main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Please read: New leadership announcement and moderator guidelines

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Commander Antilles, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Part A:
    • In order to distribute the admin workload to prevent burnout and admins possibly not being available when needed, the TFN staff have decided to split areas of responsibility between several admins, as follows:

NathanDahlin and MysterySith will remain as a JC and FanForce administrator respectively, but they will be joined by myself and Vertical, while Scott, Josh and Britany will have admin status to deal with any crisises and to act as the intermediaries between the JC and TFN staff. Nathan will keep track of the board status, eg what new forums and moderators have been added; I will handle complaints and problems with users and moderators, and FanForce duties should MysterySith be unable to deal with them; and Vertical will handle security and things like serial trolls.

Part B:
    • New moderator guidelines have been drawn up which broadly consist of the following:

- The moderators are subject to the same rules as the regular members, if not more so due to their leadership roles, which covers their posts in the private admin boards. This applies both on the JC, off it at other boards, and in real life. EG, posting on the boards while drunk could lead to demotion.
      - The moderators will try to create a friendly, positive atmosphere, through curbing flaming of other sites and users, and keeping the JC at a PG level of content.

If you have any questions or comments on the foregoing, please post them here.

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Moderators still get one free banning, right? ;)

I already looked over the rules and I can't say as I'm surpirsed, Nazi's we are not.

3. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    How many people have to die (Tragic, I know) before I'm in charge?

4. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Countless.

5. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    Edit 2-Well, I got to hand it to you, this is a great step in the right direction. Kudos to los modos.

6. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    bah,cigam well at least you have some colors

7. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    hmmm rules and regulations, division of authority and labour, this smacks of fascism!

8. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Ah, good, cause that's what we're going for. Just so long as people are getting the idea :)

Vertical

9. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    cigam, you're also got a speicialized version of the ultimate icon. :)

10. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Will Darth Dark Helmet be taking over posting official things in this forum before you turn the whole board orange CA? :D ;) :p

¤Night

11. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    EG, posting on the boards while drunk could lead to demotion.

Fortunatly, I'm not a mod, and can't be demoted.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The moderators are subject to the same rules as the regular members, if not more so due to their leadership roles.

I would tend to say more so. Anyway, this is a good step to make, and we appreciate it.

13. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    We want to promote an egalitarian ideal that has long been missing from the public eye (though it is there; we do police ourselves).

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, I'm not sure that you have really done that as much as necessary in the past. That's why I'm glad this has been set down in writing and will hopefully be better enforced now.

15. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    yeah, maybe, cos when you set out visible rules, you have to abide by them, either that or you might as well start wearing leather trousers and jackboots

16. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    ...And nothing will seem to be what it is!

17. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Not only are there visible rules, but there is now an official and specific 'leadership' structure in place for such a situation as grievances against any mods.

In addition to what CA said, we'd like to also mention that this new 'leadership council', as it were, will be in place until the middle of the year, at which time the members of the council and their performance will be reviewed by TFN staff to determine if the positions need to be rotated out to other members of the team, for whatever reason. So, while it's entirely possible that these positions will remain filled by myself, Nathan, CA, MysterySith, Scott, and Josh, you could see some changes if things aren't working out for whatever reason, be it waning time online, or problems fulfilling the duties, or whatever (although I'd venture to say that MysterySith, Scott, and Josh are will be permanent).

Also, these new groundrules outline how the mods are to behave, and the ideal environment that we want to achieve here. Specifically, these guidelines address the treatment of newbies, both by mods and members. We want these forums to be a fun place for everyone, and we don't want newbies to feel intimidated or frustrated by either the members or the moderators here.

In other words: we all must play nice with the newer members of the forums, and that's now official standard operating procedure, with potential consequences for failure to live up to that.

Vertical

18. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Very fair rules, if I do say so myself.

I'm just glad that equality is being pushed at the JC. With these guidelines clearly explained and visible to anyone who wishes to do so, it push out any remaining ideas that the Mod Squad is not infallible and they're subject to the same reprimanding as anyone else would receive for the same infraction.

19. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    The moderators are subject to the same rules as the regular members, if not more so due to their leadership roles, which covers their posts in the private admin boards. This applies both on the JC, off it at other boards, and in real life. EG, posting on the boards while drunk could lead to demotion.

It's good to see this in writing as there are probably some who do not feel that this is the case.

20. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    The moderators are subject to the same rules as the regular members

Bah!

I refuse to post at a board that doesn't allow it's admins to be above the law!

21. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
    You made faraday a mod?

Oh sweet jebus

22. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    >>We want to promote an egalitarian ideal that has long been missing from the public eye (though it is there; we do police ourselves).<<

You come down hard and publically on the next mod to get out of line (and I don't mean a "we told him not to do it again" type punishment) and I'll believe it. Until that time, those remain empty words.

Not that you care at all what I or any other member of this board think, of course.

23. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    That's not true. We seriously listen to what regular users say. Look at the Fine Arts Forum idea; at the Senate Floor; at the RP Forum - all regular user ideas that have been (or will be, we think) implemented.

If a user feels a mod should be punished tell us and shout it from the rooftops, via PM. Don't sit back after the fact and say "You shoulda done this..." because that shows apathy on your part.

24. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Lord Bane - I totally agree with that. Every mod I've ever had to talk to about something has been more than helpful.

25. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    CA and LB:

Speaking just for myself, I appreciate your openness recently with threads like this and the announcement of the new mods. This place will be better for it. Keep up the good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.