main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Please read: A note on EU and the OT.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Commander Antilles, Sep 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tropical_Plumber

Tropical_Plumber Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    As much as I hate to admit it, Bib is correct on this one. Lucasfilm Ltd.'s official position is basically that every piece of junk with a SW logo on it is canon. It's no doubt a marketing stategy, but it doesn't change that that is how it is. Of course, we all have our own freedom to disregard that statement and just pay attention to what we want. That's what I do.

George Lucas' (who is not one-and-the-same with LFL) position on canon is a bit more tricky. He's never made any official statement, but he has made is opinion on the issue pretty clear. I think we can all agree that Lucas doesn't like, or at least pays no attention to, EU. The noted TV Guide interview is an example, as are the numerous times that he has said that he doesn't read it and the fact that he didn't find it necessary to research it for the prequels. I think that Lucas, like many of us, considers SW to be his baby and his work is all that counts.

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I'll give you the honest answer DDH. Bib, and other EUers, don't like the statements that say EU isn't canon. Therefore they say they're debunked. I don;t blame them. Soething they love is getting trashed, so they defend it anyway they can.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, so far, the only people that are saying it isn't canon are the movie purists. No source has ever said only the movies are canon, nor has any source said the books are not canon.

4. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    See, DDH? Like that. Never mind that Lucas said it isn;t part of his universe. EUers: But hat would mean EU isn;t canon!!!! Debunked! He obviously didn;t mean what he said!

That's why canon debates are pointless, and thankfully banned in this forum.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Lucas' universe is the movies and the movies alone. They are all he cares about. Therefore, the movies are his universe. Therefore, anything else besides the movies is not in his universe.

Or think of it this way: If I am posting at the JC when I should be doing my homework, the JC posting is my universe, and my homework is outside that little universe that I have set up for myself.

6. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "Lucas' universe is the movies and the movies alone. They are all he cares about."

Well, that's progress.

The homework anaology is awful, though.

7. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, bib, that's where we differ. I look at the final authority on this be Lucas and as long as he doesn't make a statement, I will consider the issue open to debate, no matter what any magazine says. That's the way I feel about it until Lucas says differently.

8. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    And this Bib, is the Original trilogy forum.
    If I have something I wonder about, I want to hear opinions from other star wars fans, I don't give a damn what Barbara Hambly, or the Garfield-Stevenses or any other Ex-Trek writer thinks.
    We want to discuss the films without having a parrot trample out chapter & verse of "The way it is."

Give up, noone who wants to discuss the movies cares whether EU is canon or not.

9. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    LFL will naturally state that the EU is canon. They'd be marketing fools if they didn't. Can you imagine that? "Oh, no, the books aren't canon. They're not at all true, and didn't happen whatsoever. But, please, buy our books!"

Umm... No. LFL's support of the EU novels is expected, and understandable.

The point is, each fan has his/her own idea of where the story goes, beyond the movies. Some folks are only interested in George Lucas' story. Some are interested in *any* story within the universe Lucas created. It's a simple difference of what your scope of interest is.

In terms of the SW "universe", yes, EU is 'canon'. In terms of George Lucas' movies, no, EU isn't canon, because it's not in the movies.

That's that, and that's the end of it. There will be NO canon debates in this forum, period. There will be no blanket EU is the only correct answer statements, and there will be no blanket that's EU, therefor it's crap statements. None. Leave that attitude at the door. This forum is for discussion and speculation of George Lucas' original trilogy SW movies. That's the scope of this forum. If it's not specifically covered in the movies themselves, *everything* is speculatory, but everything is valid speculation, including EU. But nothing, including EU is fact. That's the scope of this forum. If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be posting in this forum. Period.

Vertical

10. ecmbobafetts

ecmbobafetts Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2002
    In this forum called Classic Trilogy I only want GL answers. The OT was written by GL and I go by that.

11. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    "If it's not specifically covered in the movies themselves, *everything* is speculatory, but everything is valid speculation, including EU. But nothing, including EU is fact. That's the scope of this forum. If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be posting in this forum. Period. "

It would be easier if EVERYTHING is valid speculation, including personal views, MOVIES, EU, OT, PT, etc. etc. and NOTHING is fact. Not even if it is covered in the movies themselves.
    Not even the fact that Ben says "The Force will be with you" in ANH.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Vertical wrote:
    "LFL will naturally state that the EU is canon. They'd be marketing fools if they didn't. Can you imagine that? 'Oh, no, the books aren't canon. They're not at all true, and didn't happen whatsoever. But, please, buy our books!'"
    Ummm...that seems to work for Star Trek.... ;)

Anyways, if people really, really REALLY have that big of a woody to debate what is & isn't "canon," then why don't you take it your commentary to this wonderful 540+ post bit of papooky called Canon: The Last Word.

Thank you for your obedience. :p

13. Darth_Biznaccio

Darth_Biznaccio Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002

unbeleivable.

[face_laugh] ROTFLMFAO [face_laugh]

14. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    The only thing I ask... Is that when I am writing along here and I start speculating on what MIGHT have happened here or there for FUN.. I am not slapped with a full out EU explaination in detail as to what happened, when and with who and told that I MUST accept it as truth.

That's it, it's not much.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    There is one thing you must remember:

I only "shove the EU down your throats" when people dispute the answer purely because it is EU. Take a look at any of the threads that I've posted on and you will understand that.

16. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    Sometimes, But I have seen you coming into threads, giving your EU answer, someone saying that sounds dumb, and not liking it... You coming back and aruging that the person MUST ACCEPT IT..(Strangely sounding like the "Resistance is futile" line) and a Canon war ensuses.

By the way, the "Borg" thing was a joke.

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    If people are going to debate the answer, I only ask that they debate the merit of the answer, not the source. All too often, when I give an EU answer, people say "That's EU crap and it doesn't count."

18. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    I could have to do with the WAY you present the info. You state it as absolute fact most of the time, and that can bug people. If you could be like: "Well The EU says this.." or better still, "In my opinion from what I read.." IT would probably be recieved better.

19. RogueSith

RogueSith Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2001
    No way! I love it when he says - "It did happen."

:D

20. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Bib's request is a completely legit one. People should be bashing EU simple *because* it is EU. That can and will be considered trolling.

Vertical

21. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    People should be bashing EU simple *because* it is EU.

LMAO!!! [face_laugh]

And neither should anyone be insisting that EU is indisputable fact, of course...

22. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    All i ever see is Bib presenting his opinion about canon as fact and if we don't like it, then we are ignoring what LFL has stated. But don't forget this: http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20010817.html

and this:

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20000424.html

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I only do that when the EU is disputed purely because it is EU.

If you haven't heard this before, Sansweet's quotes mean nothing when determining the EU's canon status.

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    jewlmc wrote:
    "I could have to do with the WAY you present the info. You state it as absolute fact most of the time, and that can bug people. If you could be like: 'Well The EU says this..' or better still, 'In my opinion from what I read..' IT would probably be recieved better."
    Well I've gotta say that I totally agree with jewlmc on this point. Basically, she...
    SCREEEEEEEEEEEECH!!!!!
    WTF? [face_shocked]
    Holy Charisma Carpenter! I just agreed with jewlmc! :confused:

*Nervously checks Book of Revelations, sub-referencing "Signs of the Apocalypse"*

"...Lo, and the seas shall become as fire, and the moon shall be as blood, and Merkurian and jewlmc shall be in agreement..."

Oh crap! NOW we've done it! :D

25. Wesmin7

Wesmin7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2001
    'Galactic government AFTER ROTJ?, and 'Death Star Destroyed... but what about the rest of the Fleet?' the Forums have tons of these 'what if' or 'what happens next' questions, how do some people expect that people who have read the EU will respond, possibly by stating something from the EU? It is not only possible it is very likly and has happened, and what happens when they do? They get told how crapy the EU is. The new system doesn't work as well as it could, we can't ask these questions and then riticule someone for stating something from the EU, it is afterall a ralid source of information, and most defindly should be taken as more valid that someones opion who thinks, oh thats not right, OH it's EU now it's CRAP.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.