***Please read*** CR Re-elections - part two - Nominees manifestos and Q&A

Discussion in 'North' started by timbolton, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The leadership role I think I am going from threads made by mods dicussing (to posters) how FF works where CRs and leadership go hand in hand. It may have changed, though tbh I think the main point is that there are now two types of clubs here - ones that are FanForce clubs following FF guidelines (and pure FF groups), and clubs where they wanted their own internal structure and as such distanced themselves from the FF to some extent - they keep the CR position as a contact between the tfn mods and themselves, post occassionally, but really are self-governed clubs. They usually have their own non-FF name and identity away from the boards. I know because I was involved with a few US ones like that, and it can get to the stage where that group doesn't really have an interest in being FF any more. That depends on what members want out of this. But CRs within fan force structure as I understand are voted in as the "leader" and liason of the chapter. But it isn't a dictatorship, they are elected, and members have to be consulted. I'll check on that, but I have posted links to where it is discussed before. Basically - if we remain FF with no outside structure, we need the position of authority that tfn provides - the CR. If we make our own structure with another leader who is above the CR within the club, then where does that leave us as a primarily FF group?

It's up to members if we go that route, or stick to being tied in with FF fully. North is becoming big enough to take the self governed but still represented on tfn road. I personally am not sure if we should take that step.

But like Hal said above - its semantics - I am not claiming the "leader" has final say on all decisions, it's a group decision, I am talking more "leadership" where CR tries to get a decision made with everyone happy. Similar to what you say about a facilitator. So I hope I cleared that bit up, I don't mean a person who dictates to others, but will be there to finalise things when we have a general agreement.
  2. Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oy, how dare you two answer my question lol

But, yeah - 10 out of 10 =D=

Blooming heck, gonna have to see what else I can interrogate the candidates with now - or maybe not. Tbh, I'm happy with the replies so far and am going to have trouble making a choice.

3. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sorry lol, was just replying to the discussion with Phill, didn't intend to answer your question. Think three of the nominees btw are in Newcastle right now, living it up as Jedi in HMV :) You won't get a reply till later.
  4. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Shouldn't Star Wars always be the main driving force behind any chapter. This is one thing I've been thinking about since it got brought up sometime ago in another thread, at the moment I'm not sure where I stand with this since I don't see a problem with talking/and being about more than Star Wars. At the same time I see people wanting to talk about something else, they go to the Regional board.
    We I came to the TFN I came here because of my interest in Star Wars and I think thats why many more will do the same. Maybe for the time being we could start bringing in threads where people can talk about anything other than SW or meets to do with other Sci-Fi, though if that doesn't work then we should just stick with what we know best.
    We don't really want a clash of the fanboys no do we :p

Now heres a tough question :p Are you asking what I think the title means and what role I should play?
    The way I see it is that a CR is more than just a leader, he/she is as thier title say Chapter Representative and thats what I think they are, they represent the chapter. Being a CR should be more than a leader, more than a mod. They should be someone who as I've said already, they should represent us, the chapter, help run it and help with meets, someone to come to talk with.
    Now if this isn't what you where looking for in an answer, then I guess I don't know :p
  5. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think that's the kind of answer everyone is happy about Chris :cool: :D
  6. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just checking, I have a habit of missreading questions :p
  7. Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Knight

star 3
    Reply seems okay with me :)

It's not a trick question tbh lol
  8. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Nah I know it wasn't a trick question, I just wanted to make sure I understood it and had read it correctly. :)
  9. JONJEDI Force Ghost

star 5
    Good luck to those going for CR! I think it will be a close battle between the Spikes.

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/JonJediLFC/SVS.jpg]
    Spike Vs Spike
  10. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  11. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    If I was in the North, I'd vote for Cozmic :)
  12. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I wouldn't be too fast to predict anything in an election, we have four strong personalities up as contenders this time round. Good luck to you all when voting starts.

Everyone and their mother has been questioning the "leader" comment I made, as I said it wasn't my personal agenda, it was part of FF policy. How much it is followed will be down to the individual chapters, but just so you realise I ain't plucking terms out of thin air, this is where I was taking it from -
    **I'd make a great moderator! Can you list me as the moderator for my city?

FanForce does not recognize moderators in the traditional sense. Instead moderators have been effectively replaced by City Representatives (CR's.)

