main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Please read: A note on EU and the OT.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Commander Antilles, Sep 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    IronParrot has already been over this, but since it seems to have been ignored by several people and several threads have started on this subject recently, I'll just restate it briefly.

a. For all intents and purposes, EU is not on the same level as the OT.
    b. EU cannot be used as undisputed fact in a debate on the OT.
    c. Turning threads into canon v EU wars is not allowed.

You're free to disagree with this as much as you like, but bear in mind that this is now official admin policy.

2. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    That's an acceptable policy. I like the EU, but I mostly agree with that.

3. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Thanks for trying to keep these EU fanatics in line.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Your first statement is incorrect, Commander Antilles. The EU is most definitely on the same level as the movies.

5. Icefire_Queen

Icefire_Queen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2001
    <applauds Commander Antilles>

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Pretty close-minded if you ask me. I keep EU discussion to Lit as much as I can, but I occasionally mention it in other forums, including PSA, and most people don't really mind.

I think the specific barring of something as harmless as mentioning books and comics is a bit silly.

7. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Its not banned from being mentioned, just from being used as a point of fact when talking about the OT.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    But which is more reliable: A published, official source, or someone's imagination? The published source, obviously.

Speculating on what happens in the Star Wars universe without reading the EU is exactly like speculating what was going to happen in TPM before it came out:

My original speculation for TPM was that the Emperor was very much a direct threat to the galaxy, and I thought that Anakin would have been a lot older. Then TPM came out and it shattered a lot of my speculation.

Until I saw the film, I considered my speculation to be correct because there was nothing that said otherwise at the time. This is just like speculating without reading the EU; you may think that your idea is correct, but if the EU says otherwise, then you are wrong.

It's really pretty simple, when you think about it.

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Yep. And we can be civilised about it. Using the EU in a debate is not an insult or a threat of any kind. If we had our choice, we wouldn't use it here, I think. It just answers a ton of Classic trilogy questions, such as how big the Empire is, how many Star Destroyers there are, who the cantina aliens are, how much time passed between ESB and ROTJ etc. etc.

10. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    but if the EU says otherwise, then you are wrong.

Is that what you call civilized? Because statements like that are the reason for this policy because people who neither like or accept the EU don't like having it shoved down their throats.

11. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    In reference to
    "b. EU cannot be used as undisputed fact in a debate on the OT."

Could we be able to use EU info but then state that it is EU.
    That way, the EU supporters can think "Oh, that sorted that debate" and the canonists can continue with the debate and disregard that post.

Just a suggestion though...

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    As I said, TPM may have blown apart the foundations of some of my speculations, so why can't the EU do the same for you guys? They're both Star Wars, so I don't see what the big difference is.

Also, there are no continuity errors between the EU and the movies; if you find any, they are merely the product of your not doing enough research on the subject.

Because the EU does not contradict anything, it can be taken as correct.

13. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    I think you should pay closer attention to:

c. Turning threads into canon v EU wars is not allowed.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    This isn't a war; I am merely stating facts. It's not my fault if certain close-minded individuals can't accept the truth.

15. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    While that is true, I think what CA is saying, and what IronParrot certainly did say, is that EU based fact should not be used to contradict, or to start a validity argument with someone who engages in, OT speculation.

16. ewingsquadron

Mar 5, 2001
    We all have our own point of view, just as an old individual once stated. People need to be able to accept other's point of views, or else nothing will ever be accomplished. The truth to one person will not be the same to someone else. It is foolish to think so, and even more foolish for a person to try and force their own point of view onto someone else.

17. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    You can believe whatever you want, whether you are right or wrong in your facts. No one is disbuting that.

18. ewingsquadron

Mar 5, 2001
    You're right. No one is disputing this. However, the problem arrises when someone is called wrong because of what they believe is the truth, when what they chose to believe is an acceptable alternative.

19. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    That's fine. But there's nothing wrong with offering the facts. Someone may want to believe the Earth is flat, but they can listen to those who know it's not, and perhaps think it over and come to a new conclusion.

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I've got a perfect idea for how we can incorporate the EU into this forum:

Whenever a question arises in which it is necessary to delve into the EU for the answer, an EU answer will be acceptable if is the only source available for the answer. For example, see the Cloaking Device thread: the movie does not offer an explanation as to how a cloaking shield works, so we must use an EU answer. Canonists should not dismiss the answer as "EU junk" because it is the official explanation, which has higher "ranking power" over anyone's speculation.

However, don't use EU in your answers unless it is absolutely necessary. If you can answer the question purely by using movie sources, so much the better for all of us.

21. ewingsquadron

Mar 5, 2001
    If teachers give students a choice on whether to believe the Earth is a flat or spherical object, then it would be acceptable to believe either option. This is similar to the stance on EU. The reason I'm making my desicion on the stance of EU, is because LFL has stated this is an acceptable desicion to make.

22. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I just don't like seeing someones speculation shot down because the EU says otherwise.
    Can't the EU be offered as an explanation, as opposed to the definitve answer? It may be official, it may or may not be canon, but I still like to discuss the films, and I don't want that to be stopped because some external source contradicts someones theory or speculation... :)

23. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I agree with Bib.

24. ewingsquadron

Mar 5, 2001
    I agree with the mod.

25. bterrik

bterrik Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2001
    From Gamer #6:
    According to Lucas Licensing Editor Sue Rostoni, "Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays." Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon.

All I have to say. Not an opinion, a statement.

Although, one could discern my opinion with my sig... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.