main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN Please...Vote For Lito!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Leo79, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leo79

Leo79 Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2009
    If you already know about this and voted, that's great.

But for those who don't know, Lito (my husband) is competing in a Sean Connery Impression Contest being held by the Indy Cast. The 2nd and FINAL Round has arrived. It's quick and easy to vote!

Go to: http://www.theindyopinion.com/ConneryContest.html

Listen to Lito's impression and please vote for him! Thank you, everyone! Hope you all are doing well! Pass this on to others as well to vote for Lito!

2. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    Even in the initial phase, I have to say he was hands down the best. I still say it is the case. His skills and talents come through on the audio clips.

3. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Agreed

4. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    Thank you guys. I'm flattered...!

5. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Now if it had only ended with "I've got to ask you about the Pen Is Mightier" :D

6. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

Sep 21, 2004
    I made mention of this in my post about the latest Podcast: the second and final round of competition for the "IndyCast" Connery Contest was terminated early due to a bunch of fraudulent votes that were cast. If you want the details, here they are...

As of last Tuesday morning, the 2nd round had been "live" online for about 10 days and about 311 total votes had been cast; approximately the same number of total votes cast for the entire 1st round. Given that, one could logically assume that the total number of votes for the 2nd round wouldn't get much higher.

At that point, these were the approximate stats: 232 votes for me, 79 votes for Ed, a 75% to 25% lead (I say approx. because I'm going by memory)

One of the best parts about the site being used to host the contest was that if one clicked on the "Comment" button in the lower left-hand corner of the voting box, it would open a new page that featured voting data. This page featured a map of the world, and on it were colored "balloons" that showed not only WHO the vote was placed for, but also the EXACT city it was cast from, and the date and time the vote was cast. When I checked the map on Tuesday morning, it was a sea of green "dots" (votes for me) with a few red "dots" here and there (not trying to brag, just stating facts).

Later that day, my friend Jim IM'd me, asking, "What is going on with the Connery Contest? Have you seen the poll lately?" (turns out he'd been keeping close tabs on the contest just as my wife, Jennifer and I had). Sure enough, since that morning (a span of less than six hours) about 60 more votes had been cast...and ALL of them were for Ed. I told myself, "I figured the gap would close sooner or later". The next day, approximately another 70 votes had been cast...again, all for Ed.

But what made this sudden influx of votes so strange besides an apparent unexpected and widespread interest in the poll by voters was that not only had all the new votes been cast for Ed...but also the new votes were not represented on the geographic data map. If Ed had received more than 100 votes of support in less than two days, the data on the map should've changed to reflect this fact, allowing one to see where or when those votes had been placed. But the map had NOT changed in appearance at all; there was no new group of red dots symbolizing this latest show of support on his behalf.

Obviously, I was puzzled...and more than a little skeptical. Jim and I discussed the situation and he surmised the answer I feared: someone was placing fraudulent votes for Ed. He then explained how easy this was to do given the way the poll site worked. I was flabbergasted because I knew that if this kept up, within days I would be trailing in the challenge. I had no problem with the idea of losing, but only if it was in a fair race. These huge swaths of new votes for Ed were obviously false, but what could I do...?

Later that day, someone placed about 80 votes for me...none of which showed up on the map either. I figured it must've been someone trying to offset the amount of false votes Ed received. Since I was hoping for an honest win, I wasn't thrilled...but, at the same time, I wasn't terribly upset. After all, I had honestly earned my initial margin, and even with the new false votes cast on my behalf, my lead had shrunk by more than 15%. And, given that it seemed that the guy running the poll (Rob Magee) seemed either oblivious to the situation or content to do or say nothing about it, I knew someone had taken it upon themselves to "right the wrongs" made on Ed's behalf.

By Thursday, the total number of votes swelled to just under 500. Jennifer, a couple friends and I inspected the map and took the time to count each and every vote found on the map; NONE of the last 200 votes were legit. By Friday afternoon, the total number of votes had exploded to over 700 despite the fact that just THREE days before, it was at 311. There was no denying that someone was inflating the numbers for Ed, then someone was in turn retaliating on my beha

7. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Now I'm absolutely intrigued. Let us know when the contest continues.

"Contest Nazis. I hate those guys..."

8. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

Sep 21, 2004
    I don't think the contest is technically ever going to continue. I'm just hoping Rob at least gives me recognition for a "win"...

Because if things had continued the way they were, I would've run away with the thing. Again, not trying to be conceited...just stating the facts as we saw them.

9. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    I will have to tune into the next Indycast. Perhaps they will have more details. Sorry to hear about the fudging. That's always disappointing. It would be very odd to keep getting even number increments like that as well. Sometimes just one person can mess a lot of things up.

Well your skill was definitely evident and I think any that listened to it, would agree.

10. bobafettesb

bobafettesb Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2010
    Lito is the best.........around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.