City Representatives must be (first and foremost,) leaders -- capable of organizing and supporting an entire community of city-wide fans. As a CR, you are there to serve and represent your organization. You must garner their trust and their support. They have to believe that you can be called upon to represent them and TFN in any capacity. They are responsible for the group in situations such as finances and contracts, and therefore must be at least 18 years of age.

A key point to understand is that CR's do not appoint themselves as such. As FanForce is essentially "for the fans, by the fans," we trust that CR's can, and will, be appointed by the cities themselves. We expect that this will stem from cities meeting together, planning activities together, and communicating on the forums together. FanForce cities will use these avenues to decide on a CR.

Fan Force FAQ - located here in "Fan Force General > Communications".

Another copy of that is located elsewhere, you can't see that. That is where I was taking the info from. If you want to debate it, up to you, and each chapter will have to find their own route at the end of the day. But like I said, it wasn't me making up the rule/guideline, I was repeating what earlier mods on the Fan Force forums have come up with. Like many things, it's not set in stone, but its a guideline that allows us to at least know when something is working, and when it isn't.

Candidates should also read the CR Code of Conduct - located here. As I said, we are expected to follow different guidelines than normal posters, and because you are in a titled position you are likely to face at times unnecessary and unjustified abuse from some quarters, remember why you are in the job - to better/help the group formed of the people you hopefully call friends, and to do something more with your fandom than just sit at home looking at a computer screen.
  13. Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Knight

star 3
    [:D]

You don't have to defend the use of "leadership".

As a member of the North, you are entitled to say what you expect of your CR - being RSA makes no difference when it comes to this Chapter. So you have pretty colours. Bah, don't think that will earn you any brownie points with us lot. We love you for your leaflet addiction and information gathering skills, not your pretty green eyes and ban stick :p
  14. spike_thmid Jedi Master

star 4
    hmmm.....a lot has happened on here I see :eek:

leadership is a difficult thing to define, as we have already seen. IMO in regards with CR (espically with our chapter) the leadership comes with just being their if needed, making new members feel welcomed & yes taking the lead on the major meets.

but as myself & Sie were discussing last night in Newcastle, non of us need our hands holding - we are all quite capable or putting forward ideas and carrying them out, and that is excellent. I would like to think that whoever gets voted in as CR would allow this to continue, yes give support but you need to know when....

[face_laugh] at that poster Jon, but as Tim said there are 4 strong nominees standing for CR
  15. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_thinking] I was almost certain that this thread was for the North Elections????

Lets hear from the nominees please rather than derailing the thread.

Thank you all. o_O
  16. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Fatburt: I love Star Wars, more than any other sci-fi, so Star Wars would remain the focus for FFUK: North with me as CR, but, I welcome all other discussion about other sci-fi. I'm a regular viewer of Star Trek, Stargate, Andromeda, Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who, and I'm always up for talking about them, but we came here because of Star Wars, and it shouldn't be forgotten just because we're all used to it :p

Caroline: The leadership thing, well, I'll have to give you the definition I learned at uni (in my own words, since I've forgotten the proper wording :p). A leader is someone who inspires the people under them (figuratively speaking in this instance, of course) to work through their appeal of personality, rather than through threats of force, coersion etc.

What that means to being CR, is that to be a leader, you don't have to be a dictator. You just have to inspire the FFUK: North members, because they don't need to be told what to do. A CR in this case, as myself and Mr. Thmid were saying last night, just needs to be around to help and guide new members, rather than the old ones, who know exactly what they're doing and what they want.

And Jon, love that poster, dude, but each one of the four nominees has a good chance, and I'm happy to lose to any of them, because the North is in good hands whoever wins.
  17. jedi_master_booth Jedi Master

star 3
    This is going to be a close fight The Battle of the Two Spikes

What do you Feel is the Most Inportant part of being a CR ?
  18. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_frustrated] hey - dont forget Cozmic and Lord O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![face_frustrated]
  19. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It feels so nice to be writen off so early!
  20. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Doing a good job and making sure that FFUK: North members everywhere are happy with the direction the CR is taking them.
  21. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Coz, as I said above, all four people have a strong chance of getting this, so if someone makes a comment like that, ignore it.

