Please look at this beatiful picture.

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldbubbly Jedi Master

star 4
    that's really gorgeous
  2. Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, yes! To Mastadge you listen!
  3. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Look at it this way, some of those American lights are Gore and Nader people burning the midnight oil, trying to figure out a way to make the picture pitch black.
  4. Blue_10 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm disgusted at the amount of energy being wasted! Do you know how clearly I could see the stars in Algonquin? You can only see the sky's true beauty from a place like that. Here in Ohio, they look so dim. (sigh.)
  5. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    That's not being wasted.

That picture is a composite of pictures taken when it was night in those places.

Also, those lights are there so people don't crash into each other on the highways, so that people can go about their night jobs, bustling cities never sleep, so their lights are always on.

Okay?

It is NOT being wasted.
  6. Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The biggest sources of light polution are the parking lots of the movie theaters and wal-marts. If we had different types of light fixtures we would be able to see the stars much better.
  7. Ki-Edi-Mundi Jedi Master

star 4
    I never noticed how much Spain and Portugal looks like a lizard's head before. :)
  8. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

i think puerto rico should get an honerable mention for being a small island that's so bright.

and the one time i was somewhere where there were NO lights or major cities around for probably at least 30-40 miles, the mosquitoes were so bad that i couldn't go outside at night to see the stars. so it's a give-or-take.
  9. The-Cow-Goes-Moo Jedi Master

star 4
  10. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

I can see my house from here!

AYBABTU?

11. R2RNOT Jedi Knight

star 3
    Light pollution is so darn beautiful. I'd rather be able to look up and see all the stars in the sky and the Milky Way, thank you.
  12. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

i live on a street with no streetlight, which is very dangerous to drive down late at night due to the deer population in the neighborhood. if i want to see stars, i'll leave the city. but while in the city, i'd rather have safety than the ability to see the milky way.
  13. Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling

star 4
    There's my mom's house...and there's my dad's!
  14. R2RNOT Jedi Knight

star 3
    I understand saftey is an issue. It's just that better choices in lighting fixtures can be made, so the sky doesn't get flooded with light, and it's directed where it's needed. In the town I live in we already had streetlights, then they added these fancy old-fashioned looking ones, that must have 10,000 watt halogen bulbs in them. They didn't remove the old ones either. It's completely wasteful and obnoxious. Makes me want to shove my telescope up the mayor's you know what.

15. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I can totally understand that. I live in New York, and the sky here never gets any darker than a deep-purplish color. The worst thing is I know that the light pollution problem has gotten noticeably worse even within my lifetime. I remember being able to see more stars than this when I was little.
  16. Ender Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The stars in the sky at my Uncle's cabin make that pic seem lame. Usually get the northern lights as well.
  17. The_Chim Force Ghost

star 6
    I wish I had a house so i could see its lights, but truly is a nice pic! :)

NIFTY!
  18. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

ohhh! i've always wanted to see the northern lights. but seeing as i live in texas, it doesn't really happen.
  19. wadda_u_know Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That pic is now my desktop, it's really beautiful... and all you cynical Amish wannabes, artificial light is necessary when it gets dark. What, do you expect the world to be lit with candles?
  20. IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Master

star 4
    My night vision is perfectly fine until somebody shines a flashlight into my eyes. :mad:
  21. Simone Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM HERE!!!!
    AHHH!!!!
    !!!!
    !!!!
  22. B'omarr Force Ghost

star 6
    Damn, Dallas is bright.

I thought Paris was the city of lights, but it looks like Tokyo takes that title now.
  23. Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    That is the ugliest thing I've ever seen... What is it? 8-}
  24. B.J. Zanzibar Force Ghost

star 5
    Take a look at North Korea, especially compared to its neighbors. No better proof than that, that they're living in the dark ages.

Light pollution is a serious problem, but being the technocrat, I believe the solution is the application of more technology, not less. Streetlights that focus their energy downward, where its actually useful, are already making their way into our cities. I believe Phoenix may even require them.
  25. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    Look at the Afghanistan region. I bet most of those lights ain't on any more!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.