***Please read*** CR Re-elections - part two - Nominees manifestos and Q&A

Discussion in 'North' started by timbolton, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spike_thmid Jedi Master

star 4
    Well Tim,

What makes a good CR ? To me a CR is there to support all the members of our chapter, ok that sounds like a political sound bite. :oops:

I personally would make sure I was ?there? for all members to contact me for advice/help ? on any level from, guidance on arranging meets (if needed) to just being there if someone needed to chat. A good CR does not necessarily need to post on EVERY thread EVERY day, sometimes less is more, but keeping an eye on what events our members have suggested and giving a quick bump to upcoming events pitching in with idea?s ? and shutting up if butting in too much !! Taking an interest in all meets ? even if the CR isn?t attending (I?d try to get to as many as possible but money only goes so far) That?s what I think makes a good CR.

The CR represents the Chapter on a whole he/she (though it?s only he?s this time round) should always be looking out for new members, not just in FFUK:N but scouting around all FF looking for lost Northerns and directing them home.

?are you willing to work for your members? That?s why I?m here, I have a great passion for FFUK:N ? I won?t lie to you, I have a full-time job, and an occasional social life ?but- I have a drive to make this place a success. If by working for our chapter you mean take an active day-to-day interest, research suggested meets, tidy the board up when needed, reply to PM?s, welcome new members, then yes. If you mean quit my job & spend 24hrs infront of my laptop then no (unless the RSA is going to match my wages [face_praying])
  2. timbolton Force Ghost

star 5
    24/7 ... 10 peanuts an hour. It's all I can offer, that work? :p
    Real life comes first, everyone appreciates that, and most people have jobs, so no worries on that side. So no panicing on that ;) And you aren't expected to be first to welcome new users, but it would look odd if you didn't welcome them at all, being the first point of contact for the North chapter. So presence in that sense is key. It's all about making this place inviting, and not making new people feel ignored or unwelcome. They don't know you, they won't know your personality.
  3. spike_thmid Jedi Master

star 4

WOW :eek: a pay rise [face_dancing]
  4. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd take that offer Tim :p

As I've said I'm willing to be here, and I think I have something of a presance here already. If anything I want to do this because I want to make people happy.

Who said anything about paid. If I didn't have work or college, I'd happlly do this job full time.

I know this will be more than a hobby, I want to run this as good as you do Tim. Though I don't know if I'm as passionate as you are :p I know I have to respect my voters, they are my bosses after all.

Putting the hours into something I feel I could enjoy doesn't bother me at all.
  5. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    In my humble opinion, being a good CR is about a number of aspects.

The first is about being there for your Chapter Members. I'm willing to do that. If a chapter member wants to talk to me about something; suggest a meet, has a problem and needs advice etc, or even fancies a chat, I will be there, available to them, by PM or MSN, if they want me. A CR isn't about being there, lurking in the shadows keeping an eye on every single thread but not contributing to it. A CR is a member, but they're a member that has a responsibility to look out for their members and what the members want, but that shouldn't make them aloof. They should be right there in the middle, suggesting their own ideas for meets, things that happen online, activities, whatever is discussed.

What I'm trying to say, is that a CR should be there to listen, and then carry out what their members want them to do.

The other aspect is to be the "face" of FFUK: North to the outside world. FanForce is about attracting members, bringing them all together because of their love for Star Wars. If a person who has been wanting to meet like-minded people suddenly finds us here, on this forum, or even at something like GMEX, and finds there is a website out there that brings Star Wars fans together, then the CR of that region should be there, to help them, direct them here, ask any questions that may be asked. There's a little marquee thingy up there under the banner, saying "Contact your CR". It's identifying the person a new member needs to talk to if they need help. The CR has to be that help. I know a lot of members here on the North are very capable of finding their own way on these boards, but if someone isn't, then the person they need to go to is the CR, a CR who is available as often as they can be.

Of course I'm willing, I wouldn't have wanted the job if I wasn't :p Even if I wasn't attending the meet (and believe me, I try and make every Northern meet I can) I would still be there, on the boards, helping out in whatever way I can. I'm a regular user of train services, so I know where to direct members if they need a train, or even if a member comes to me saying they can't make it, I can direct them to members that I know are driving down and could have the room, and then sort it. If a CR can't help his members, what's the use in having one?

