main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Please Read: Rules on the Usage of EU in this forum.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Dark Helmet, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I think we could call it "Jimbo" or "Fred" and people would still fight about it. :_|

2. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I say we call it Milhouse.

3. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
  4. Count_Drew-ku

Count_Drew-ku Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    For the record, I don't give a hoot who says what is canon, official, or continuos,

If it's in the films, or is implied by the films, or is an extension of the ideas from the films, then it should be discussed here.

What ppl fail to realise is that a lot of budding filmmakers also post here, and if we're trying to discuss concepts from that perspective, it doen't matter if GL himself wrote the book, it just isn't relevant.

Things like "what is the meaning behind the cave in ESB" well that has many answers, some EU, some speculation, and some are about the mythological meanings and the "rite of passage" aspect of the scene.

"Yoda fought a dark Jedi there" is totally and utterly irrelevant in a film forum from that perspective.

This forum is for discussion of the films, not the Lit forums film discussion group.

BAD

5. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
  6. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Up

Crap. I dind't realize how wrong that above post looked. For the record, the "Bad" was and edit of naughty things I took out of the post. Not the idea of the post itself.

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Lord Dark Helmet...
    "Not the idea of the post itself..."

Which was in itself sort of screwy. Count_Drew said...
      If it's in the films, or is implied by the films, or is an extension of the ideas from the films, then it should be discussed here.

Well, considering the last two out of three squarely cover the EU - implied by the films, or is an extension of the ideas from the films - that's why the strong connection to the EU here.

The only way this will stop is when people merely "discuss ideas" about the films in the proper forum - Fan Fiction, which is described as being the proper forum for just that sort of thing. While everyone as a whole continues to discuss things not in the films themselves, but does discuss things implied by the films or an extension of the ideas of the films, then of course there's always going to be discussion of the EU. That's exactly what the EU is - stories implied by the films and stories which are extensions of the ideas given in the films.

That's not too hard to see, IMO.

8. Count_Drew-ku

Count_Drew-ku Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Discuss the EU in the lit forum, fan fiction, WHICH SPECULATION IS SMEGGING NOT! in the fan fiction forum.
    And the films, and film concepts and ideas in this forum.

I had a whole rant here, suffice it to say that your suggestion is among the most ignorant, trouble seeking posts I have seen in a long while.

I challenge you, go find a mod in charge of the movie forums who thinks that's a good idea, and stop trying to turn this place into the Lit. forum's film & EU discussion group.

9. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Flamers and trolls go home, please.

10. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Regarding these above quotes from Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek:

"This is exactly the sort of policy that I have been trying to push for quite some time. I have looked over a lot of the derailed threads, and nearly all of them can be linked to a purist rejecting the EU answer just because it is EU."

"I obey the rules to the letter. I'm sorry if you don't see that."

"But why does it matter? You can still ignore the EU answer if you like. The only ones causing problems on these forums are the purists because they feel the need to visciously attack the EU at every turn. If they would just ignore the EU answers if they don't like them, all problems would melt away."

In this thread from September '01, describing the same policy that has now been slightly revised, expanded upon and officially established by Darth Dark Helmet in this very thread, the same poster above was quoted as saying:

"Everything in the EU happened in the Star Wars universe. Period. If you don't believe me, go look at LFL's policies on the subject. Therefore, I do not have to say if my source is EU or not; if it is a Star Wars source, that is all you need to know.

There is no longer any distinction between the EU and the movies. You can choose to believe there is if you wish, but that is your opinion, and it is contrary to the facts."

"I am right until proven wrong and therefore, anyone who wants to disagree with me must provide evidence to support their side."

Well... glad you've since changed.

Thank goodness this current EU policy is firmly in place. It's about time. And it's concise, to boot! Big big kudos to DDH.

11. SkywalkerDude

SkywalkerDude Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
  12. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Just bringing this up.

13. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    "and stop trying to turn this place into the Lit. forum's film & EU discussion group."

Also stop trying to turn this place into the AotC and TPM forum's PT and OT forum. This is the classic trilogy forum as long as they don't fuse them together.

14. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The "example thread" in the rules no longer exists, and I haven't personally seen any good examples too lately. But anyways, here's a "revision" I sorta made:

[hr][hr][hr][hr]

[blockquote][b]EUers.[/b] [i]No stating that EU is canon or the ONLY correct solution to a question. You may present an EU answer as an answer, but not the "right" answer. You may know everything about what goes on in the EU, but some people have never heard of it. They may be looking for a number of different theories on an answer, and to present yours as the absolute, is the wrong way to do things.[/i]

[b]Purists.[/b] [i]No rejecting theories purely because they are EU. If you see an EU idea presented as an answer, and you don't agree with it, politely state your disagreement. Say, "Well, that answer is from the EU, I think it happens this way instead..." Don't go off on tangents about how the EU sux, and how Zahn in a talentless hack, or how the NJO is destroying your life. Continue on with the discussion in a normal way. The EU is just another idea to be presented for discussion.[/i]

[b]Any thread that breaks down into a deabte about what is or is not canon will be closed. The thread starter is more then welcome to re-start the thread. But I'm getting tired of threads that after three posts break down into a debate about whether or not the EU is canon. If you have to debate it, take it to PM, or e-mail, I don't care, but keep all threads on topic. There are some good posts in certain threads, but they are ruined by off topic bickering. So no more. Threads stay on topic. If you repeadtly try and take threads off topic, and into this debate, you may be banned for it, no matter if you are an EUer, or a purist. [/b]

If someone from either side tries to incite a flame war, or a fight over this, just point them to this thread. If they still persist, PM a mod and action will be taken.

But to everyone, just remember that we're here first and foremost to have fun discussing movies. Use some common sense in what you're going to post. [/blockquote]

15. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Ah-ha. Right here is a good example of a big debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.