Dave, you should know better.
  22. jedi_master_booth Jedi Master

star 3
    Question for everyone standing to be the CR

What is the most Inportant thing you feel about being a CR

23. spike_thmid Jedi Master

star 4
    Well whoever gets the vote for CR will automatically become the "face" of the Northern Chapter. This will mean that their actions on the boards and at meets will reflect not only on themselves but on the whole chapter. The new CR must also give over a good impression by greeting new members as soon as they can & help new members settle in and feel welcome.

This is where I feel the greater responsibility will be felt.
  24. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm away for a day and look at the backlog of questions. :eek: Ok. Here goes:

can you give us an example of when you have had to use your organisational skills and how did the example turn out?

Well, In my everyday job I have to organise about 10 checkout operators, keep the tills running smooth, keep a difficult boss happy, and in between all that help with anything else that needs doing and I've managed to keep the natives from rioting.

In terms with the boards I've only had to organise every part of a meet in my own SW marathon, and I think that went well. Everyone made it to my house, left the next morning fed, watered and with the sense of achievement that can only come from watching the whole SW saga and still managing to sit through half of the Ewok movie without resorting to ritual suiside.

how would you approach a difficult situation, lets say at a meet there is conflict between members?

Completely depends on the situation, If someone came to me with a serious problem I will put on my serious head and do my best to sort it out, I feel that any problem can be resolved if you are willing to admit that you may have been wrong, however I won't be afraid to tell someone they're beeing an ass and to grow up if its what they need. We're all adults here so there is no reason we can't continue to get along as we have been.

how do you maintain momentum when the boards are just just plain quiet at times?

No one person can do this, sure I can make the boards seem busy by posting randome rubbish of the net, but ultimatly its up to all of us to keep these boards a vibrant place. And if at times things get a bit quiet I wouldn't worry, so long as we're all united under a common interest we'll all be back doing what we've done so well this past year.
  25. Lord_Ogli Force Ghost

star 4
    Terry, Tim, Phil, Caroline (sorry if I missed anyone from the question of):

Define "leadership" based on your knowledge of how this chapter currently works (incorparating: Is Star Wars to be the continued focus for the Northern Chapter or are we to be a Sci Fi/Fantasy fan club with a heavy Star Wars tilt?)

There is so much to say on this matter. As Tim pointed out there is an "Official" quideline to what a CR is, but as has been stated some FF groups have interprated this to be what works for them, which is why I say guideline as they are still FF.

No group will be the same on this because everyone has a different view on what FF is. Fan Force doesn't have to be about any one thing, We all love Star Wars, thats why we're here, but most of us have other loves with it. I like so much Sci-fi and Fantasy. Star Wars, Trek, Firefly, BSG, Vampire Cronicals, LotR. I could go on forever and I would love to see these boards full of fans of them all. Star Wars I feel will still be at the core of our group, Its fast becoming part of our Identity to costume as Jedi as it is for the UKG to be stormtroopers, But that doesn't mean I won't get involved in other cosplay for events like collectomania where I plan to be able to have different ones each time at some point coz it can only attract more people who are interested.

This is for me what is at the heart of Fan Force, like minded people coming together for fun. We then choose what form that fun takes, be it pub and pizza meets, cinema, cosplay events or charity work and this is why I think we're one of the best, because we want to do it all. We won't be constrained to beeing what other chapters are because we want to do it all, and as such we have the potential to have an unlimited fanbase. You like SW, its here for you, You like other Sci-fi/fantasy, theres something here for you, You don't like pubs, there are other activities for you to join, you hate Cosplay, its not at every meet, and by beeing up for anything new members will see that if what they like hasn't been done yet, there will be people willing to give it a try.

So what kind of leader is needed for this? Someone who has no agender. I don't really want to see FFUK:N go in any direction but up, and whatever road takes us there is fine by me, The only kind of leader a CR needs to be is to be there and encourage everyone to make their own fun coz thats when it becomes magic. I didn't quite get it right when I said CRship is my hobby, Fan Force is my hobby, beeing CR is just a tiny fraction of that and as such it isn't who I am as a poster and so CR or not, I won't change, I'm me and I'm here to stay.

Ok, I'm going a bit hippy now so I'll stop there, its a bit of an essay as it is and since I've just written it off the cuff it'll probably confuse the hell out of everyone so feel free to ask for clarification on any point.

Peace out [face_peace]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.