And speaking personally, I would like to think I have a unique expertise on these meetings. Having taken a tourism degree, as well as having an A-level in it, and qualifications in customer service and event planning, I know how to spot good destinations; great places to eat, drink and be merry; and find plenty of attractions for us to explore, as well as getting us all down there in one piece and making sure everyone has a really good time.

I would also work for those members online, as well. I take an active interest in the going's on of the board, I always have a look in threads discussing meets that I know I'm not even going to, and I do my best to give a warm welcome to all newcomers. I'm also willing and able to represent FFUK: North and be their voice if any major board issues crop up. In fact, I'll even risk the wrath of our RSA if our idea of what is best for FFUK: North differs from his. Because that is what is important: what's best for FFUK: North.
  6. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    get you hey...lol
    [image=http://www.myfonts.com/images/family/quadrat/spike.gif]
  7. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    I think my main strength is that I don't take things too seriously. Tim, you say the job of a CR can't be a hobby, To me it must be. I value my sense of fun, its whats kept me sane these last few years and its my hope that I project that in everything I do.

You ask, I do what I can to make it happen. Its that simple. I don't like to be in ppls faces, or butt in where i'm not wanted, But if yoiu come to me i'll always listen, if something I do confuses you (most likely) i'll try to explain myself, if you want me to try something then I will, or if needs be bring it to the attention of everyone here.

The worst thing you can do on the internet is assume that you understand everything. I've done it myself (and had it done to me) that i've out a tone on a post that suits my mood, or read a post in a way not intended by the writer, thats why as a CR my msn/pm is always open because I would always encourage people to seek understanding, and in doing so avoid the splits that other chapters have faced in the past.
  8. spike_thmid Jedi Master

star 4
    So anymore burning questions out there to make us nominees scratch our er....heads??[face_thinking]

come on don't be shy :D

just no questions on Physics please I was always poor at Physics at school [face_worried]
  9. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://www.leukaemia.org/images/Cilla-big.gif]
    Question 1 to all contestants then...

* can you give us an example of when you have had to use your organisational skills and how did the example turn out?

* how would you approach a difficult situation, lets say at a meet there is conflict between members?

* how do you maintain momentum when the boards are just just plain quiet at times?

Hmmmmmm. Think on this you must.
  10. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well the last Northwest meet up for one which I set up, and as far as I know it went well, eveyone seemed to enjoyed it.

I would deal with it clamly as I can, and try to resovle what ever the problem was. Talk to them, see why there is a conflict

Start up new threads that people might enjoy posting in, or just maybe post in the social thread to get the ball rolling
  11. spike_thmid Jedi Master

star 4
    crumbs !! I asked for that didn't I

[image=http://www.ukgameshows.com/atoz/programmes/b/blind_date/blinddate3.jpg]

Ok, so far on the boards I was one of the member who helped in getting the 1st Middlesbrough Mini-Meet off the ground (along with Dave & Jase) and I organised & hosted the FFUK:N Star Wars Trivial Pursuit Night. The Triv night went really well apart from "other" spike winning :p http://boards.theforce.net/north/b10739/23307339/p1/?28

But I suppose most of my organisational skills are at work I organise my own workload for site inspections (I am responsible for over 140 schools/offices/elderly person's homes) I need to assure that each property is visited annually/bi-annually/tri-annually and make sure my timetable is stuck to even when un-expected events arise - and they often do in Local Government. These kind of skills I would certainly look to bring over to the role of CR when organising/researching meets etc.

Handling a difficult situation? Well I feel I'm an approachable type of person & if there was ever any tension in our chapter that someone would approach me before things got out of hand. If however things did come to a head, I would listen to both sides - and try to stay neutral. Sometime's listening is a difficult art and having someone there to listen can often defuse a situation. That's all I can say on that as each issue would have to be approached on it's merits, some arguments can be sorted quite easily with a quick chat, some may need the involvement of RSA's (or above) - and if it came to it I would certainly be firm if TOS were servery breached

Maintaining momentum can be difficult. I suppose in the past I have been guilty of popping on FFUK:N seen it's quiet & disappeared again [face_blush] But if voted in as CR I'd have to address that !! Searching google always helps to find interesting stuff to post - even the dreaded questionnaire's/quizzes (which everyone always groans at but they still fill in) Then again I could always employ Dickie to drop in with words of wisdom - he seems to have a certain slant on life !!!
  12. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Well, just letting everyone know that I know what I'm doing.

* can you give us an example of when you have had to use your organisational skills and how did the example turn out?

