main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pledge of Allegiance ruled unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Chris2, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Oh wait - looks like I can't pay the IRS, U.S. currency should be unconstitutional.

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Being forced to say the pledge may be considered wrong no matter what the wording is, if you want to get that technical.

Do you have to say it or not? Because to my knowledge, every student must say it each day before school.

The words, 'under God', however is not an endorsement of any particular religion. Athiesm isn't a religion as far as I know.

Athiesm is a lack of religion. My way of thinking is this: think of religions as colours, and athiesm as white. If you remove all aspects of religion (color) from society, what you're left with is athiesm as the official religion (white is all that remains). Follow?

3. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Well I'm pleased albeit a little baffled why anyone would bother suing over something like that. It's my personal opinion that religion shouldn't be anywhere near a government

but

I figured as long as it wasn't mandatory one should just leave tradition be.

So what now? Are we reminting all our money, taking out the "In God We Trust?"

4. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I personally don't know what today's laws are regarding 'having' to say it. Many posts I've read thus far indicate that it isn't forced. It's been many moons since I've said it before school, so I cannot say for certain. Someone else may be able to answer that.

Athiesm - I understand what you're saying. I would prefer to say that removing all religious elements wouldn't result in the 'religion' of athiesm, however. I guess I was getting too technical there myself, but I am not sure how the athiests here would feel about the way you worded it. ;)

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Okay, no one is forced to say the pledge, quite frankly no one ever cared about it in my high school. But we were forced to stand up and look like we're saying it. I agree and disagree with this ruling. The only reason why the majority is so upset is because most of the majority are bible toting morons. Sorry, I don't like the majority for that very reason. Oh that and they've tried to force their beliefs on me all my life. So while I sympathize with the majority I'm with the minority, if you don't wanna say the pledge-don't. Nobody cares whether or not you say the pledge anyways. And if they do they probably are that overbearing majority. :mad:

6. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    We had the pledge every morning in school, and although we 'had' to say it, I don't recall teachers going around listening to make sure there was vocal sound coming from each and every student. All one really had to do was stand with hand on chest.

By highschool, it was recited before the morning announcments over the PA, and most students just stood. I don't recall anyone ever getting chewed out for not saying it with the announcer. They only got reprimanded if they chatted with others during it.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone can FORCE kids to actually SPEAK it, much less speak those two particular words.

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Tell that to my 12th grade geometry teacher. Also, Atheism is a religion. I'd prefer to think of myself a realistic in not adopting any religion. In case you're wondering what I'am. :p

8. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I remember a case in San Diego County where a girl who refused to stand for the Pledge was suspended indefinitely by the school district. Of course, their decision was overruled by an appeals court (I think).

Bottom line - nothing prevents you from reciting the pledge, but no one can be forced to recite the pledge - or stand for it either.

9. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Damn, I should've sued the hell out of Overlea then for even making me look like I was saying it. :D

10. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    In that case the girl didn't actually sue for damages, she just sued to get back into school.

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Ahh....well still. I should sue. Well should've sued. Because they did tell teachers to make people say the pledge.

12. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    This is a sad day for the country, it is a country now totally owned by the lawyers, and the extreme leftists with their politically correct agenda.

:mad: :mad: :mad: + 10000000000000

:( DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Why is it bad? Yeeesh...it's just one part of the pledge, not the whole thing. It's not like they're burning the bible. :D

14. DESERTJEDI

DESERTJEDI Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Ahh....well still. I should sue.

Oh boy.

refer back to my post on page one for clarification.

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    LoL, think I'd sue the school? Naw. I could rub this ruling in my former principal's face though. :p

16. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Now let's not be catty about this 8-}

17. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I don't get the big deal about this. It's stupid to have in god we trust in our pledge and on our money as well. We're not a religious state, we believe in freedom of choice and if I don't choose to believe in god that's my right. Yet all these religious folk think everyone should believe their agenda. I highly doubt any school kid will care either. Most of the high schoolers at least. They're all jaded by society now and whatnot it doesn't effect them.

18. DESERTJEDI

May 18, 2001
    I think the PC agenda all together anymore is just paranoia. Its not about keeping a sanctity of god in these things such as the pledge.

IMHO I think to keep the word "God" on money and in the pledge is more of an homage to our forefathers, than a crazy religious idea to keep god forced onto people.

Anyway this is me forcing my religion on you. ;)

link

19. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    The Pledge of Allegiance is not in itself unconstitutional, it is the inclusion of the words "under God".

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. -- First Amendment, Constitution of the United States of America

In 1954, the US Congress and President Eisenhowere enacted legislation to CHANGE the pledge of allegiance to include the words "under God". Furthermore, President Eisenhower wrote at the time, "millions of our schoolchildren will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural schoolhouse, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty."

Seems to me like the President and the Congress were in violation of the First Amendment by enacting a law establishing that all people in the United States worshipped God.

Change the pledge back to the original.

20. DESERTJEDI

May 18, 2001
    In 1954, the US Congress and President Eisenhowere enacted legislation to CHANGE the pledge of allegiance to include the words "under God".

That was added in the 50's.

well that blows my theory out of the water now don't it. :D

21. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    Apparentally there's a lot of talk about the 'faith of the founding fathers'. Interestngly, the founding fathers were mainly agnostics, and often criticized the bible....

22. DESERTJEDI

May 18, 2001
    no wonder they were such brilliant men. ;)

23. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Actually, they were Deists.

24. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    So it is religious propaganda on our money. :eek: :p

25. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Yeah, who needs a symbol of masonry on the dollar bill anyways? 8-}