, I hear the emporer in Emporer Strikes Back isn't Ian Mcdirmad... so has this been changed in the upcoming DVD release AND in Return of the Jedi was that Ian Mcdirmad?

No. It was the combination of an New York Actress, makeup, monkey eyes and Clive Revill's voice. And yes, Ian was the Emperor in ROTJ.

5. JSimo2

JSimo2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2004
    Thanks for the answer!

Is it true that for the DVD Ian Mcdirmad redid the ESB scene as the empire? Are there any other changes for the DVD that we know of?

6. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm probably wrong, but didn't the 2000 release have very, very, very slight changes?

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    None that I know of. I've seen that edition, but I didn't pay attention to tiny background details. If anything bigger than that, like a computer display, had been upgraded, I would have noticed.

The DVD edition of TESB will indeed feature Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine. Here is a pic!
    Another upgrade that I know of is the effect on the star destroyer that gets hit by the ion cannon. Before, it was a yellowish light, now it's more green. I heard this from dk.starwars.nu, a danish fansite that just recently got the opportunity to take a look at TESB and ROTJ on DVD! Hopefully, they'll have a look at ANH as well before too long.

8. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    didn't the 2000 release have very, very, very slight changes?

Well, kinda. In that the sound on the UK sets was CRAP. If you pump it through the hi-fi it's absolutely appalling, crackling all over.
    I took my set back and exchanged it, but the new one was exactly the same :rolleyes:. All it means in real terms is that my 1997 set gets more wear and tear, but there ya go ;) It still looks good on the shelf and it'll matter even less in September.

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9. 3263827

3263827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999
    The 2000 release had at least one minor change that I know about.

In ANH, on the Death Star when R2D2 is getting a read-out of where the tractor beam generator is, so Obi-Wan can turn it off, there was originally some dialogue by C3PO while there was a close-up of the screen zeroing in on the tractor beam. This dialogue was removed from the Special Editions, and re-added into the 2000 re-release.

The 1995 version is currently my favorite version. Typically known as the "THX" version as it was the first time (on VHS) that it was optimized for THX.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, kinda. In that the sound on the UK sets was CRAP. If you pump it through the hi-fi it's absolutely appalling, crackling all over.
    I took my set back and exchanged it, but the new one was exactly the same

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that :( The sound was just fine on my versions, although of course the DVD versions will absolutely smoke the VHS versions.

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    On my ANH SE, there is Threepio dialogue while the camera closes up on the map.

12. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    Actually on the 95 version, Vader is on ANH, STORMTROOPER on ESB, and YODA on ROTJ, not ST on jedi and yoda on esb.

Sorry. I'm picky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.