The charity gig. It went great :p

* how would you approach a difficult situation, lets say at a meet there is conflict between members?

I would treat it very seriously, as a conflict between members isn't good for the boards. I would do my best to be peacemaker, and a neutral party that both members can talk to, and do my best to come to a solution that is best for both sides. I know there is always going to be a chance that members just plain won't like each other, but I'll do my best to make sure that they can at least be civil when they meet.

* how do you maintain momentum when the boards are just just plain quiet at times?

I'll bore you all with excerpts from my fanfics :p

Or I'll at least come up with some topics of interest, talk about what's happening in the North, even try and get the ball rolling on some meet-up ideas. I've noticed this board always seems more active when there is a meet being planned, so I'll always try and keep this place as active as possible.
  13. timbolton Force Ghost

star 5
    Great questions Jase :D Nice replies guys :cool:

Ogli - the hobby comment is not just my own personal POV, as I have explained before it's do with Fan Force and why we even have CRs in the first place. It's a position of responsibility and leadership, as defined by the Fan Force, and some things are expected of you as CR - being a CR is not a hobby (nor is being RSA) since action and inaction is reflected on the community we are building. If you want FF as a hobby, then being a non-titled member is more suited to such a person. If we are to be active, for FF to survive, we need pro-active CRs and RSAs, hence why I have a presence on all the boards, and I keep active. Enthusiasm for a job is half the battle because you'll get people happy to work alongside you because you interested in doing something and doing it with them.

Sie - I doubt an active North CR will ever come into conflict with the current RSA, but make sure the direction you want to take is one your members are happy with. CRs are democratically voted for a reason, because they represent the chapter, but if the direction isn't to the members' tastes, then a change in direction may be needed. All of the feeling about direction above is great - and we come down to three core meet types: social (from cinema trips, meals/drink, activity events, or cultural meets) / chairty / convention. Mix and match too.
  14. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm all for social meets, great way I think to meet cool people. Been trying to think of cool ideas to get us all together :D
    Any plans for Christmas? we should have some kind of Christmas meet.

Anyone else want to field a question? :p [face_worried]
  15. jedi_master_booth Jedi Master

star 3
    Speaking as the Former Uk North Thread Secertary
    Ive seen this Uk North Thread Realy get up and go And I would love to see it move onward and upward [face_peace]
    We have seen it with the number of members joining up and seeing the topics on the boards get thicker with people getting to know each other.

Happily my post went to the wall at York This Year when I finaly stood down after a year in the post!
    But what I have seen is a Great Start to this young Thread And long may it continue to do so.

I feel the Person who get's picked to be the CR needs to work closer with all areas NE & NW
    I sometimes feel both sides of the North are left out a bit -
    The CR should give help and advice to members when needed - I would like to see the North start having more events IE games and BBQ'S with meetings and charity get togther's

The CR needs to be looked on as a member and someone whos fighting for us all with arrangeing projects

I have noticed a fall in group meet ups (mainly because of other projects)but the momentum should be kept going

Ill end or ill go off on it - But I know Who Im Voting for [face_laugh]
  16. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll get to your questions in a mo Jase, Felt so wierd reading them though, quite similar to questions I ask interviewees at work [face_laugh]

Tim, My point is that a CR can be pro-active while still having the job be a hobby, just as your work can also be your hobby, Once you lose the sense of fun, then you run the risk of getting an "whats the point" attitude.
  17. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Well, I'm sure that we'll never come into conflict either, 'cos I think what you're doing as RSA is great. But I need the members to know that I'm not going to be a complete lap dog to all decisions proposed. I'll fight for what is best for FFUK: North, but I'll fight according to what they want, not what I want. I don't foresee any problems, but I'd like to reassure the FFUK: North members that I'd be in their corner if they need me.
  18. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    The boards are a hobby. Star Wars is a hobby and anyone who gets the CR ship should treat it as such.

It's a hobby, no one should ever get wound up over a hobby. People will have different opinions over what they want from the chapter and IMO the role of the CR is to deal with those opinions and get the chepter moving as a group.

The North however is seperated by a really big set of hills in the middle and it can really be noted that we have a NW group and a NE group. That to me isn't a bad thing. For me the West and the East can do their own thing and then get together ever now and again for the big meets (York etc..)

All the CR has to do IMO is coordinate what everone is wanting to do.

The minute you start taking it too seriously though will be the moment you start to not enjoy it and possibly even resent it.

Thats My opinion anyway.

