main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Please Read: Rules on the Usage of EU in this forum.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Dark Helmet, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Alright, this is the new thread for this. These are the two rules that I'm laying down for this forum as far this whole damned EU/Canon debate goes.

EUers. No stating that EU is canon or the ONLY correct solution to a question. You may present an EU answer as an answer, but not the "right" answer. You may know everything about what goes on in the EU, but some people have never heard of it. They may be looking for a number of different theories on an answer, and to present yours as the absolute, is the wrong way to do things.

Purists. No rejecting theories purely because they are EU. If you see an EU idea presented as an answer, and you don't agree with it, politely state your disagreement. Say, "Well, that answer is from the EU, I think it happens this way instead..." Don't go off on tangents about how the EU sux, and how Zahn in a talentless hack, or how the NJO is destroying your life. Continue on with the discussion in a normal way. The EU is just another idea to be presented for discussion.

Any thread that breaks down into a deabte about what is or is not canon will be closed. The thread starter is more then welcome to re-start the thread. But I'm getting tired of threads that after three posts break down into a debate about whether or not the EU is canon. If you have to debate it, take it to PM, or e-mail, I don't care, but keep all threads on topic. This thread here: The cave in TESB. Some one explain its meaning. is a good example. There are some good posts int hat thread, but it is ruined by off topic bickering. So no more. Threads stay on topic. If you repeadtly try and take threads off topic, and into this debate, you may be banned for it, no matter if you are an EUer, or a purist.

If someone from either side tries to incite a flame war, or a fight over this, just point them to this thread. If they still persist, PM a mod and action will be taken.

But to everyone, just remember that we're here first and foremost to have fun discussing movies. Use some common sense in what you're going to post.

Cool with everyone? :)

2. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    just remember that we're here first and foremost to have fun discussing movies.

Too right that's cool :)

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Wow, El Deepo.

4. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I know that this thread is going to get 15,000 replies, so I just wanna be one of the first. I agree with this policy. Good Job

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I agree with the policy. It can only make the forums and the SW fan community a better place.

6. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    That's great. I've been practicing that all along (I often supply EU answers to questions but never force anyone to accept them) but it's nice to re-iterate it for everyone to abide. :)

7. Tropical_Plumber

Tropical_Plumber Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Isn't this the same policy we've had all along? What's the point? It's a good policy, but there are a dedicated few who will never follow it.

8. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    What you think your better than the mods now Tropical_Plumber? You think you know how to run the forums better than they do? Tsk Tsk Tsk. One day when I am in control your kind will be a long forgotten race. Behold I WILL CRUSH THE NAYSAYERS!

:subliminal:make me a mod:subliminal:

9. Tropical_Plumber

Tropical_Plumber Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    ^I wasn't putting down the mods. This is probably the best that can be done. I'm just pointing out that there are certain posters that have never followed these rules, and I doubt that they ever will.

10. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I was joking man, lighten up.

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    TP...
    "What's the point? It's a good policy, but there are a dedicated few who will never follow it."

The feeling I'm getting is now there will be specific, personal accountability for trolls who go out of their way to derail a discussion involving the EU and enforcement of such by the mods.

That is, if you think there's a "dedicated few who never follow it," - well it looks like things might be different for them from now on.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    DDH:

How dare you take my words and claim them as Jedi Merkurian's :p

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    halibut, if you're going to actually claim credit for what you said, at least spell my name right! :p :D

Hey, nice sig! I didn't know you were a Buffy fan!

D'oh! I'm off-topic! [face_blush]

Uhhhh...yeah! Wut DDH sez! :D

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    JM: Dunno what you mean :p

BTW You're the first person to recognise where my quote comes from

To go back on topic. As an example, what would happen to the "Is Boba Fett Dead?" thread. I must admit I don't read it, cos I have my opinion and don't really care, but isn't this basically a "Is the EU 'theory' that Boba Fett is dead true?" topic. It's just a cover for a "Is EU canon" poll

Just a thought

15. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    The feeling I'm getting is now there will be specific, personal accountability for trolls who go out of their way to derail a discussion involving the EU and enforcement of such by the mods.

ammusing how you left out the part about the trolls who are constantly telling purists that their speculation is wrong because it contradicts something in the EU. i believe the "rules" are for both camps. there are just as many hardline EU fans as purists. i don't think it's fair to make either contingent the bad guys or to blame one side more than the other for thread hijacking. both sides are guilty, lets hope we can all move past it and just have fun.

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I fail to see where Genghis12 singled out any particular "faction" as being responsible for hijacking threads, vw_jedi. Guilty conscience? ;)

17. Darth_Tyrannous

Darth_Tyrannous Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    This is a good idea, probably keep the newbies who dont know about the hatred for the EU 'round here to get basher hard

18. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I'm sorry, this is an "Expanded Thread," I refuse to listen... ;)

I never say how EU sucks, I just go by the movies, but good idea! The ignorance will go WAY down!

19. Wesmin7

Wesmin7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2001
    vw_jedi: Genghis12 was talking to people would refuse to accept the Mod's new set of rules, do not assume that he was speaking directly to you and try to retaliate by calling EU'ers 'trolls'. Carrying over from what I had said on CA's thread: these statements might spark a flame.

20. Wesmin7

Wesmin7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2001
    Do the rules stated here apply in the Misc. Forum, because they are having a EU/canon debate there right now that has the potential to get very nasty very quickly.

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    I'm sorry, this is an "Expanded Thread," I refuse to listen...

BAH! This thread is completly canon. Consider it a Special edition. ;)

And the punishment for thread de-railing will go both ways. EUers and Purists.

Don't take this to mean I'm limiting discussion in any way, you can still discuss things and present any idea, just use common sense.

22. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    I fail to see where Genghis12 singled out any particular "faction" as being responsible for hijacking threads, vw_jedi. Guilty conscience?

hmmmm lets see could this line perhaps be singleing out purists as the derailers?
    The feeling I'm getting is now there will be specific, personal accountability for trolls who go out of their way to derail a discussion involving the EU
    i mean an EU fan would not "derail" a discussion that involves the EU. so i wonder who he is talking about? are you still failing to see my point merkurian?

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Please let's not have this thread degenerate into bickering. As far as I see, that staement by Ghengis is perfectly unbiased, it doesn't single out anyone group.

24. T_16

T_16 Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2002
    I believe the rules are good. I also believe that bickering is pointless. I do however also think that that statement was biased against the so called "puists." if everyone is to get along the first thing we have to do is stop pointing fingers and all accept responsibility for what we say regarding other peoples beliefs. purists and EU fans alike. it is all SW after all right?

25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Wut DDH sez! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.