main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Please give me your opinions....

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by Darth-Bubba, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Hi guys,

I am going to be visiting your wonderful homeland in early September or late August. I am very much excited about my trip.

I wanted to find out if it is worth it to come early and see the Edinburgh Tatoo festival? Is it a fun event? Worth seeing? Is the event only a millitary festival, or do civilians enjoy as well.

Also, do you guys have an opinion on any distilleries aboslutley worth seeing, or not seeing. I definitely wanted to see Dalmore, Bowmore, Macallan, and Glen Grant. (not in that order) Hopefully Oban too. Mainly, wanted to focus on Speyside and Highland regions.

Thank you very much for any assistance.

Darth-Bubba/ Marshall Naiman
    City Rep, Los Angeles, California, United States

P.S. How likely am I to get my wife to attend more than 2-3 tours? Do women enjoy the distilleries too?
    (not to be sexist, but rather to keep my traveling partner happy)

2. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    the Edinburgh Tattoo is very much a show for all the family....
    like a mixture of military and circus.
    and of course, its in the grounds of Edinburgh Castle, high above the city, and its all lit up and spectacular. Highly recommended.

Up Speyside way, the distilleries try quite hard to accomodate tour parties You know the sort of thing ? gift shops, cafes, and all that.
    It could still be a bit boring unless yir partner is a whisky enthusiast.

You do know that Bowmore is produced on the island of Islay ? Ferries and stuff to get over, but there are several other malts distilleries once you get onto Islay.

3. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Thank you Mr. DankDork! I was begining to think you folks were all asleep over there!

Is there a distillery or Castle which is a MUST see? Figure, I have 8 days.

thanks

4. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    well, if you go to the Tattoo, you'll see Edinburgh and its castle, which is fine, but the best use of your time after that would be to get out of the urban belt and head up the west coast.

If you are driving, take the car on the motorway from Edinburgh towards Stirling, where there is another good hilltop castle and the Wallace monument, which is a rather striking LOTR type tower.

Through stirling, you'll find the enjoyably convoluted road to Oban, which is a lovely wee west coast town, and the main ferry port for the islands.

From there, you can get to Islay, a medium-sized island where you will find Bowmore and seven other quality distilleries all within half an hour's drive of each other, plus lots of scenery.

if you still have energy left after that, go further up the west coast to Fort William, and round the glens up there you'll fnd more distilleries and some spectacular loch-side castles.

If you have any more energy left, from there you could cut eastwards across the country along the Loch Ness faultline, taking you towards Balmoral and Speyside and the Black Isle, all of which are dotted with places to visit, but are less awesomely montainous than the west.

From there, you could quickly come back down the much straighter East coast road (A9) to get back to edinburgh, return your car and catch yir plane home......

in summary, go to Ednburgh, go to Oban, go to Islay.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Right, so would those same suggestions still apply in, oh, say, October? Because there's a chance I might be able to go there for a bit next fall. :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    barring a thermonuclear exchange during the summer, i expect Edinburgh, Oban and Islay all to still be there in october, yes.

the edinburgh tattoo, however, is only on for three weeks in eary summer, although the castle is open for tourism year round.

if you are asking about the likely weather in october, you must appreciate that we are talking about Scotland, where the forecast, excluding the first two weeks in June, is for rain.

7. darth_libido

darth_libido Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2004
    ahh the edinburgh tatoo, as opposed to the glasgow one, of which i have three! :eek:

8. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    HELP HELP HELP please
    Can someone recommend a good Bed and Breakfast in Edinburgh? (for August) Anything reasonable, safe and clean.

The one I liked was 80 UK for 2 people. (Dunedin Guesthouse) Is that high? It Seemed high to me. Also, if you feel like helping a fellow Star Wars fan out, a B&B in Oban and Islay?

Thank you so much in advance.

9. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    good god, it looks like the mass Star Wars-fan-tourism exodus to Scotland in the fall of 2004. As the ***** around here know, I'll be in Edinburgh for a couple of months starting in September. How long I'll be there fluctuates weekly, but I'll be there for at least two months.

Well I'll be around so if our trips match up to either of you guys, let me know!

10. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    hrmmmm
    £40 a head for an Edinburgh B&B at the height of the tourist season is not particularly unusual, y'know.
    But if you want to shop around, google for Edinburgh accomodation ? there are sites and sites full of it. As for 'safe'. this is Edinburgh we are talking about, not Beirut. The areas where there are B&Bs are all touristy bits.

I stand by my original Oban recommendations, but again, contact the tourist information office in Oban and they will be able to gve you a list of the numerous B&Bs in and around the town.

Hi Cari [face_love]
    I am vastly amused by your affectionate use of the word "*****" [face_laugh]
    however, I would caution against its use in day-to-day conversation....
    '****' is directly equivalent the the american noun '****', just as '****ing' is directly equivalent to the US verb '****ing' :D

11. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Oh Danky, my love, I know what "****" means. I know better than to use it unless amongst friends. But I'm glad you're watching out for me.

Although I don't have a specific date yet, but start the countdown:
    6 months until I'm in Edinburgh.

[face_love] Danky

12. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    where I will continue your education [face_devil]

[face_laugh]

13. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Oooo you tease [face_love]

Is it too early to ask if you have any cute, tall. lanky, pasty male friends you wouldn't mind introducing me to? ;)

14. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    well, there is Dave * :D

(*Dave = me with false moustache and wedding ring off) [face_devil]

anyway, infidelity doesn't count if its with someone from a different continent ..... [face_laugh]

15. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    I thought infidelity didn't count if it was on a different continent.

Oh btw, I don't like facial hair ;)

16. AngelaJade

AngelaJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2003
    I've found this website helpful when looking for hotels in Scotland...

http://www.hotelreviewscotland.com/

:)

17. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Am I correct I can only bring two bottles of booze back, per adult?

If this is true, I was told to ship back bottles. Suggestions where/how to go about?

By the way, I got my tickets to the Edinburgh Tattoo Fesitval. I am attending the last Friday show. Any advice about the event?

18. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    Can someone give me their opinion on The Argyllshire Gathering? Is it a division, or section of the Highland Games? Our B&B in Oban, (Thanks Mr. DanDork)
    is very close to this gathering.

I was told this is a must see. Please comment?
    Advice on the games?

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Now we are almost definitely coming over in the fall. Say, someone just want to forgo the niceties and just flat out plan my trip for me? You can pay for it, too. Come on, something for a fellow SW fan... ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    [face_plain]

yir getting nae more advice out o' me until you stop calling me 'Dan Dork'

[face_laugh]

21. darth_libido

darth_libido Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2004
    i'm elevating dankdonk to LairdDankdonk!

who says? me!

22. Darth-Bubba

Nov 11, 2002
    my appologies Mr. DankDonk. My typing skills are often lacking...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.