Question

Is Star Wars to be the continued focus for the Northern Chapter or are we to be a Sci Fi/Fantasy fan club with a heavy Star Wars tilt?
  19. timbolton Force Ghost

star 5
    I understand what you are saying to a point Terry, I'll repost the relevant bit of what you just got in a PM.

You don't get a titled position on the FF/JC if you aren't willing to do some work. Members have a lot of say in every aspect of the chapters - but a titled position recognised by the tfn is something different. It's not like being a normal member anymore, there are more rules you have to follow, and stricter guidelines. As RSA for example, the higher ups ask for hours you can commit, so it's not just a hobby any more, it's actually a voluntary job. No one forces you to take the role, but you have to take it seriously else you let people down. CR is similar, but more importantly you are doing it for the people who voted you in. It isn't just a hobby any more, you are responsible to and for people. A hobby is where there is no commitment and no responsibility to others, the CR position has commitment and responsibility. They don't have to be on the boards at any certain hour, that I agree with, but they since they are voted in via members they have to somewhat prove that the vote was worth it. Why become a CR is you just want to post ocassionally and only in a few threads. A CR is there pushing our community, it's not actually the key role of the RSA to do it. That make sense?

The basics of it - members will expect you to work. So will the RSA. Whether that is posting to keep things active, welcoming new people, organising, whatever. Don't go for a title on here if you want to be just a normal poster, it isn't what the titles were set up for. It's not my personal view (and no vendetta on my part, seriously), it's how the Fan Force was actually set up. It was same in US, it's the same here. If you can give a lot of free time for being on the boards or at meets, then stay a member, and enjoy FF that way. There are plenty of people who can do a CR position, and well. And I'll support them in any way then need. But go check a lot of what you'd expect to be big US based FFs - they are inactive. UK is now leading the way in some respects, and that is because members want meets, they want to socially interact with people they chat with on here in real life, and we need CRs who will get this done. We are quite lucky in this way.

Sci-fi / Star Wars - as a group, I welcome in all chat about all aspects of Sci-Fi. But since we are FanForce we are focussed more on Star Wars, but there is room for other things, I'd never say no. What do you have in mind Terry?
  20. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    What I have in mind is not for me to say as I'm not up for the CRship.

Anyone may ask for my opinion via PM re this though. I just want ot know if the potential CR's want this to be Star Wars only OR whether they're open to other influences.
  21. timbolton Force Ghost

star 5
    Terry, as a member of the North - propose the idea (probs best to start a new thread) and then all members can discuss it. You are most welcome to, and North chapter prefers to work in open. That is how North works, everyone gets their say. Let's see how potential CRs feel about it :D
  22. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    I've mentioned it a few times in other threads.

Some like the idea and others have dismissed it.

23. Jairen Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Careful on the leadership part of that Tim. Officially, the CR is the interface between the Chapter and the FanForce (TF.N) boards.

Most chapters/clubs have a separate leadership structure (though many have the VP being the CR as well), but the CR position is about communication between the real world and the boards. I understand that this is not the way the North has their club setup, and that's cool :D, but be careful in saying that FanForce defines the role as a leadership role. It's not, it's a facilitator and communicator role for the will of the club. Bit like an RSA being the admin and helper for what the members of the area want, rather than a leader, as such.

If that means that the North want their CR to be leader to, that's cool, but that's the chapter's will, not FanForce rules.

However, after all that, great responses from all the candidates here, and it looks to me that North is going to be in great hands for the future, regardless of who wins.
  24. Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Knight

star 3
    We should focus on SW imho, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss other sci-fi. Just like we can discuss anything else if we want to, but SW is what brought us here and it's not dead yet. It's not up to the CRs to decide where we go - tis a group opinion.

CRship - define hobby? Some hobbies require effort and dedication, i.e. diving, martial arts, etc.. Other's require basic effort and time, i.e. reading, playing football on a Sunday, etc. A normal poster can be either, but a CR requires dedication because that position is one that needs to be seen to be active, so if the CRship is a hobby then it's one requiring effort and dedication.

As for leadership well that too can be defined in many ways, but hey, it's up to the CR candidates to interpret that, so here is my question:

1. Define "leadership" based on your knowledge of how this chapter currently works.
  25. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    tim and Phill - I think you're talking semantics here.

If someone needs advice from the chapter, or a point of contact, then that's the CR. This could be seen as being a "leader". I don't think Tim means they tell the other chapters members what to do, and they do it LOL
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.